Ballroom Dance > 10 Questions for every Latin/Ballroom dancer on this forum!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by peggy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Krogholm

Krogholm Member

1. Do you dance Latin, Ballroom or both?
    International Standard - did Latin as well until a while ago, when we started to get more serious about competitions.

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and category?

Yes, in Standard. We don't have the Bronze/Silver/Gold levels in Denmark, so level is a good question...

3. Which is your favourite dance in Ballroom?
    I would have to say the Waltz, even though it is the one we consistently perform the worst :)

4. Which is your favourite dance in Latin?
    Paso Doble. Love the tension!

5. Which is your weakest dance?
    I would say Slow Foxtrot - it is the one that is the least developed at this point in time, but we have just started exploring a brand new choreography.

6. What brand and model is your ballroom/latin shoe?
    DSI

7. Who is your favourite dancer (idol/inspiration)?
    Emanuel Valeri

8. For how many years have you been dancing Latin/Ballroom?
    9 years - but only seriously for the past 3 years.

9. Why did you start dancing Latin/Ballroom?
    While watching the first season of "Dancing with the Stars" in Denmark, my wife and I looked at each other and said "That actually looks like a lot of fun!".

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing Latin/Ballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?
    My best asset is probably musicality - which is also part of the reason that Emanuel is my biggest inspiration. My biggest problem right now is that my floor craft could be much better, which is affecting me mentally (and some times physically...) during competitions.

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  2. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Just bumped into this old thread today.

Ballroom (standard).

Bronze & Silver Standard with most recent partner. Silver & Gold Standard with previous partner. Only am-am.

Slow Foxtrot. I love the music and the motion.

Rumba. I like the elastic connection and the challenge to stay balanced. I figure if I can balance on a locked knee that balance on soft knees will be easy!

Quickstep. I enjoy Quickstep but it can get messy at 200 bpm.

American Ballroom Classic (custom).

Victor Fung & Anastasia Muravyeva. It says dancer, singular, but in Standard the couple is the unit.

3 years dancesport, more years social and street styles.

Started to get fit and have fun. I did. I do.

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing Latin/Ballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?
    I follow well. Maintaining posture is my biggest problem because that would help everything else. I make lots of mistakes but most can be attributed to a misalignment of posture.

Dean and MaggieMoves like this.
  3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I'll add to it as well. It reminds me why I put so much hard work into it.

International Latin, but I've done all 4 styles in the past to some extent. I have by far the most experience in Latin.

I compete a lot less than I like. The last 18 months or so I've had a lot of foot & ankle injuries get the best of me. Pro-am I do at the open level, and with amateur partners I like to start on gold syllabus and move into open, which is what I'm doing now.

It is a tossup between Viennese Waltz and Quickstep... but honestly the rest of the dances in Standard aren't far behind.

Socially? Cha Cha. It's a fun, flirty dance that has a lot of music for it. Performing & competing though? Rumba. I love the emotion of it. With the right partner too I don't think there's a dance that showcases great connection.

Foxtrot.

I switch between Aida Karina and IDS Mia. I haven't really been dancing standard enough lately that I even have shoes for it.

My favorite couple was Maurizio & Andra. He danced much more manly than other dancers of his caliber, and she is just so grounded in her style.

15+ years.

British Grandmother. She learned it. I was ice dancing and figure skating and she surprised me by taking me to a lesson in NYC. My first dance was an international foxtrot. I was hooked since. My mom was mad when I dropped ice skating for it.

Footwork & body action for me has never been a problem. I practice enough where if it was, I'd need to reevaluate the time I spend on practice. My biggest problem is overthinking. I'm very mathematic and scientific in my dancing rather than just feeling the music. It tends to rear it's head the most when not in a typical closed position. I can get past it, but it takes a lot of work on my part.

Dean likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Since nine years have passed since I originally replied to this thread (waaaaay back on page 1), it's time for me to update my answers.

1. Do you dance, Latin or Ballroom or Both?

American style both (Smooth and Rhythm).

Not anymore. I think that part of my dance life has passed.

Waltz, same as nine years ago. I'll never get enough waltz. I have much more of an appreciation and feel for foxtrot than I used to. Have never gotten around to learning quickstep, and I'm not very motivated to do so since there are few opportunities to dance it around here.

Rumba and (ahem) bolero. But WCS has also become a favorite.

My salsa is not very good, and cha-cha could always use more work.

Don't remember, and I'm not motivated enough to go down to the car and find out.

Don't know that I really have one. I'll always enjoy watching Michael Mead and Toni Redpath.

Over 15 years now.

Originally it was a Christmas present to my DW; I went to the first lessons mainly for her sake. However, I got interested in it for myself. It was and still is a new challenge for me; I don't come from an arts background and I had never done anything like this before. I've kept it up although DW has not been able to dance for about three years now due to foot issues.

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latinballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?

I'm completely changing my answer here. Apparently, my biggest asset is my partnership skills. I'm surprised to find that that's the answer, but lately I've just really been in tune with a lot of the partners I dance with, and that seems to be a much bigger thing than any actual physical skills that I have. I'm not at all sure what to attribute this to; maybe it's the Ramones phenomenon -- if you practice something long enough, you eventually get pretty good at it, whether you intend to or not. Lately, my biggest problem has been that I'm slow to learn choreography. (I've always had that problem, but it has become more significant now that I'm doing a lot of showcase and exhibition dancing.)

5. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

Ballroom and Latin, occasional smooth

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and cathegory?

Yes, currently gold, age B

I don't really have a favourite, I like them all!

Same as above. I love the versatility of dances within latin.

It varies. I'd say tango or samba

I wear Aidas, Model 66 for latin, 122 for practice, and 40 for standard

Way too many to narrow down!

Almost 8

Always wanted to do it, so one day I just did!

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing latinballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?

I have a lot of self-discipline, so that helps me keep consistent with practice, etc. I have a lot of drive and determination that keeps me going. My biggest problem is no partner so have to manage the resources to do pro/am to keep dancing.

Dean, Sania and flying_backwards like this.
  6. Dean

Dean New Member

both

Yes. Standard, moving from silver to gold. But partner is in the process of dumping me.

All 5. Started loving waltz, then foxtrot, then tango. Now really love all 5 of them. And my goal is to show the distinct characteristics for each one of them.,

Rumba. Only dance I learned in Latin, learning Samba now.

For standard, having a difficult time with the timing of QS. And always VW, the simplest, yet the most difficult. Of course Samba for Latin, can not coordinate my feet with my body motion.

capezio for practice. I had couple shoes for competition, but like neither, probably because I bought these on sale. Next time I will try full price.

YouTube. So many great dancers! Loved so many free videoes from youtube. Especially the World Super Star Dance Festivals! Also the aged Blackpool congress videoes!!! And recently, videoes from "The Camp"!!!

Started from 2014.

Wife forced me to take this adult ballroom class. I almost quit halfway through the first semester, the dance was rumba. For any Asian male not born and raised in Latin America, rumba is just so unnatural. But my wonderful gentleman teacher constantly encouraged me! And those YouTube basic rumba videos are fantastic! really made me fell in love with the dance, Franco & Oxana, Sergey & Melia, and especially Michael & Joanne!!! Then second semester was international waltz, the waltz music is just so beautiful, I felt like I had to dance with the waltz music on.

Not sure, if it counts as the "best asset", how about my "thick skin". As I dance more and more, I realize more and more things I could do much better, while I am constantly striving for perfection, at the same time, I "give myself a break". Maybe because I am a middle age man, or maybe I just have "thick skin", I always have a blast while I am either performing or competing, somehow I could ignore my numerous "imperfections" and thoroughly having a great time. And the most important thing is that I put in the work everyday, I practice everyday (almost, one day off per week), I know I am improving every day, no matter how tiny the improvement is.

Of course, many problems with my dancing right now. The biggest is isolation, particularly closing the rib cage. However, the most frustrating thing in dancing is to find a partner, that would work for both.

Sania likes this.
  7. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Well @Dean let me or one of the other amateur partner seeking ladies here on DF help with that! You seem like you would be a great partner to work with. If you want to share location, height or such specifics here, please do, or via pm.

Sania and Caroline Skipper like this.
  8. 1. Do you dance, Latin or Ballroom or Both?

Ballroom and Latin for past two years; before that American Smooth and Rhythm

2. Do you compete? If yes, in what level and cathegory?

Have competed very infrequently. Hoping to compete next year - Bronze probably, possibly Silver by end of year if all goes well

This has varied over time (sometimes, within a day ;)). Right now I'd say Tango.

Same, although I do tend to rotate between Java and Cha Cha.

Definitely Rumba overall; Foxtrot for Ballroom.

Aida Karinas and Werner Kern.

For Latin, Beata, Yulia and Joanna. The Hiltons for Standard, although I'm becoming more of a fan of the WDSF style, which kind of surprises me.

International, just 2. American- 5 ish, but mostly social dancing.

Friends danced, and I wanted to be able to join in the fun.

10. What is your best asset when comes to dancing Latin/ballroom and what is your biggest problem that you are working with?

My best asset is that I can usually keep my footwork pretty crisp and clean (once I get the choreo down), I have my own balance, and I can move myself. The biggest problem I am working on is that my upper body is too stiff and unengaged -- this is true in both Latin and Ballroom, although in different ways of course. Also, I do not consistently use the floor well.