General Dance Discussion > 2010 Winter Olymipcs Figure Skating... Ice Dancing, Pairs... etc...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Feb 14, 2010.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Love what the Italian woman is wearing. The Russian couple that did Firebird, all I could think about when watching was how much I hate hate hate nude bodysuits with stuff attached. I know a woman that does rhythm comps and always has these atrocious nude bodysuits with stuff here and there. Ick.
    The Italian couple were beautiful to watch. But I'm tired of those required twizzles(?) because they never seem to fit. It's like, "Ok, we have to do them, so just interrupt the pretty beautiful choreo to do them here."

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Ok, I spoke too soon. Canada should get the gold simply because they made the twizzles actually fit into the choreography. And no weird transitions from them either.

Yay them!

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

So after Canada, everybody else looks sloppy in their transitions. Like once you see it doesn't have to be sloppy, there's no excuse. And watching the Russians, all I could think about were the gait belts you use to transfer people from wheelchair to bed or the reverse. It's like, "Hey, I've done that!" Of course it was me with an old lady that was falling to the floor. But hey, whatever!

Oh, and YAY CANADA!!

And Tanith and Ben, smiling for their colleagues, that is being a good sport. They should give lessons. You can go back to your hotel room and cuss and scream, but I like that their keeping a game face on. Unlike some people that whine to the press....

4. RickRS

RickRS Member

Beautiful night of skating.

Among the warm-up acts, Wooh and I both seem taken with the brother/sister Kerrs of Great Britain. I like the choices they made; it wasn't rock and roll, but using Linkin Park (Crawling?)was something different, and, it worked.

Really, really, loved the Canadian Gold and the USA Silver performances. They were wonderful to watch.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I love the Kerrs, I just wish they had the technical difficulty to really have competed with the top teams.

After their free skates, D/W or V/M, I'd have been happy. B/A should have beaten D/S (though Domnina's pouting on the podium was a small consolation prize, that and the fact that now it's certain Russia is going home with no golds this time.) Just watch--next year, ISU will ban using ropes as lift-assists in costumes!

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ladies night! :D

7. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Yay!!!!:rocker::cheers::applause:

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And the feeling's right...

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

10. danceronice

Ladiezzzz is generally pretty boring (one girl with a triple A, no quads, nothing but bendy layback spins and same spiral positions OVER AND OVER) but at least there's a showdown! Though unless Yu-Na totally falls apart tomorrow I think it's a done deal after that SP score. Such a total-package routine, more like an LP than an SP.

And I feel sorry for Joannie, of course, but I'm kind of hoping Miki sneaks in and nabs the bronze. I LOVE her LP this season.

Love Mirai, still bored with Rachel. If she sticks with Frank and Lori, though, Mirai could be their next Michelle.

11. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

I was a competitive figure skater & synchronized skater for seven years so skating & ice dancing are always my favorite to watch! I watched the short program last night and loved most routines. I enjoyed marai nagasu & I've been rooting for Joannie from the beginning & she skated beautifully though the end was hard to watch when she broke down..she's such an inspiration to keep going!

12. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

anyone else watching tonight?!?

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i will be, while i work. :D

14. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I am watching it right now. :D

15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

16. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

my favorite, joannie got third! I'm so happy but i would be lying if i said i didn't cry...I was crying ridiculously when they showed her getting her medal..ahhh I'm so happy for her...she is my new inspiration

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow. amazing. blown away.

18. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I cried..... what a night!

19. danceronice

Yu-Na was lovely, if a bit uninspiring, I thought, but considering the stress she was under I can't blame her. And poor Mao, a few years ago her jump content would have won MEN'S, never mind ladies'. She just had to do it in the year Yu-Na was the best of her life.

Unpopular opinion but also not the only one with it--Joanie was overmarked. At the very least, it should have been closer for bronze between her and Mirai, and a much, MUCH bigger gap between her and Mao. There were URs, trips, and poor footwork that should have been given deductions or downgrades that weren't taken. But then she had both the pity vote AND the homecrowd advantage. And she's more than likely done, while Mirai is now very nicely set up for Sochi, especially if Yu-Na (highly likely) and Mao (?) retire as well.

Rachel--yeah, Sochi is not gonna happen. Unless maybe she puts off the college thing and switches to Frank (who deserves the Coach of the Year award for, between Nationals and now, somehow not only fixing Evan's notoriously wonky 3a entry but Mirai's URs as well.) She was her usual kind of "meh" skater and ended up about where she belonged (although thank you so much for chacking Lepisto, NBC, so we couldn't see the skate that beat hers.)

20. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Strongly disagree with this. She was very inspiring last night. I thought I was watching a poet on the ice. She made everything look so easy on the ice. The same rule applies to dancing I think even if you do the most difficult step while you are dancing.

I think Mao's jumps are not as good as you think in my opinion. Her using of edge are most of time incorrect and her rotations are short. But, still she is a great skater.

Agree, but Mirai's short score was not enough to get her bronze either. She skated very well indeed. She needed more than 137, but her performance was not close to that score.