General Dance Discussion > 2010 Winter Olymipcs Figure Skating... Ice Dancing, Pairs... etc...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Feb 14, 2010.

1. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

As a fan of Joannie's I may be biased but she skated flawlessy and beautifully on Tuesday & a lot better than Mirai. She had another beautiful skate last night, even with the stepouts( i think only twice?) & mirai couldn't top her score. I believe that even if she was overscored it wasn't like she fell on every combo. In my opnion, Yu-Na was most definetly overscored & a bit overrated.

2. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Most of competitors' score were over-scored last night. It was not just Yuna's. I did not think Mao and Joannie's scores were over 130 either. They just are generous for competitors during the Olympics. Look at the men's scores. Those scores were ridiculously high.

3. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

right on dlgodud! That was the point i was trying to get at hahha but ughh I'm still so amazed i could cry all over again. I really, really regret quitting skating everytime the winter olympics roll around :(

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Evan deserved it, Daisuke deserved it. (Even with the splat.) Plushenko has always been overscored, so that's nothing new.

Yu-Na....it was pretty. The short was FUN, and I preferred it by a lot to her long. But it was just a pretty ladies' program for the LP. Look pretty, look pretty, jump, do a layback (yawn, but that's the rules' fault, not hers.) It was clean, it should have won, but it was just kind of pretty. I don't really buy pretty (hence ladies being something of a snoozefest, especially when most of them are teens.) Mao--show me another woman who can do a CLEAN triple axel. Hers is better than Lysacek's was before he fixed his bizarre entry. No one but Ito and Harding (Meisner should NOT have gotten credit for hers and wouldn't have under the new system--it was so badly underrotated on landing it was a joke.) Mao's OTHER jumps are an issue, but overall her jump content is much, much better jump-wise than any of the ladies (one can hardly hold lack of an easier jump against her until they start dinging Lambiel for not being able to do a 3a at all when that's been a no-brainer in senior mens' for twenty years now.) Where Mao suffers is her footwork isn't up to Yu-Na's by a long shot and then for some bizarre reason she did "Bells of Moscow", which is SO HEAVY it makes the entire program seem too weighty.

Joanie looked slow in the long. She had bobbles, stepouts, and wasn't especially on. She still should have beaten Mirai--but her score should have been much closer to Mirai's in the long than it was to Mao's. Her jumps are not as good as Mao's, her footwork and spins just aren't remotely close to Yu-Na's quality-there just is a much, much bigger gap between second and third than the score indicated. Not that it matters, again, Rochette's almost certainly done while Mao at least isn't, probably even if she wanted to be. And hey, she held it together much better than Bobek did in '97 when Carlo Fassi died the day of qualifying at Worlds.

It'll be very interesting to see who actually shows up at Worlds. Belbin/Agosto are most likely done, Shabalin's knees mean they're finished and have said they're out, Shen/Zhao....? Plushenko says he's going, we'll see. Lysacek, probably yes, Weir...? Yu-Na....ooh. Mao, yes, Mirai and Rachel yes....Davis/White vs Virtue/Moir rematch? Pang/Tong? One hopes.

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Good Luck to the US hockey team Sunday!!! :cool:

6. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I am sorry, but Evan does not deserve that high score. Nope! Yes, he is a great skater, but his movements are always awkward for me, and very unnatural.
    I don't think Plushenko has been always overscored. Maybe this time he looked, but he was great before his retirement.

Mao's 3a? That wasn't that clean 3a. If you ask me about a female who can do better 3a than Mao does, it will be Ito Midori. Well, she retired anyway. I don't believe Mao's Jump content is better than any other ladies. The only jump she has a merit against other ladies is 3a, and that's why Mao is overrated always. But, her 3a is not as clean as Ito's. And also her use of edge is incorrect most of time. That's one of reason she gets deductions for her jumps. I prefer Miki or Yuna's jumps than Mao's.

The reasons Yuna's jumps are better than Mao's are firstly, she uses edge of skate correctly. Secondly, she's hardly under-rotates her jumps like Mao does. And also, her jumps are much higher than other ladies. And, sometimes her jumps are compared to Men's. In addition, her jumps are delayed.

About performance wise, maybe you call Yuna's boring, but for me it was totally different and gave me a chill.