Event Announcements > 2007 Triangle Open - Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by ACtenDance, Oct 24, 2006.

1. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

2007 Triangle Open USA DanceSport Championships
    February 2-3, 2007

The 9th annual Triangle Open is coming back home to Raleigh, NC from its temporary home at the Durham Armory to the Talley Student Center Grand Ballroom at North Carolina State University. This competition is open to both adult competitors and collegiate competitors. USA Dance membership is required since the competition will again be sanctioned by USA Dance.

http://dancingwithwolves.org/triangle/

updates to come...

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

"it is temporary home?" ;)

3. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Copy and paste fails me again! edited :)

4. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

From the organizer. It'll be interesting to see how these mixed proficiency events pan out with the college crowd that we usually get at the Triangle Open.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hmph. WTF is the point of that?

6. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

I agree - why should college dancers care?

7. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Well, I assume that this would give a LOT of lower-level girls who are partnerless a chance to compete at their level with a partner who is at a level above their's and wouldn't otherwise be able to dance with them at their level. Maybe it's a way to ameliorate the effects of that idiotic ruling that disallowed same sex competition under the USA Dance auspices...

I do find it odd in another way: what would be the draw of such competition for the higher level partner who already has a regular partner they compete with at the higher level? They are not getting paid for it, as a pro in pro/am is, so why would they do it? They must have some incentive (short of a higher level boyfriend competing with a lower level girlfriend of his or something similar) and if it's not financial, what could it be?

8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Believe it or not, some people enjoy dancing.

And there are a lot of cross-level friendships/mentorships out there, especially but not exclusively within the college teams. Now that they have a place, we'll see if any come out of the woodwork.

The big thing about dropping the pre-champ requirement is that those experienced dancers who haven't placed out of syllabus are more likely to have the kind of time for this than the realative few, and generally quite busy competitors who have. Before the change, it would have been largely limited to those who placed out a number of years ago and are not currently competing in the top ranks.

9. Anna

Anna New Member

I'd guess the main draw would be otherwise partner-less people dancing with a less experienced partner at the lower level. Maybe they'd be working with their lower-level partner in hopes of quickly moving up or just dancing with them because they want to dance and don't have a partner at their own level.

10. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I'm guessing that its an attempt to make mixed proficiency events more popular. I'd think that in the college community in particular, these kind of events could be a very good thing. There are lots of beginner girls out there that don't have anyone to dance with. In particular, it's nice that the Triangle will be holding these events on a seperate night which will allow me to dance with several of our newer girls that don't have partners or with friends of mine that dance at a lower level... all without having to worry about getting tired for my event which will be the next day.

One thing I find odd is that regulated athletes (essentially pros) aren't able to participate in these events. I'm sure it's some kind of political mumbo jumbo about USA Dance not offering Pro/Am events... but wasn't creating that alternative for Pro/Ams the reason for creating the mixed proficiency category in the first place?

I'm happy that I'll get to dance in this kind of event with some of my teammates, but overall, I think the whole mixed proficiency thing is very strange. Whatever, I'll take advantage of it while it is still offered... I have a feeling it will disappear in the near future.

11. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Heck, I'd love a chance to compete with some of the rookies I help. Though all of them tend to have partners so its not like they need a mixed-prof partner to dance in the first place.

12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Given that their one legal event (World Class) is gone, I would tend to assume the regulated competitor category essentially is as well. So the rule effectively becomes no professional partners, rather than no regulated athlete partners.

On another aspect of the topic, I thought the NJDSC registration form was quite classy too - their approach was to charge only the judged partner a registration fee, and the unjudged one only needed a spectator ticket if they were not also entered in their own events. With the rule change, these might well get some entries at the next competition in this series.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I guess the issue is now getting the critical mass of competitors in this mixed-prof category. No one's gonna want to be the only person on the floor doing this, since they won't be contested against the regular am-am events.

14. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

FYI, Judges:

David Don
    Esther Don
    Wendi Davis
    Stanley McCalla
    Jennifer McCalla
    Carol Post
    Steve Hadley
    Kim Smith

"All of these judges are listed with USA Dance and can be used for Sanctioned comps. This provides us with a good mix; four from the north and four from the south."

http://dancingwithwolves.org/triangle

15. Musique

Musique New Member

Is the following situation allowed?
    Say a couple registered for amateur bronze, then mixed gents bronze and mixed ladies bronze. If the judeges are really judging the gent and the lady alone in those events, they can just use this system to get individual evaluation.

16. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Yup, no problem with that.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I thought the point of this was to allow peeps without partners to get to dance...

18. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

It is.... I really hope people don't allow it to devolve into a way to just dance their same events 3 times with their same partners. If we notice that happening in the registration, we'll do something about it, but for now, there aren't any rules on the books preventing it.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, that problem had been solved by having the "pro" part only available to Prechamp & Champ dancers (since only the levels below Prechamp were available for Mixed Prof). But since they've removed that distinction, it could lead to that problem.

20. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

From the organizer: