Event Announcements > 2014 MIT Open - April 26-27 2014

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by White Chacha, Aug 5, 2013.

1. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

We’re pleased to announce that the next MIT Open ballroom dance competition will be held on April 26 and 27, 2014 in Rockwell Cage on the MIT campus. Mark your calendars, we hope you will join us!

http://ballroom.mit.edu/comp/

MIT Competition Committee

Larinda McRaven and stash like this.
  2. White Chacha

We're definitely overdue for some updates!

First, we're hoping you're planning to come to the MIT Open this year!

We are having a show - the fabulous Michael Malitowski and Joanna Leunis, world professional Latin champions! If you missed them at Big Apple, you should come. In fact, if you saw them, you should also come because they're doing an entirely different show!

Registration is open. You have two weeks to get in on our early registration rates. Early registration for the MIT Open closes on March 30, 2014. Sign up now at http://ballroom.mit.edu/comp !

-wc

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So...it looks like you guys have gone to O2CM for registration. Decided to stop doing the comp-in-a-box thing?

4. White Chacha

Hi Joe, the group we had working on it stopped having free time to invest in it; and most have drifted away from dancing entirely. The lead developer is happy to hand the project over to someone else if anyone wants to take it over.

Or maybe we've been assimilated by the ballroom borg ;-)

-wc

5. White Chacha

Reminder: early registration for the 2014 MIT Open closes today - 3/30/2014 EDT!

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Does that mean you guys are going to do the onsite scrut with O2CM as well?

7. White Chacha

Yes, as we did last year.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ah...since I wasn't there, I didn't know that. Judging on paper?

9. White Chacha

10. White Chacha

Yes, as far as I know.

11. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Thank you so much for a wonderful event! The UT team really enjoyed it. :D

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  12. White Chacha

Ailuene, happy to hear your team had a good time. We were glad to host the party. Hope you'll come again next year!

-wc

13. White Chacha

To anyone who's interested, the live stream video was captured during the broadcast, and is available at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/46779012 .

Give or take a few minutes, that should be all the competitive events over both days.

We're eagerly awaiting images from the photographer who was covering. Once we get them and they're uploaded, you can visit http://ballroom.mit.edu/comp for a link.

Enjoy,

-wc

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So from what I understand, there was some...oddness in the scoring. Things like couples getting recalls who weren't even there.

15. White Chacha

Hello Joe. Your avatar says "Well-Known Member" but I don't know you well. I'm also not aware of the errors you've heard of, but the scrutineering, apart from handling the technology for the result screens, was not my area.

I'd suggest if you have concerns, that you contact the team exec directly via the form at our web site (ballroom.mit.edu) rather than raise this here on the event announcement post of a public forum. If you have any specific examples, do cite them in your email message and I'm sure someone will get back to you.

-wc

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Getting recalls is different from being recalled.

Getting a recall mark when you aren't on the floor easily happens when judges eyes and brains don't connect and we write down 146 instead of 149. Or scrutineers hand and brain don't connect and they mistype.
    It is not uncommon to happen and almost always caught in time.

I have never ever heard of someone actually BEING recalled when they didn't even dance.

17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

There were more than just one or two such oddities that I personally know of (ie, people I know who got recalls in events they didn't dance). Statistics would suggest there may be many more than that from people I don't know. The concern comes in when, say you're one or two marks short of making a recall, and someone who didn't dance the event got a recall. Could it have been your recall and pushed you into the next round? I've never noticed so many instances of this before, and it wasn't isolated to one particular judge (which could be explained by poor handwriting).

18. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Yup, I once looked at comp results and saw that I had been marked -- I and I wasn't even there (had to scratch last minute). Wow! We're *that* good?!? :p

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, I did say getting recalls, not being recalled...

And I understand how it happens...scrutineers have to deal with all sorts of judging errors up there on the dais. BTDT.

However, I also know how O2CM works, and if couples are properly scratched/dropped from an event, there is no opportunity for a scrutineer typing error--that would be all on the judges.

20. White Chacha

Photos from the 2014 MIT Open are now online. You may view them at http://ballroom-media.mit.edu/gallery/v/MIT2014/ . If you want to use the photos for anything other than personal purposes, please contact the photographer, Kojo Acquah at <kacquah at mit dot edu>.

Enjoy!

mindputtee likes this.