Salsa > 2005 Club Mayan Salsa Professional Competition

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by XtremeSalsa, Apr 24, 2005.

?

Who Will Win the $5K @ the Mayan?

1. Christian Olviedo

100.0%
  2. Liz Lira

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Alex DaSilva

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rony Medrano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Rico Bravo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Abel Pena

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

Hi Lucretia,

I had the judges also in mind when I said the "audience" - sorry, should have made that clearer.... I was just wondering out loud what ways there are to judge the real flavour of salsa...

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I think the two division names are ice dance vs. pairs skating.

3. SDsalsaguy

I agree 100%!!!

If the contest was for "best show done with salsa music in a supporting role" than the pros clearly had the best, but for "best salsa dancing" it had to go to the ams!

4. XtremeSalsa

XtremeSalsa New Member

I am glad to see the my post has created so much converstaion (unlike the other dance forums). Well, for those of you that are unclear as to how the judging works @ the Mayan... Qualifying is done by crowd. The Semis & Finals are supposedly judged by a panel. The panel is comprised or 3 instructors and 3 radomnly chosen people from the club. Couples are judged on Creativity, timing, crowd response, and some other categories. Each category is given a score of 1-5 (1 being the lowest; 5 the highest). U can see where the problem lies. How can those 3 chosen from the club know how to judge properly if they know nothing about the dance form? That is why, a lot of the couples will throw in Actobatics. To please the majority, whom do not know how to dance and are DRUNK NEway. I meet a lot of people who talk about competing at the Mayan, and I always ask them if they have at least 2 stunts. If their response is no, then I tell them the truth. They DON'T STAND a CHANCE! Even in the Amature category. A lot of the amatures that compete at the Mayan R in dance groups or cheating knat dance instructors that stop teaching just B4 the comeptition so they have a greater chance @ winning (like a certain couple that is competing this year). Becuase they come from dance team/groups they have been exposed to a lot of stuns and acrobatics. But those that are true amatures haven't had the opportunity to try those out, therefore they don't use them in their routines. This is XACTLY why the MAYAN needs to add a "Semi-Professional" Category, just like at the Granada. This way everyone would have a chance to win in their own rightly placed categories. That is why I passed on the Mayan this year. Although I can do a lot of the acrobatics that R being done, I haven't had a chance to practice them with my current partner. But, I am not, by NE means an AMATURE. I fall somewhere in between when it comes to competing. So, when I heard that the Granada was holding their competition and it included a "Semi-Pro" category, I was all for it. Not only that, the crowd at the Granada is about 90% Salsa Hard Core Dancers, unlike at the Mayan, where it may be about 25%. The crowd @ the Granada isn't really interested in how many times you can ALOMST KILL ur PARTNER without actually doing so. They're more interested in how well you dance and how well you execute your combos. Now don't get me wrong, next year for sure I am competing at the Mayan. I WILL B ready to hang with the BIG DAWGS! Oh, BTW, for those of you in the LA area, the Semi-Final round for the Granada is this Friday (4-29-05). Please come out, watch, enjoy, and CHEER for my partner and I (Woo-Hoo!!!). Look out for the couple wearing the Army Fatigues.

P.S. Please cast your vote for who U think will win this year. It would B interesting to C the results.

5. aragonh

aragonh New Member

I would like to cast my vote, but since I havent seen any, it wouldnt be fair :wink:

As soon as the videos are out, I'll vote!!

I would have gone out to support you, but I will be in vegas this weekend. But if you can, post a video up of it.

6. XtremeSalsa

XtremeSalsa New Member

I shall try to do that this weekend.

7. africana

africana New Member

yeah I thought the same thing :)
    I like watching the mayan videos because they inspired me to learn the "fancy stuff" and get better, so probably whether or not they perform acrobatics I will still enjoy watching them (esp. since a couple of my good friends are one of the well-known acrobats ;) ) Plus think of all those people who dare say salsa is not cool, just show em one of them videos :lol:
    But heaven help any guy who dares put a neck drop on me :twisted: I don't even tolerate dips :lol:

8. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I liked some of last year's videos. Especially the winners of the professional division. They were so clean.

Any news updates on how this year comp is going?

9. alemana

alemana New Member

it is spelled AMATEUR.

thank you.

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

fyi, for the west coast salsa congress coming up next month, albert (torres) is specifying a 'cabaret' competition division.

"(Any Move In Which Any Part Of Either Dancer Is Above The Shoulders Of Their Partner - Includes Lifts, Cartwheels Or Any Similar Lift Or Tricks)"

bravo!

11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

It pains me to see advanced dancers miss the point of salsa. I've said this before, but salsa in about the connection with your partner and having fun. I don't think I would have fun doing cartwheels instead of dancing. If I'm having fun doing acrobatics, I'd do gymnastics, not dancing.
    It would be interesting to create a dancing-acrobatics division, though. it could help seperate dancing from stunts.

Twilight Elena

12. XtremeSalsa

XtremeSalsa New Member

That's XACTLY Y Albert Torres has created a new division called Caberet Style Salsa. Wonder how many would actually enter that division or if they would simply stick to partner combos?

13. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

I'm not entirely clear on what SemiPro means, exactly. Then again, I know nothing about salsa, so I have a good excuse. What you're describing sounds like the Rising Star category in Ballroom--newly pro, basically. Or pro for a while, but not in the same category as the top people. In any case, I think a creation of an "inbetween" category like that would be good, both for the amateurs and for the pros.

I was also kinda shocked by the judging process at the Mayan competition. Why would you have someone random judge the pros?? Just how does that promote good dancing? I simply do not understand the reasoning behind the system, so if anyone cares to enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.

14. SDsalsaguy

It doesn't.

15. XtremeSalsa

XtremeSalsa New Member

Your guess is as good as mine. :roll:

16. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Humph.
    Has anyone tried approaching the comp organizers and asking them for the reasons for that particular judging format? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

17. Vin

Vin New Member

Actually I am going to take the other route. I don't think it is such a bad thing to have non-pro's as judges in dance contests. People who are involved in the dance look for certain things when judging. I imagine people who aren't professionals are more likely to be impressed by overall charisma of the competitors.
    Salsa is living, breathing, and most importantly growing. By having amateur judges I think it forces the competitors to play to the crowd more than if they were dancing for other pro's to judge them. What I'm trying to say is that having amateur judges it forces the competitors to up the "wow" factor in their routines.
    I agree that the detriment is that the most technically proficient dancers may not always win the competition. Since when is technical proficiency the most important thing? In the long run I think this format is good for salsa.

18. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Not to mention, I feel that most of these dancers are at the peak of their craft. Why not mix it up a bit? I know if I did the same old, same old all of the time...it wouldn't be challenging any more. I think part of the fun is dressing up routines to challenge and interest the participants. Most people KNOW that the participants KNOW what they are doing when it comes to all the "basics." It they can exhibit a bit of this knowledge, choreograph a routine that is interesting for them and the audience, and practice that routine until it is flawless....well then more power to them.

People ARE inspired to try dancing by watching interesting performances. I've watched pros compete in regular ballroom...does that inspire me to learn more. YES. Does it make me want to flip all over? Not necessarily. I'm just happy developing my technique and reaching that point where it is fun and people notice how much fun I have.

19. IsaacAltman

IsaacAltman Member

Salsa Event

Salsa at the Mayan contest has basically turned into a Showdance event. Themed choreography is basically that. They would probably be better off identifying it as the Mayan Salsa Showdance Championships. In as far as having the audience participate in judging, I just think you run into a slew of problems. Of course this contest is not really identified as a sporting competition so I guess audience participation can be utilized but again it can prejudice the outcome to some degree.

Salsa in the form you see it evolving at the Mayan, with much acrobatics, etc. is a direct result in trying to impress an audience. It is also a result of the dancers searching for something new (not necessarily better). Tricks as such are not Salsa dancing, they are tricks. Many if not most are borrowed from other dance styles which borrowed them from other dance styles. From there, they are modified to be able to create a uniqueness. Ballroom does it, Swing does it, Hustle does it, etc. If history teaches us anything about dance, it tells us that things will continue to evolve to some extremes until eventually it will go back to its roots. It is just a matter of time. The old saying of too many spices in the soup ruins the flavor of the soup. Too many acrobatics and tricks will eventually ruin Salsa. I guess you just need to let it play out, but I guarantee it will come back to its roots and the Salsa dancing will become the best we ever have seen it.

20. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

Re: Salsa Event

wow, well said IsaacAltman! :)