Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > 6 Reasons Dancing May Have Lost Its Step

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Beto, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks for sharing beto...I think some good points are made

3. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

This is interesting. We were just talking about this the other day.

4. TAK

TAK Member

Grrr, annoying to see that people are blaming the pros for not being able to do the dances the show is suddenly demanding (like the Charleston) -- glad some reader comments speak to that mistake.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

did have to say that I fould that to be a bit silly

6. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

That is a limitation of entertainment business. People want to see new stuff every time when they turn on the tv. Might end up with bboying some point.

7. Beto

Beto Active Member

Then Lacey, Mark and maybe, Derek, would have an advantage over some of the other pros. As much as I love other dance styles, I wish *this* show would stick to the expected dances from Ballroom and Latin. There's no need to bring in the other styles except for maybe the group numbers and the finale's freestyle.

8. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Let's see how it goes. I agree that I want this show to stick to the original motive. But, it seems that it goes to somewhere wonderland..... I guess that the show needs to compete with other dance shows like SYTYCD or ABDC, which has more younger viewers.....

9. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the article. As Beto said, we all agree, and have touted these same things all season. Hopefully, DWTS will see the article, and make some changes.

Then, again, maybe pigs can fly. :/

10. RickRS

RickRS Member

While I think SYTYCD is a better dance show, DwtS out-performs it and ABDC in ratings and viewer numbers by a very large margin. DwtS is in the top 15 shows for 18-49 age group, and often top 5 or top 10 for all ages, week in, week out, this season. SYTYCD is lucky if it shows in the top 25 in either, which it didn't the last two weeks.

11. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Well, definitely DWTS outperforms against other dance shows. It has celebrities in the show, which the other two do not have it. And, think about how much money they put on the show and commercials they have compared to the other shows. It should be much better of course. But, you cannot quarantee that today's rating will be last forever. Also, shows out there which have similar concept and present new ideas on the show, even a big on like DWTS gotta pay attention.

12. IndySpinner

IndySpinner New Member

My instructor and her partner interviewed in LA for the 2010 season of DWTS. A few weeks after the interview, she told me that they called her and said that the show was being cancelled. Has anyone else heard anything about the show being cancelled for 2010?

13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm....I would highly doubt that. It's still doing well in the ratings. Not as well as it did previously. But I don't think it's sunk low enough to warrant cancelation. I however have no inside knowledge of the show.

14. Josh

Josh Active Member

I haven't ever watched this show for a full hour, and haven't seen it on the air since at least 2006, but if they're doing the charleston, I don't want to see it.

15. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of the points made in this article. i'd really like to see it get back to the original format of, say, season 2 or 3. 2 dance styles/week. (eiher from Int'l dances[+maybe mambo ;)] + smooth/std dances) + constructive criticism + some interesting people please???

However, i really disagree with the statement about young and inexperienced dancers. The original goal of the show was for BALLROOM competition. Charleston does NOT EQUAL ballroom. Mark Ballas is a VERY knowledgable ballroom dancer (especially for his age) and practically comes from ballroom royalty. It is clear the author was unaware of this.

16. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I found an article from Dec. 22 - an interview with Tom Bergeron, and he says he expects the show to proceed with its scheduled March 22 premiere.

17. Linda J Schlensker

Linda J Schlensker New Member

Dwst

I saw a recent post on Twitter listing 2010 line up. Unfortunately I didn't save it. I am compiling lists of DWST stars on Twitter as well as news info on Ballroom Dancing. Anyone is welcome to my lists. Retweeted the Tango done at the White House by some of the DWST stars. If you are interested go to Twitter.com and type in Linda Schlensker in the search bar. Twitter lists can be a great advance in finding Ballroom on Twitter. I would be very interested in anyone else's.

18. reb

reb Active Member

Hi TD :D

We been lucky to be represented by talent of the caliber of Louis and Karina . . . and Mark. I think that has made the show more intriguing than just show entertainment. And without that talent, we would have written it off.

The fact that Mark pulled it off is a testimony to his skill.

The fact that such an amazing dancer as Mark might not know something about a dance is what is interesting from the perspective of 19M US viewers - of which what, maybe less than 1% are in ballroom game.

19. reb

reb Active Member

Thanks Beto.

I took this:

"6. Judges Need to Judge
    It's been said before, but it needs to be said again. Far too often, the judges make the show about their personalities instead of their judgment. We don't see how calling someone "beige" qualifies as constructive criticism. The flimsy and generic "I don't like what I see" review doesn't fly either. If they don't like what they see, judges should tell competitors what they do want. And we wouldn't mind seeing a few steps from three professional dancers. (Gyrating on top of a table with fringe pants draped over you doesn't count.)"

. . . to mean the author was suggesting that the judges should actually dance a figure or more to demonstrate the good technique they are blathering about.

Now, that would be some accomplishment - but then they'd have to work as hard as the stars . . . !