Event Announcements > 2008 MIT Open

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by tunape, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thank you! just wondering...

2. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

My current guess, syllabus levels will be smaller than last year by about 25% (taking out double registration) but attendance will be higher.

Open levels.... I've quit trying to predict. I wonder... maybe I should try predicting open level attendance based on the number of bottles of Mt Dew I drank in the previous week.... probably as accurate as anything else....

3. Katarzyna

woudl be nice to have at least full quarter... in open... hopefully

4. tunape

tunape New Member

In case anyone is interestered, I ran a simple statistical model to predict MIT's numbers this year based on registration numbers of other comps in the same year... we're expecting a small increase in syllabus. But as others have suggested, Open is particularly hard to predict.

The model ran something like this:
    MIT event X(level + style) reg number = A*(Harvard Beg. reg of equivalent event X) + B*(Brown's reg of event X) + C*(Tuft's reg of event X) + D*(BU's reg of event X) + ... (for all comps on BRR)

Basically all the data that's on BRR - about 4 years's worth. I played around with 4 similar simple models which don't take into account timing, registration rules(eg. double registration), cross-level registration(eg. couples placing out), nor other "worldly" factors like DWTS, nor show couples which theoretically drive registration numbers up.

The results consistantly showed slight increases for MIT's numbers this year for syllabus. Also, the models seem to suggest that show couples don't drive up reg #'s because of how well the data fits based on previous comp's reg. That is, if we expect the show to have a large impact, then we'd see a higher variance of a comp's reg # based on good/bad show.

I can post the details if people are interested. I have the data in STATA in case people want to take a look. I'd be interested in building better forecast models for any comps.

5. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I know it's a bit late but I've been thinking that I really want to dance at the MIT comp this year.

I am looking for a leader for Adv Standard or Adv Smooth. I live in Boston. I am 5'4" and have been dancing for quite a while, the last 3 years with Peter Walker of Supershag.

I'd love to be your TBA lady if you're looking for a follower. :D Please PM me if you are interested.

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

My guess most open couples want to get some rest after dancing at USA Dance Nationals.. and not drive somewhere far to compete in another comp.

last years standard registration numbers were an abnormality due to the choice of the show couple.. I don't think it is quite possible to duplicate those numbers this year..

7. tunape

tunape New Member

Don't think this is true since it's a good 2 weeks after Nationals. If they are serious, they would want to continue the momentum to train for Blackpool.

8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Most open couples are not going to Blackpool. It's not exactly a comp everyone goes to, espcially given the current exchange rates...

And yes: last year's standard numbers were, I agree, VERY influenced by the show couple...

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

we are as serious as it gets... and my partner already requested few days after nationals off practice to get some rest. If it was up to him, we probably wouldn't even go to MIT, but I just want to wear my new dress... so we will probably come anyway:)

also,
    1) blackpool is looong time away after nationals so there is plenty of time to take a break,
    2) preparing for Blackpool does not mean doing a competition in Boston,
    3) as IThink mentioned, not everyone is going to Blackpool even if they are "serious." Furthermore, if by "serious" you are implying couples going to Blackpool, then I have to disappoint you, but very few of those ever show up at MIT anyway.

10. Katarzyna

tunape are you going to blackpool this year?

11. tunape

tunape New Member

Only a few hours left to register for 2008 MIT Open Ballroom Competition by the regular deadline at 11:59pm on Sunday, March 30! With already 500 couples registered and growing, this is the competition not to miss!

http://ballroom.mit.edu/comp/registration.php

Check out the list of adjudicators: http://ballroom.mit.edu/comp/judges.php

There will also be cash prizes for Championship and Open level events!

Register now! http://ballroom.mit.edu/comp/registration.php

On behalf of the 2008 MIT Open Ballroom Dance Competition Committee

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Getting close to the Registration Deadline... Any procrastinators out there might want to hurry up!

13. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Looks like MIT just broke 1000 competitors.... (1027 as of 9:30 PM... not counting any of the place holder TBAs ,etc). This is a first for any of the collegiate competitions that I'm aware of. (Harvard was 700ish, Brown was 600ish... MIT was 950ish last year. I beleive DCDI was 800ish)

14. BM

BM New Member

Gonna be a looooong weekend. 8)

15. reb

reb Active Member

Congratulations!

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

How exciting!!!

17. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Tickets to see Riccardo and Yulia at the 2008 MIT Open

We now have ticket sales set up for the Riccardo and Yulia show at the 2008 MIT Open.

Visit http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/32292 . There's a substantial discount if you purchase in advance online over the prices at the door.

Info on the show (which will soon be augmented with ticket info) is at:
    http://ballroom.mit.edu/comp/show.php .

As we indicated on our website, the show is free to all registered competitors!

Come, it'll be awesome!

18. tunape

tunape New Member

shucks, you beat me to it! pages updated.

19. BM

BM New Member

Is the detailed schedule on the way, or will that wait until after the late registration deadline?

20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

whatsamatta, you want to know how late you can sleep in on Sunday? :p