Ballroom Dance > 10 Questions for every Latin/Ballroom dancer on this forum!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by peggy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. peggy

peggy New Member

Hello! Im sort of new to danceforums, i never actually bothered creating an account although i have been reading here quite alot for the past months..

However im a bit bored at work and curious about the Latin/Ballroom people that hang around in here, so i composed 10 questions for your to answer , as a fun thing or maybe to get to know eachother better... Here you go..

1. Do you dance, Latin or Ballroom or Both?

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and cathegory?

3. Which is your favourite dance in Ballroom?

4. Which is your favourite dance in Latin?

5. Which is your weakest dance?

6. What brand and model is your ballroom/latin shoe?

7. Who is your favourite dancer (idol/inspiration)?

8. For how many years have you been dancing Latin/Ballroom?

9. Why did you start dancing Latin/Ballroom?

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latinballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?

2. dansa

dansa New Member

Latin only. But did a little bit of ballroom before.

Not yet, but soon class B Adult. (i live in europe so its different the classes)

Tango

Samba!

Samba! (I love it but its also the most difficult one for me)

Rayrose "Carmen"

Yulia Zagaroutchenko

I danced all my life all kinds of other dances, but LatinBallroom ive only done for a couple of months. However im picking up very fast!

Because i love Latin music and these /Latin/ dances looked most appealing to me then Salsa etc.. I always wanted to dance some kind of Latin dance...

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latinballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?
    My asset is that im very confident on the floor and im very good when it comes to expressing the dance. Facial expressions etc comes very natural to me. However my biggest problem is memorizing the choreography.. Thats something i always had big problems with.... Especially if im nervous!

3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Ballroom
    Yes, Championship
    Foxtrot
    Rumba
    hm.. samba
    Supa
    hmmmm. it changes... I really love an am couple that nobody here would have ever heard of
    abour 6 I think... or 5..
    because all my partners leaned towards ballroom, later the gap grew too large to castch up
    Still working on topline.. Asset used to be movement but that is going through funny transitions now as we try to clean things up...

4. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

First .... welcome!!!!!!!! :D

1. Both but primary focus is International Standard for now. Goal to compete all 19.

2. Not yet, but this spring I will compete in Newcomer/Novice and Pre-Bronze/Bronze

3.Favorite right now is Tango and Quick Step

4. Favorite for Latin is Cha-Cha-Cha

5. Weakest is Foxtrot and Rumba and Samba

6. Brand of shoe ... for standard is 1008 supadance and for latin is 1616 supadance

7. Favorite Dancer/Idol ... well it is Igor and Polina Pilipenchuck and Garry and Rita Gekhman. Though Nik and Natasha (he is on here) are quickly becoming my favorites too.

8. I have been dancing a little over 1 year now

9. I missed dance. I did classical ballet for 17 years and stopped when I got married/had children. I loved the grace and beauty of ballet but knew I did not have a future in it. Well ... ballroom fills that and I knew with enough hard work, perseverance and determination I could do something incredible with it. I love the grace and control. I don't know. It totally FITS in my life in so many areas and has brought me so much.

10. Asset: I would say is my drive and determination. Worst: Finding my center.

Dean likes this.
  5. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

1. Do you dance, Latin or Ballroom or Both? Both

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and cathegory? Yes. Right now competing pro/am latin (Silver) and Am/am Standard (Bronze and Silver)

3. Which is your favourite dance in Ballroom? Quickstep or Waltz - not sure.

4. Which is your favourite dance in Latin? Rumba

5. Which is your weakest dance? Foxtrot

6. What brand and model is your ballroom/latin shoe? Ballroom - Werner Kern Laura; Latin - Ray Rose Carmen

7. Who is your favourite dancer (idol/inspiration)? Yulia Z.

8. For how many years have you been dancing Latin/Ballroom? 3+ years

9. Why did you start dancing Latin/Ballroom? Wanted to take a Salsa class with my (then) husband for 6 weeks.

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latinballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with? Biggest asset - still trying to figure this one out...in latin, probably my flexibility and in general my natural rhythm/timing/musicality. Biggest problem - spins (balance) in Latin and in Standard it would be that I dance it like a latin dancer (turned out feet, lots of very straight legs, etc)...big habits I need to break so I can be proficient in both and not just a latin dancer dancing standard.

6. Glasswren

Glasswren New Member

Here are the answers of a 10-year old dancer. :D

Both.

As soon as I get a new partner. Juvenile 2E

Waltz and Quickstep

Samba

Tango

Roch Valley Phoebe

The current Junior 1 National Champions.

3½.

I was a flowergirl at a wedding and the groom danced with me. It was fun.:p

[/quote]

Good rhythm and good memory. Most struggling with the topline and hands in Standard and Bounce in Latin.

7. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Both.

No. I'd like to but finding a partner and the cost would probably be prohibitive. I'm settling for showcases for now.

Tango but I'm leaning toward Quickstep.

Bolero

Salsa but within the constraints of the questions, I'd say VW.

Have a pair of leather soled something or others and a pair of Supadance. I have no idea what the models are or remember the brand of the first pair.

My studio owner.

Took some swing lessons with ex-girlfriend and gradually moved into ballroom / Latin at same studio.

Asset? Geez, I dunno. I stick to it and practice as much as I can. I have a musical background so I understand tempos, rhythms, etc.

Biggest problem is my frame. My right shoulder gives me problems and I have a hard time keeping a decent frame once I start moving.

Hey, Glasswren, Olen suomilainen!

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Both.

Yes, full bronze to intermediate silver depending on the dance.

Waltz.

Politically correct answer: mambo. Politically incorrect answer: bolero.

Of the dances I actually do regularly, probably cha-cha. My samba is pretty atrocious, but I'm not motivated to work on it since I seldom get a chance to dance it.

I have several pairs of smooth shoes, and I don't recall all the brands. I have a pair of Ray Rose Cuban heels, and a pair of Capezio dance sneakers.

Don't really know that I have a favorite. I don't get to see pros dance that much. But when I need a motivational kick in the pants, I think of George Velasquez.

Hmm... 7 or 8, I don't remember for sure.

Originally it was a Christmas present to my DW; I went to the first lessons mainly for her sake. However, I got interested in it for myself. It was and still is a new challenge for me; I don't come from an arts background and I had never done anything like this before.

My biggest asset as a dancer is probably my expressiveness (which no one, including me, ever would have guessed when I was first starting out). My biggest problem? Muscle isolation.

Dean likes this.
  9. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Both, have much more fun and success with ballroom

Silver

Depends on the week...lately standard tango...or smooth foxtrot

Rumba...we have a love/hate relationship...but when it's good, mmmm

Samba or Paso Doble

Supadance for both...can't remember the numbers

For standard...love Arunas and Katusha
    Latin...Riccardo and Yulia (of course)

1 1/2

Friend's brother started teaching me in their driveway...then found a college team, and the rest, as they say, is history!

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latin/ballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?
    Best asset--hmmm...don't know...
    Biggest problem--hip actions

10. kimV6

kimV6 New Member

ballroom, though i guess it's not like i don't know how to dance latin. i'm just terrible at it.

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and category?
    novice/pre-championship

quickstep, though quickly becoming tango

jive

paso doble :p

supadance, i'm pretty sure

victor fung

3 and a half now

pretty girls and peer pressure

does hyper-competitiveness count as an asset?
    if i had to pick one problem, it would be my wandering head.

11. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I assume you mean Latin or standard; ballroom just means dancing you do with a partner, and as such can include dances like hustle, west coast swing, or salsa, so we use smooth and standard to refer to the classic traveling ballroom dances like waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, tango, and Viennese waltz. To answer your question, I have competed in both smooth and rhythm, the American versions of those categories.

I have competed as a professional in pro-am pre-Bronze and full Bronze. My amateur status has been pre-approved for reactivation in October, and I plan to compete am-am in Full Bronze smooth.

The waltz.

Paso doble.

Bolero.

Capezios for my smooth shoes (I strongly recommend against) and Supadance for my Latin (I strongly favor).

Julianne Hough, though I wouldn't call her an inspiration so much as a celebrity crush.

Nine years off and on, two and a half years seriously.

Loneliness.

My best asset is a rigorous work ethic and drive to practice. My biggest problem is a lack of finances for private coaching.

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

welcome to DF peggy!

13. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

First, welcome !
    Now answers.

Both, but Latin longer than standard.

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and cathegory? Looking for a new partner, with previous partner i competed since 1995 till 2007.

3. Which is your favourite dance in Ballroom? I love them all.

4. Which is your favourite dance in Latin? I love them all.

5. Which is your weakest dance? hm, to learn correctly slowfox.

standard - supadance (1012 or freed, latin - ray rose (drizzle), international (Laura), supadance (1618). for now.

7. Who is your favourite dancer (idol/inspiration)? i love joannas balance and speed, carmen's is a special category .....

Inter. Latin - 14 years, standard - 5 years

9. Why did you start dancing Latin/Ballroom? my mother signed me in a dance school as a kid, becuse i always loved to dance. after first hour i fall in love .....

i can practice, and practice and dancing will never get bored, a problem - i need a new partner.

14. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Best Asset - very strong work ethic and attention to detail.
    Biggest Problem - memorizing the choreography and increasing my confidence level.

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

In the US we use the term Standard, in Europe they say Ballroom. So yes, peggy is saying Latin and Standard, but Ballroom is a completely approriate word. But I use Ballroom occassionally too just becasue it is a word I hear so often from my European peers.

16. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

Both

Bronze/Whatever Vwaltz is offered in/Silver standard if I get bored

Tango

Samba

Paso, just as a lack of having more than a workshop or two of steps over the course of a year.

Star

My instructor... or her husband, not sure which is my favorite at the moment.

Competitively for one now, Socially for the semester before.

To try something different when I started college.

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latin/ballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?
    I'm a music person... The music tells me things and I just go along with it.
    My frame needs to be constant, my right shoulder goes random places.

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

1. Do you dance, Latin or Ballroom or Both?both

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and cathegory?bronze and silver pro/am ladies a-2

3. Which is your favourite dance in Ballroom?smooth; waltz, vw and tango, standard; everything, rhythm; cha, swing, bolero and mambo, latin; jive samba, and rumba

4. Which is your favourite dance in Latin? samba

5. Which is your weakest dance?rumba

6. What brand and model is your ballroom/latin shoe? supadance court shoe of any model for standard and smooth, don't know at the moment for latin

7. Who is your favourite dancer (idol/inspiration)?my former pro and my current pro as well as anna mikhed and larinda of course

8. For how many years have you been dancing Latin/Ballroom? 4 in january

9. Why did you start dancing Latin/Ballroom?because it gave me joy

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latinballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?[/quote]greatest assets are power in my movement, emotion, stamina and motivation...biggest problems are currently relaxing and staying forward in latin

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Thanks for the clarification Larinda. I thought that's what was meant, but wasn't sure.

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

One heck of a first post Peggy :) welcome to DF - do you dance too? And how about answering the questions for us (if you have not done so - I did not read the rest of the thread yeat)....

Maybe I'll do that and hear back from you before answering....

20. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Thank you for correcting me.