Salsa > 2005 Club Mayan Salsa Professional Competition

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by XtremeSalsa, Apr 24, 2005.

?

Who Will Win the $5K @ the Mayan?

1. Christian Olviedo

100.0%
  2. Liz Lira

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Alex DaSilva

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rony Medrano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Rico Bravo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Abel Pena

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. azzey

azzey Member

Of course you do. BTW, I was only answering your first question above.

As to whether competitions worldwide are all the same I would say that depends a lot on the local scene, style, who's judging and how (criteria) and the competitiveness of the dancers.

One thing about tricks is its often easier to learn and practice a few new tricks than it is to improve the whole level of your dancing.

Were you thinking of travelling to LA to enter the Mayan competition at some point? :wink:

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

No, not the Mayan... I am almost 29 years old... and not a gymnast!

But I was wondering... :)

3. alemana

alemana New Member

i didn't mean to compare pro vs amateur or nyc vs la. i just meant that my clubfolk have better connection, better body movement, better moves, etc. than what i saw on the videos.

4. aragonh

aragonh New Member

wHo?? I didnt see no1 dance on2.

As mentioned before, the Mayan competition is more about showing off than dancing. There are other LA contests that are more "dance-based". The one I,m thinking of is the Sportman's Lodge .

5. Big10

Big10 Member

Unless I skimmed too quickly, I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread yet that Alex Da Silva won't be in the 2005 finals because his partner suffered an injury during practice last weekend.

Anyway, I remember having a discussion on another board about ADS's timing "issues." My view is this -- if you watch his performances carefully, you will notice that he hits the major accents in the music VERY well. To do that so consistently requires a great sense of timing. So, I think ADS doesn't feel bound to the standard 8-count as a stylistic choice, not because he can't. Plus, in a contest situation, the judges watch everything just one time through (not viewing it over and over like we do on the Internet), so his tricks and hits on the accents are more likely to make a big impression than his tendency to be a half-beat off here and there.

6. azzey

azzey Member

That is a real shame, as in my view he would have most likely won the competition. Alex's performance in the finals is always more themed with even slicker dancing and new moves done to the music. I've seen him dance socially and he has a habit of playing with the timing to fit the music when dancing with well known partners. I agree with what you said as basically I said something similar earlier in the posts.

7. TICA

TICA New Member

The Sportsmans Lodge doesnt even exist anymore for Salsa. The competition organized by Albert Torres is held at The Granada in Alhambra.

People will always have a problem with competitions no matter which one it is. The Mayan gets criticized over and over and yet we're all there, either watching them live or seeing the clips online. What other venue provides clips online other than The Mayan? talk about exposure for dancers.

Albert gets praised for the attention to 'the beat' and yet that is not enough to make him escape from people's complaints. Recently he heard it from everybody for allowing the crowd to decide who won over the semi finals.

Alex da Silva has a miriad of critics, and yet the man is still going on. Now that he is out of the competition, I guess people won't be able to say that The Mayan is fixed. Too bad he is gone because he alone brings to the competition an excitement that will no longer be there. The man is good, y 'la critica lo mantiene'.

Anyhow, I dont remember what my original purpose was in posting this...now I'm all over the place.

Perhaps that I get annoyed to see people bagging on LA, The Mayan, the 'acrobatics' and so on. What is so wrong with taking things at face value, and appreciating them for what they are. The my-dancing-is-better-than-your-dancing attitude is unnecessary. "My buddies in my club dance so much better than all of them competitors" :roll: honestly!.

I wonder if people who criticize the tricks so much would still do so if they became GOOD at them themselves.

And before someone says that I must be one of those doing cartwheels, let me tell you, no... not any longer. Six or seven years ago, when LA really danced like the stereotype that people from outside of LA wrongly still have of our town, I did. And it was fun then. And now that it is over, it is still fun to see those who incorporate it into their routines.

8. hasfoo

hasfoo New Member

So who won??

Anybody know who won this?? Please post any commentary on it as well. thanks

9. Big10

Big10 Member

WOW! Apparently Alex's partner (Ruby) recovered quickly from her injuries, and they finished FIRST! Originally I thought Alex had the best chance to win based on his performance/competition experience -- but I was under the impression that his partner's injuries (from the week before) were too serious to compete. Liz Lira and her partner finished second, despite some dire personal issues she was dealing with, too.

Here is a link to some of the feedback from a Salsa board based in Los Angeles, including people who know the competitors and saw the finals:

http://www.salserosweb.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=13678&sid=c1ffc73b7c759dbba1792edf867c8d94

10. alemana

alemana New Member

i *did* take the comp at face value. i *did* appreciate it for what it was. and my response, knowing nothing about the competitive salsa world, about LA style, about the history of the Mayan or the names of any of the dancers in the pro division (trust me, this is all news to me) was: snore. it didn't engage me as a spectator, period.

i frequently see dance events where i don't know the style or don't particularly like it (country western comes to mind) but that doesn't mean i am not able to see and appreciate ability, talent, etc.

just because i didn't like it doesn't mean i didn't 'take it at face value.' quite the opposite. i took it exclusively at face value and found it lacking.

it's fine with me if hundreds of people go watch it, and fine with me if i'm a hater for not feeling it. it's all a matter of preference.

11. aragonh

aragonh New Member

I guess this was directed at me, and I feel obliged to respond.

No, Im not an Alex hater. I've taken some of his workshops and he has some cool moves for performance/exhibition. U have to give the guy props for being a performer.

However, I also give props to people who can dance and feel the music. So when I saw Alex (as well as Rico) step inconsistently w/ the music, i thought "what is this?? they are not dancing to the beat!!"

From the link that Big10 Provided (Thanx Big10 !!), it seems that Alex dealt directly with this issue and stayed with consistent timing. If he did his performance AND still stayed connected with the music, then that is awesome.

But If he cant stay with the music, then to me, he is just doing a performance with background salsa music.

12. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

They have started to publish the professional semifinal now. A few links does not work yet...

I am a bit surprised ....(and ashamed :oops: ) ...some of the professional succéd in combining both acrobatics and salsa dance. They keep staying on the beat although the swing the lady in the most spectacular ways. I think they have improved a lot since last year :shock: :D

/luc

13. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

I competed in the Amateur division at the Granada and read the rules: Semi-pro is if you have done any teaching, made any money dancing or have been on a dance team. It allows you to make money but it can’t be your primary income. If you’ve come in first place in any amateur contest, you are also considered semi-pro, even if you didn’t make money in that contest.

On the other hand, the amateur rules said the following: not a teacher, haven’t made ANY money from dancing, won any other amateur contest or been part of a dance team.

The semi-pro division makes it possible to make a little money dancing. This includes occasionally teaching or winning some money for second/third place in other competitions without automatically having to compete against people who dance and/or teach dance for a living.

I haven't seen the rules for the Mayan so I don't know how they break down amateur vs. pro. From what I can tell unless your primary income is from dancing, you are considered an amateur. Hopefully someone knows the exact rules for the Mayan breakdown.

14. leaf

leaf New Member

All these talks abt the competition and not able to watch it is driving me nuts! :lol: Thank goodness mayan has finally put up the semi-finals videos online... whooooooooooooa! I've enjoyed watching every single one of it.

Agree that there r too much acrobatic moves, but hey if that is the way to win a competition... I'll attempt to do it (as much as I hate it) too!

Personally, I like Abel & Sulmara's routine the most among all.

Will the Granada competition be viewable online as well?

15. TICA

TICA New Member

nope!

16. David

David New Member

Just been watching the video clips that have been posted so far... pro semi-finals and amateur finals.

Have to say that, in my book at least, the winning amateur couple's routine kicked the ... out of the suposed pro's routines. Very nice, and it could actually pass as dance rather than "sals-nastics".

17. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

this dancer does. these moves have no place in a pure social dance setting - the only purpose is to show off. i think a valid question to ask to evaluate these moves would be: would you still do these trick moves if no one was watching, and if so, why?

18. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Well, the finals are finally up for the Pros. I thoroughly enjoyed it all. :) Also, I've never seen Danny Bravo dance before...that was a treat. He's competing Internationals...the semis are up for those.

19. Paou

Paou New Member

Yes, that's true... but they do have a place in performance dance setting. And that's the point... that's what the mayan is all about. Performance Dance.

If anyone doesn't like that I would suggest they don't watch... it's just like anything else in this world... I'm not too keen on sushi, but instead of arguing how stupid sushi is, and trying to stop the world from eating it, I let people that want to enjoy it, enjoy it without having to suffer my oppinion. It's their choice!

Social dancing is one thing, performance dancing is another. Both have their place in this world.

Oh, and lastly, yes... I do moves like these when no one is watching... so I can practice for when someone IS.

20. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member