2010 Winter Olymipcs Figure Skating... Ice Dancing, Pairs... etc...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I just saw a funny thing on Facebook. One of my students and DFer posted on his status that
    So I turned it on to watch and thought it might be a fun thread to have here.

I just saw a couple, didn't catch their names, dancing to a waltz that I hear and teach to everyday.. I was kinda confused by the choreography which was very fast and never seemed to match the beats nor the melody.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone else watching the long program tonight?

2. Larinda McRaven

Muhkortova and Trankov:
    nice

Tatiana Volosozhar with Stanislav Morozov
    He looks strong but blocky and a little lackluster.

Kavaaguti and Smirnoff:
    dancing to the waltz Le Cygne

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I haven't seen any of the routines yet.

I do remember last fall though seeing that at least one of the US couples (I'm not sure if they're competing this year) did coaching with Eric and Georgia. Or vice versa. :) But definite acknowledgement of the cross between the two types of dancing. I didn't catch who it was though

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

This reminds me, Larinda, aren't they trying to make ballroom dancing (itself) an Olympic event?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

5. Larinda McRaven

Canadians; Jessica Dube and Bryce Davison:
    Wow, his placements of her on the ice after a lift are SO gentle and precise. But he is a little messy with his feet.

6. Larinda McRaven

I wonder why the couples are not trained to be more gracious at the end of a routine? I would never end a dance.... and then the very next second drop my posture and composure... huff and puff for oxygen, make a face and slump off.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dunno the names...but loved the woman in the blue body suit...think she needs to kick her dude to the curb tho'

8. fascination

totally agree....stink it up for a few more mins...one thing to show some sadness on your face...though I don't encourage it...quite another to stand there like you have already given up....:nope:

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I think I did that after a heat. exactly ONCE> Pros never let me get away with that again. :)

10. fascination

I used to really struggle with it...now I just stink it up til I go back to my room

11. Larinda McRaven

Chinese; Pang and Tong:
    very nice. no flaws!

Chinese; Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang:
    nice! although he started to look a little slow and heavy at the end and his shoulders were riding up.

Never seen such HUGE chinese men!!!????

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, heart be still!!! This is one of my favorite parts of the Winter Olympics...

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

13. Larinda McRaven

Germany; Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy:
    Send in the Clowns I thought the most beautiful one I got to see tonight. But they were criticized for having slow footwork, and I think that is what I liked... the music was not fast and the feet matched that.

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Thanks for the great color commentary... I would not have noticed that...

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just saw that. LOVED it. Their choreography actually picked up some nice nuances in the music, and that seems so rare in skating.

16. Larinda McRaven

17. Larinda McRaven

I "think" you are talking about this couple. He seemed far far behind in the qualities of ease and effortlessness...Tatiana Volosozhar with Stanislav Morozov

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I thought that Jian Tong and Qing Pang would place higher. They looked so good. Sigh...

19. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I think Pairs usually emphasize on lift, Jumps, and tricks than Ice Dancing does. That's probably the reason that dancing part is not as fluid as Ice Dancing.

Personally cannot wait until Female figure skating competition. :p

20. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Personally, cannot wait to see the ice dancing! :) We've got three very strong couples this time 'round. Should be exciting!