General Dance Discussion > "... 3 Greatest Dances To Learn ..."

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DancePoet, Nov 18, 2007.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

On another thread Angel HI mentioned how "AT, is one of the 3 greatest dances to learn because in its most basic sense, it is solely based on natural walking." I asked what the other two were, and the reply was Bolero and International Slow Foxtrot.

This thread is started inorder not to completely hi-jack the other thread.

So the question now is ... what are the reasons for the other two?

And perhaps the secondary questions could be ... what would others feel are the "3 greatest dances to learn" and why?

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

In slowfox, natural walking is the first stage, and making it all look like natural walking is the last stage ;-)

Too bad we can't just fast forwad through the years of building foot strength, balance skills, comfort in side lead and CBMP positions, and all of the other new competencies that come in between.

In essense, slowfox is what natural walking would be if we moved our legs three times during a single step's body action, and that single step took three times as long and covered three times as much ground as usual.

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

In this, we agree completely. I have always taught, having learned the concept from Peter Eggleton many years ago, that the essence of BR is the abilty to rise/lower and good CBM/P.

In this, we agree completely, save for one thing....

Natural walking does not have the rise/lower (heel, toe, toe) of the basic 3 step walk of SF, nor the lilt on step 2 of the 3 -Step. But, I understand, and agree with your point.

Should we tell the others that we are agreeing in another thread, and watch them all fall over dead? :lol:

4. Chris Stratton

Yeah. I was sort of but perhaps illegitimately thinking of that as being a potential part of the giant step analogy. I had actually added a sentance about it looking like dancing on the moon might, only our feet hovering to cover for the fact that we aren't, but then took it out because instead of a gracefull impossibly slow hovering lope, that might conjur up images of bouncing.

Oh, and i'd kind of simplified it to continuous waves but with the guy going forward so a little more muted in shape changes... you can get away with stuff like that in mental imagery.

Well, I think they'll be safe due to our disagreement over our degree of agreement in the other thread.

5. Chris Stratton

Curious about bolero choice though... especially given the repuation as a studio invention.

6. Angel HI

AT is, more than all other dances, based solely on the natural movement of balancing over one step at a time, and moving through the legs to the next place. Because of the nature of the movement, the options for what the next movement is and where the place is are greater than many other dances. Further, because of the "embrace" (a more natural form of "frame"), the intricacies of the lead/follow are invaluable as a learning tool for other dances.

The American tango, when danced well (not marchy as seems to be a precedent), resembles the AT much in terms of movement and footwork. Learning to dance in the middle, as opposed to from foot to foot as in other dances, increases one's awareness insurmountably for this and other dance movement skills.

Bolero (American) is a beautiful dance. I am extremely unhappy that the Bolero, since the intervention of DS, has taken on a different appeal, or trend, and lost much of its soft infinity. This was its greatest contribution to dance. Learning this dance, in its former form of glide/rise, whisk, and slight body roll on the lead's left, is paramount to becoming the best that one can be. The benefits here are: impressive contra-body movement, glide, sustained rise, impeccable balance (whisk), controlled lowers, and infinitive movement.

SF, Slow Fox has been discussed above by Chris. This is the dance that all serious BR dancers want to master. This is the highest peak. The most important things to learn in this dance...rise/lower, CBM/P, in-line and outside partner positioning. Also, how to sustain movement over a series of underlying beats. To learn how to execute and control the soft, almost slow motion, smooth, elegant movement of this dance, together with the infinitive rhythm movement of Bolero, and the mid-weighted movement of tango, will teach dancers everything they need to know in order to be a top dancers.

7. Angel HI

Again, agreed. But, I hope that the above post will clarify.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I guess I am going to twist this and just say that of the 4 ballroom styles that I dance, if I could only dance 3 it would be smooth tango, smooth vw, and rhythm cha cha....(gasp...not waltz or bolero...hey, things change)...why?, dunno...just enjoy them the most

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'd give them all (ballroom anything) up in a heartbeat for the the feel of a good AT embrace.

Oh...wait...I already did that. :)

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

WCS, Cha Cha, I'm unsure about the third.

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

We'll really die of shock when you mention swing.

12. fascination

it IS moving up in the ranks

13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Are not ALL dances pale copies of their original forms, emanating from, usually the lower stratas of society? ( rhetorical ), and embelished by the " dancers" of the day, subsequently passed on to each generation .

Bolero, is probably closer in its basic concept ( and Sq. rumba ), than most any of the other partnership dances as currently performed .It still retains many of its basic characteristic movements , primarily because the music has remained virtually unchanged .

As to studio invention--- like most of the B/Room figures are not ??

If one looks at its ( Bolero ) musical origins, it is still essentially composed in the same manner . Few other dances can lay claim to that .

PS-- my 3 choices --- Slow trot-- Salsa and T/ Arg.--( this is so subjective )

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Smooth Tango (until I learn International), ECS (my pro will faint if he reads this--my old pro would die of shock), and Bolero, which is currently kicking my butt, but I want to be good at it very much....

15. Angel HI

Do we remember that the Op is which 3 dances does one believe to be the most important to the learning of dance. Some choices are rather odd, as it seems that many are replying to which 3 dances they like, in general. On a side note, I find it interesting that TT and I agree on 2 of the 3.

16. fascination

well drat.....okay...I think waltz, tango, and rumba because(between the three of them) they capture a spirit that can be transferred to almost any song...in my own non-theoretical view

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think that was actually said on another thread that a lot of people have been avoiding.:)

18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Salsa
    Flamenko
    Jazz

19. Angel HI

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I am now afraid of the Other Thread. I think it has broken my brain.