Event Announcements > 2008 MIT Open

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by tunape, Mar 13, 2008.

1. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Yes, two floors for early rounds. Don't recall which round we switch to single floor.

2. BM

BM New Member

I think it was semis . . . ? Don't quote me on that.

3. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "split floor"? Does it apply to Standard?

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

If you're dancing pre-champ/champ, don't worry about it. They split the floor and herd groups from the 100+ couples in syllabus events on to each side to assist in getting through the initial cuts more quickly by recalling couples from two floors instead of one. Not fun, but better than the preliminary "qualifying" round they tried years ago. In that case, if you didn't make the cut in a particular qualifying dance, you were done. You didn't get to do the other dances in that event.

5. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Thanks! I've never heard of a split floor before, and started having visions of having to dance on a 40 by 40 floor :eek:

Yes, first prechamp comp with new partner...

6. I have seen both pro-am and collegiate comps split the floor on more than one occasion.

In Pro-Am its usually done because only a few couples have registered for an event. However, at some competitions, I have have had to dance against 10 other couples on a THIRD of a floor (VEGAS).

At many of the collegiate competitions, where the Gym may have enough space for two floors, two floors may be set up so more than one heat can be run at the same time. (Or 4 heats if they decide to split up these floors as well).

7. yanka

yanka New Member

Just a reminder that each of the split floors is regulation size (or just over that), and the non-split floor is slightly greater than the sum of the two, so if you've never been before, be prepared for a very large floor.

Anyway, we have the layout up on the website if anyone's interested. We made a few changes from last year to make sure the warm-up area would be more useful...

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

One projector screen for callbacks? Is it situated such that people don't STAND in front of it and BLOCK it? :rolleyes:

9. tunape

tunape New Member

Last year Mirko commented that the large floor size was good practice for Blackpool, possibly bigger?

10. White Chacha

We'll do our best. Perhaps I'll come by periodically and do my best New Yorker. This involves yelling "Down in front!" from time to time...

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The Blackpool floor is somewhat larger, methinks.

12. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

somewhat, although its not as big as you expect when you are really worried about its size...

13. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

That's madness...

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yeah, it was quite interesting....
    CSFL, you around this weekend?

15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

This calls for an engineering solution, such as a localized inhospitable thermal environment.

16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

.... or a well-aimed slingshot.

17. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Any chance for a DF meet up this weekend? Either Friday or Saturday night or maybe Dim Sum/brunch on Sunday or some such eating event?

18. yanka

yanka New Member

I'll be at the comp almost 100% of the time. Look for me in the hot pink pants (since so many of you claimed you had no idea who I was last year...).

regarding the projector issue, we will still have the projector facing the on deck area with the next event's callback. in the same place as last year, we'll have the rolling callbacks of all scrut'd events. We've tried to modify the layout such that there's no way one could veg out in front of the screen since there's no room to do so. The only place ppl can hang out and watch the screen is if they sit (or stand around) the team tables, in which case, they're far enough away that they're not blocking the screen. We'll see how well it works *fingers crossed*

PS. I'm not guaranteeing the pink pants again on sunday, but I'll likely be wearing my grumpy (=the dwarf) hat.

19. White Chacha

Just under 24 hours to the start!

20. BM

BM New Member

Is there any possibility of having floor space at the venue tonight?