Event Announcements > 2007 Princeton/UPenn Clover Star Classic

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Anna, Dec 15, 2006.

1. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

It certainly is. I had to scratch an event at MIT a few years back for this same reason. We didn't even have time to grab a sip of water between interleaved rounds, so we scratched VW after making a cut just to have a chance to drink some water, and to give me a chance to tape up a really bad cut on my foot.

Hopefully the organizers can be creative and solve the problem, while inconveniencing as few people as possible. It certainly does get tricky though when people are dancing multiple levels and multiple styles.

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

interleaving rhythm and standard.... rhythm wouldnt' fill all the time cause there are a lot less people dancing it.

lets see

suppose one round is about 8 minutes with all the breaks between songs 10, we have 5 rounds of standard

we have 9pm-12pm - 3 hours

and we want to cut it into two sessions
    we have 90 minutes

that means average breaks 10 minutes between rounds of standard.

does anyone remember the minimum by USABDA or NDCA rules?

Anna, can you start the open session earlier?

3. Anna

Anna New Member

yeah, we realize the problem with pre-champ and champ standard interleaved...it actually is a bit of a nightmare because of all the cross registration (one couple is doing all 19 dances in champ, for example). The tentative schedule I have now has all standard and smooth interleaved, a costume change, and all latin and rhythm interleaved. There are some short breaks for general dances, but even with breaks it's a lot of dancing all at once...

4. Anna

Anna New Member

just a minute, and I'll post the preliminary schedule and answer all the other questions too

5. Anna

Anna New Member

(very) preliminary schedule:

Standard pre-champ 1/4
    Standard champ 1/2
    a couple general dances
    Standard pre-champ 1/2
    Smooth pre-champ final
    Standard pre-champ final
    a couple general dances
    Smooth champ final
    Standard champ final
    Costume change, general dancing (longer break)
    Latin pre-champ 1/4
    Rhythm pre-champ final
    Latin pre-champ 1/2
    a couple general dances
    Latin pre-champ final
    Rhythm champ final
    Latin champ final

6. Anna

Anna New Member

Those are both great suggestions, but the first is indeed impossible because of costume changes (there are Dru and Alicia, and then another couple who are doing all 19 in champ plus pre-champ standard). We don't have time to put gold in the evening session, but we're considering running syllabus rhythm finals in the evening to allow for more breaks.

7. Anna

Anna New Member

We can't start earlier because of time constraints with the gym (in fact they didn't want to let us use the gym for a comp at all this semester).

8. Anna

Anna New Member

I could also move champ rhythm to the where pre-champ rhythm is now, and then pre-champ rhythm to the smooth/standard half as an extra break. But that's the only interleaving between latin/rhythm and standard/smooth that the cross-registration will allow. The smooth events will also give almost everyone a break.

Anyways, let me know if that will still be terrible. Also would you rather have fewer, longer breaks or more, shorter breaks?

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

death by standard dancing

10. Kitty

Kitty New Member

that might be a registration mistake about the 19 dances cause this couple is not known to do any other styles besides standard...

11. Anna

Anna New Member

That would definitely make things easier!

12. Kitty

Kitty New Member

more shorter breaks is better

13. Anna

Anna New Member

Ok, I'll try to come up with a way not to kill you then :)

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

ok, you can try...
    I dont' think there is a feasible way to do it though:)

on the positive side though, after I die you could try on my dress, see if it fits you...
    ya know, like a trophy

15. Anna

Anna New Member

now there's an idea!

16. skwiggy

Kitty, please clean out your PMs. I just tried to send you one and it say you have exceeded your stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until you clear some space.

17. skwiggy

Maybe she should try it on first, before you get it all sweaty. ;)

18. Kitty

Kitty New Member

or she could try on my other dress...
    I have 2:)
    actually have more than 2 but only 2 that fit me...

but yeah, definitely before it is all sweaty is a good idea:)

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You can't plan a schedule around people who choose to dance every freakin' thing. If someone is signed up for everything, they've already basically accepted the fact that they're gonna be dancing their events back to back to back.

20. skwiggy

They shouldn't have to accomodate rest for people dancing multiple styles, but they do need to accomodate costume changes.