Event Announcements > 2008 Yale Ballroom Competition

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by jumpingbeens, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jumpingbeens

jumpingbeens New Member

2008 Yale Ballroom Dance Competition

Dear Dancers,

The Yale Ballroom Dance Team cordially invites you and your team to this year's Yale Ballroom Dance Competition on February 2, 2008. This one-day competition will be held at Wilbur Cross High School, located at 181 Mitchell Dr., New Haven, CT 06511. The location features a new gymnasium, bleacher seating, an additional basketball court as warm-up space, locker rooms, and ample parking. The venue is about two miles from the main Yale University campus.

For all information, please visit the competition website:
    http://yaleballroom.org/comp/

Online registration is open --- early deadline January 12, regular deadline January 26:
    http://www.ballroomregistrar.com/register/Yale08/

The schedule is as follows:
    6:00am Doors Open
    7:00am Smooth
    10:30am Standard
    2:00pm Rhythm
    5:30pm Latin
    9:00pm Fin

Overnight housing on the Yale campus will be available upon request for the night before the competition.

Please feel free to reply with any questions. Happy new year, and we look forward to having you!

With warm wishes,
    The Yale Ballroom Dance Team

2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

*grunt* Smooth at 7 am :shock:. How painful.
    Yeah, I know, SOMEBODY has to draw the short straw.

3. rexbestiarum

rexbestiarum New Member

Emails and inquiries about the competition can go to jong@yaleballroom.org. Thanks.

Sorry about the 7am start time. We anticipate that this way we can avoid delays while remaining within a one-day comp, considering the popularity of Yale Comp in the past.

4. jumpingbeens

jumpingbeens New Member

Just a reminder to register by the early deadline of January 12 (this coming Saturday) to save $5 off the regular registration price!

5. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

wow.. that is almost sadistic :)

6. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

no just wait, some comp is going to decide to put smooth at 4:30 am.... grumble grumble

7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

hard choice between this and Maryland comp.. Standard is way too early for me though.. grr. open finals were last

8. jumpingbeens

jumpingbeens New Member

Please come! Open standard won't be too early...and you'll get a 45-second solo dance!

9. Katarzyna

If it was after ... 6 :) definitely.. if before.. well we will have to see.

10. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

:shock: Don't even think it! That's just plain cruel!

..... now if some competition ever does get that idea.... I'm blaming you! lol :tongue:

11. Katarzyna

Looking at the post above mine.. I realize I didnt make this one clear.. I mean 6pm not am :)

12. jumpingbeens

jumpingbeens New Member

Please note that our schedule has changed. We are now opening the doors at 9 am and starting at 10 am. Hopefully this will make the competition a more pleasant experience for all!

Saturday, February 2

9:00 am Doors Open
    10:00 am Smooth
    12:30 pm Standard
    3:00 pm Rhythm
    5:30 pm Latin
    8:00 pm Fin

13. Katarzyna

See everyone this Saturday!

14. Katarzyna

BTW, is an assumption that open standard will start afte 2 a safe one from the scheule

15. lupeok

lupeok New Member

I'm not a comp organizer, but judging from the more exact schedule on the web site, the first round of open standard is right around 2. (http: //yaleballroom.org/comp/)

16. Katarzyna

Yes thats what I am seeing on the schedule. Just hope this will be correct as want to get up as late as possible.. will probably get there on a train that arrives around noon and dont want to have to run in and dance

17. Katarzyna

Have to comment that marks are up with lightening speed since ACNielsen was the scrutineer at the comp. wow

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Wow! Not only do they do TV ratings but ballroom scrutineering too! ;)

19. Katarzyna

NIelsenE I mean.. (can you tell I work for TV)