Ballroom Dance > Videos > 1st latin performance

Discussion in 'Videos' started by barrefly, Nov 3, 2008.

1. barrefly

barrefly New Member

This is a clip of my 14 yr. old's first latin perfromance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-K9D3j5hJ4
    ...one of 5 "brief" dances she perfromed.

For some reason, I thought she could do better and criticized her some. I have to learn to chill.

2. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

she's not bad. there is lots of potential in her. ;)

My suggestion - she need to make steps a little bit smaller, so that she can stretch her legs and feet more.

3. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Thanks malakawa,
    I agree with the "stretching legs and feet" but I was blaming it on improper hip action. (she has a lot of bad salsa habits to break). I also was not happy with her arms, upper body and overall sharpness. ...I've been in kind of in a bad mood from all the drama in her salsa world. I do hope she finds a b/l partner soon.

4. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

when she will be in better balance and in control over muscles that she need to use it will be better.

it is her first time. so don't be that hard.

and who is a teacher??

5. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Really not bad at all, especially for her first time. She has a lot of good qualities and will do well. She needs to think about her steps landing right underneath her, rather than being "forward" or "backward"; that will help her make smaller steps. My coach has told me to think of walking like a horse (leg straightens down and foot rolls down flat immediately), and that chacha is a dance of the legs -- the hips will happen. However, I don't know how much I would try to drum into your daughter right away as this kind of technique happens in layers. No one gets it right away.

6. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

My kids seldom appreciate my detailed comments on their technique. After five years, I am still trying to learn to "chill". Its hard.

7. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

She seems to be having a lot of fun, and has potential, for sure. Needs to get down into her heels, though - the dance was almost entirely on her toes (except for the rock-steps). Almost every step in cha-cha is toe-heel. Fixing that should help the hip action that was mentioned above, and also the balance.

8. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Everyone that has replied, thankyou so much.

Delamusica...I did not catch the toe/heel mistakes...that explains why Missy wanted me to stop the clip. (She probably realized it herself). I guess good habits are hard to make and bad habits, hard to break.

sambagirl, I can't understand why she can't get that "horse" leg right. It looks easy to me. I will show Missy your comment and see if that will help her. (Her instructor has such a beautiful hyperextended knee when she does it)

malakawa,
    her teacher is Violet Kurakina. Violet is really taking the slow and careful approach with Missy. I really want her to work on her muscle development/tech. outside of the studio...so I really try to pay attention. Missy knows when to tell me that I don't know what I am talking about, so I never force her into doing any of my corrections. Muscle control/development/memory takes time and I want her practicing as much as possible outside of the studio.

I have met 2 other parents of 10-12 yr. old champion kids, since I have been at the studio. Both know a great deal about b/l. (the dance and the dance world)
    I now, do not feel so bad about getting involved (to a point) with my daughter's dance.

star gazer,...I would bet your "kid" is a very good dancer.

9. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Dance parents?

10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

THAT right there is the problem. Everything in dancing is an illusion. The easiest looking things are the hardest. I'd suggest leaving the critique to the professionals, and limit yourself to being a dad. Unless of course you're actually a champion ballroom dancer and haven't mentioned that yet?

11. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Agreed, wooh. That horse leg, heel down thing is NOT easy. Took me years, years!

12. barrefly

barrefly New Member

wooh, I am not a dancer, but I do play one on T.V. ;>)
    ...you'd think I would have learned a thing or 2 from her ballet yrs. Proper technique does take years to perfect. You ballroom dancers just make it look so darn easy.
    Added: ...in her salsa, she picked it up so fast that I thought that was the way it would be with b/l. I now realize that salsa is not as technically challenging as b/l....generally speaking.

13. ashybang

ashybang New Member

I agree with all that delamusica says, in that she dances very much on her toes. Using the heels correctly will give a more grounded, latin appearance.
    The length of steps seem fine to me.
    I find her dancing pleasant to watch and feel sure this will improve immensely with good coaching and lots of practice.
    Potentially, your daughter`s dancing is very exciting.;)

14. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

The distance travelled by the body is matching the leader, which is fine. The size of the steps between footfalls does seem a little large to me; I think it's because she's not getting her weight fully over each step - related to not putting the heels down - so the steps are a bit beyond where her weight goes.

15. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Thanks Warren,
    I do not dance and the heel thing would be beyound my notice. I can only hope her instructor is aware. She is a high ranking latin dancer.
    (in Missy's defense....she was very nervous for some reason).

My daughter started jive training and I did notice something right away. I think that jive is her instuctor's weak area. (russian trained) I brought it up after class with an american trained ballroom dancer and he concurred with me. ...something like unhindging the lower leg and not muscleing it.
    She also started paso doble and I notice her arms were not right for one of the stances. I told her to arch her back and shoulders and bring her elbows up and forward (behind the back). ..same thing I was telling her when she studied flamenco at 9 yrs. old.
    Would she be better off with out dad?

16. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Well, yes, I would probably lay off the advice. She is no doubt getting plenty of information from her instructor and what you tell her may be counterproductive. As for Violeta Kurakina being a high level instructor -- I suppose you could say that, since she and her husband won the Blackpool Rising Star Latin championship this year!

17. barrefly

barrefly New Member

sambagirl,
    Missy is totally in love with Violeta. As for me, am I wrong regarding the jive?

18. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

In a word, yes.

If your forum posts are an indication of how you are towards your child then you're being a classical example of a "sidelines parent". We always feel sorry for the kids at comps who have those.

19. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

I can't tell you whether or not you're "right" about the jive. But I would be careful of what "other" instructors, "American trained" or not, think. People can speak from many different motives, not all of them helpful.

Honestly, I think it's laudable that you want to support and help your daughter. But I'd leave the coaching to the coaches. Being her dad is enough.

20. SisterShimmy

SisterShimmy New Member

Its great that you are involved and want her to be the best but nothing in life is worthwhile if all of the fun gets sucked out of it.