Event Announcements > 2007 Harvard Beginner's Competition

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by AKuczmarska, Sep 10, 2007.

1. AKuczmarska

AKuczmarska New Member

2007 Harvard Beginner's Competition
    Saturday, October 28, 2007
    Harvard Athletic Complex - Gordon Indoor Track and Tennis Center
    75 North Harvard Street, Boston, MA 02163
    (a short walk from the Harvard Square T stop)

The website will be undated with more information as the summer progresses.

Some responses to the concerns raised in the MIT thread:

"Harvard Beginner's Comp no longer serves its purpose because it is too stressful and no longer just for beginners."

The purpose of Beginner's comp is to provide an "easy" first competition for new dancers. I put "easy" in quotes because it has different meanings. Our (my) interpretation isn't that there should be weak competition, but that the "other stuff" surrounding the comp should be more laid back then regular competitions. Specifically:

A) Beginner's comp doors open at 10a.m., dancing starts at 11a.m. and ends at 7:30 pm. (which ideally should be earlier). For every other comp, beginner's will have to be there when doors open at 7:00 am, start dancing at 8:00 am, and not leave until 9:00 pm.
    For Beginner's Comp, local couples can get up at a reasonable hour, attend the comp, and still go out in the evening. Non-local couples can leave the morning of and be home before midnight. That is simply not true for full scale comps, even the smaller ones.

B) There are only a few levels offered. This means that beginner's spend more time dancing and less time waiting around. At any other comp, a newcomer couple eliminated in the first round will spend 12-14 hours at the venue to dance a total of 12 minutes on the floor.

C) Cuts are generous. Most comps cut couples by 50% from round to round. For Beginner's comp we try to call back 60-70%.

D) No costumes.

2. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

dancing at 7am is like a rite of passage

This seems like a cool comp though. I wish I had had the opportunity to do something like this when I was starting out.

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

According to the website, that only applies to Newcomers, and that is typical of every comp I have ever been to. So is this comp allowing costumes for dancers above Newcomer now?

This year the "first" NE comp will be UConn on October 13. Waiting for them to update their comp page with more info.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Haha--ain't it, though? :D

5. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Actually Cornell is even earlier than that... September 22. http://comp.cornelldancesport.org

6. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Sorry.... I always considered NE to be Mass/CT/RI/ME/VT, not NY.
    (by "NE" I meant New England, not Northeast)

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I read NE as "North East" too.

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

sorry.... I'm a New Englander. Honest mistake. Nevermind :cool:

9. I believe Harvard Beginner was/is no costumes for any level. I recall quite a few youths in latin pants having to change. But perhaps that was a different comp.

Not ust UConn, but Brown and most of the others as well. It seems that all the comps are rather behind this year. Makes me wonder...

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

HAHvahd website says that costumes are permitted at all levels except Newcomer. In past years NOBODY was allowed to wear a costume at this comp:confused:. Perhaps someone did a cut-and-paste on the website, but so far no one has confirmed Yes or No whether Bronze and Silver dancers may wear costumes this year.

11. AKuczmarska

AKuczmarska New Member

Sorry for the confusion. Only newcomers may not wear costumes. Bronze and silver may. I hope you can come!

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I hope to be there. Curious - why the change to costumes allowed now?

13. AKuczmarska

AKuczmarska New Member

We changed the policy this year because competitors in bronze and silver complained that it was more inconvenient to find non-costume outfits.

14. reb

reb Active Member

by the way . . .

Welcome to Dance Forums AK! We hope to see more of you.

Let us know how things progress.

15. BM

BM New Member

BU will be there, per usual. Looking forward to it!

16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Personally I'd rather see it remain as a costume-restricted comp. If newbies can find non-costume outfits, why can't Bronze and Silver dancers? Keeps it more low-key and less stressful, IMO, which I thought was the original purpose of this comp. Also I would think it might be easier for the non-professional judges to observe dancers without excessive floaty and shiny bits to distract them :cool:

17. BM

BM New Member

"Hmm, couple #144 has good technique but is off - OOOOH, SOMETHING SHINY!"

Doubt that such a thing might occur, but it's still entertaining to think about.

18. TRF

TRF New Member

The competition website is up for UConn's competition, please visit:

http://uconnballroom.com/comp/

There are tabs for schedule of events, rules, registration, showcase (Jonathan Wilkins and Katusha Demidova!) and directions. Regular registration is open until Oct. 8th, and late registration is open until Oct. 12.

Hope to see everyone there, and then again at Harvard! :)

19. mgshah

mgshah New Member

We considered that and had some really strong debate on what to do. We definitely want to keep beginners' comp relaxed and less stressful than other comps. Restricting costumes was one way of achieving that goal.

However, were getting complaints from bronze and silver leaders who had gone and bought latin pants and were *$&% that they had to go back to wearing slacks that didn't fit quite right.

We didn't give this particular argument much weight, but did consider the incongruity of requiring bronze and silver dancers who had worn costumes last semester to go back to no costumes, only to go back to wearing costumes a few weeks later. We went on the assumption that syllabus couples generally have a "competition outfit" that they just reuse. So, the argument was, it is less stressful to just wear what you'd been wearing the previous year than to find something else that looks nice and fits well, but is not a costume.

There was also an argument that having bronze and silver dancers in costumes might make them more "inspiring" for the newcomers.

In any event, the balance we struck was to let bronze and silver dancers do what they would at any other comp while keeping the newcomers "clean". :) We really hope it doesn't change the competition dynamics too much for the competitors.

20. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Easily handled by not defining basic undecorated dancewear as a costume...

Are practice skirts now costumes under your rules?