Event Announcements > 9th Annual Holy Cross Ballroom Dance Competition

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by JohnLL, Dec 18, 2007.

1. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to clue everyone in that the 9th Annual Holy Cross Ballroom Dance Competition will be on Saturday, February 23 this year. I know February is turning out to be a busy month for dancers so hopefully everyone can make it.
    Details are in the process of being posted at www.hcballroom.com and registration will be up shortly, I'm told, on www.ballroomregistrar.com so check the sites for updates and info.
    Questions, concerns, comments and miscellaneous banter regarding the comp may be posted here and if I don't know the answer I will try and find out for y'all.

Happy Holidays! :)

2. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

*bump*
    I know there are a ton of comps in February so just wanted to remind everyone that registration for the Holy Cross competition closes Sunday night, the weekend of the BU comp so don't forget about us in all the craziness! All of the details of our competition are finalized so you can see all that at www.hcballroom.com and if the answer isn't there feel free to email someone.
    Also, a couple people have asked about housing. Housing is FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE and is LIMITED. There is still housing available so please email using the contact info on the team website as soon as possible if you even think you might need housing.
    Best of luck to all in the upcoming competitions!

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Please note also that this info can be found by mousing over "competition" on the left-hand side, and a drop-down menu will open up. The main comp page in and of itself doesn't tell you much.

4. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

Thanks and123 it's funny that you mention that because I just had that conversation this past week with our webmaster. Yes there are drop-down boxes available by mousing over the "Competition" link on our page that aren't clear right away. He is working on that and some other formatting issues including an issue with viewing our page when using Safari (Mac users). Any other feedback about our website is also much appreciated.

5. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

Hey all, if anyone has any feedback or comments on how our competition went please feel free to post them here or PM me.
    Overall I thought the competition was run pretty well with only some minor negatives. We did end up running until about 8:15 or 8:20 that night instead of our announced 8:00 end time, which is unusual for our comp. This had mostly to do with delaying our initial start and then delaying our start for the second session (Standard) while we waited for late-arriving teams.
    I do want to say thank you to everyone who came despite the snow on Friday night and the less than perfect road conditions.
    We also kept 5 judges on the floor this year rather than the 3 that we have had in the past. This was always one of the biggest complaints we received about our competition and I'm happy we were able to address it this year despite losing 2 judges to the flu at the last minute.
    I personally thought announcements were much better this year than in the past in terms of events being announced in advance and in terms of keeping the order of events as logical as possible.
    The size of our ballroom was less of an issue this year also due to a smaller turnout because of the snowstorm but continues to be the primary limiting factor in growing our competition.
    Other than this I was not made aware of any major issues throughout the day so if there were any PLEASE let us know!
    Thank you again to all who attended!!!

6. BM

BM New Member

It was a very well-run comp, and I quite enjoyed myself despite being sleep- and caffeine-deprived for the majority of the day. My one major question regarding the organisation was about the initial callbacks for Silver Smooth (I did not stay for Rhythm, so I don't know if it was the same): from 29 couples, call back 24?? I understand getting an even number and all, but judges could have called back 18 from 29 (or 26, or whatever it was), then 12, then 6. Silver quarters seemed to go on forever. By the time we got back to Bronze and Newcomer, I had all but forgotten about them (and I had kids competing!).

I also enjoyed the fun dance, but probably would have liked it more if we'd started with a more familiar dance: "Nobody knows the Two-Step . . ."

Overall: well-done!

7. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

The most irritating thing was when callback #s were announced out of order. Logically you assume if a number before you and after you is called that you didn't make the cut, but the numbers were all over the place. I too was a little confused about the sizes of the cuts, and how the heats were run longer than usual (or so it seemed - didn't actually time it), or run more than once.

8. BM

BM New Member

YES. That, too. I liked not having the projector: it brought back a sense of excitement to callbacks. However, I could have done without the lack of numerical order. Rounds felt long, as well.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What difference does it make that they called back 29 to 24 vs. 29 to 18? You still gotta run a 1st round either way, then the quarter, semi, and final.

10. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

I do want to apologize for the lack of numerical order in some of the callbacks. I'm not sure whether that was the way the data came from the scrutineer or if it was due to some confusion on the part of the MC. I think it was a combination of the two in the early rounds of callbacks. We are discussing ways to mitigate this type of problem in the future.
    The reasons for the size of the callback rounds (i.e. 24 from 29 rather than 18 from 29) was that our detail schedule for the day was taken a little too literally. Typically I use round numbers when doing the schedule and so long as the number of rounds and heats are correct I don't worry about 18 v. 24 v. 29. However, the numbers on that schedule were pretty much what the MC used to callback couples. This will be addressed next year when the schedule is done.
    To the best of my knowledge no heat had to be run more than once.
    I had a couple of comments from people on the music and how it seemed too long. I DJ'd the music for a couple of hours during the day and everything was faded at exactly 90 seconds (except Paso, which I faded on the second crash). I am going to do some more research on this however since more than one person has mentioned it.
    BM coming from you I take a "Well-done" as quite a compliment since I know you just finished running your own two-day event. :)

11. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

John,

My partner and I enjoyed competing at Holy Cross this past weekend. We thought that the competition was well organized and was a lot of fun to attend. The ballroom is beautiful. Dancers had plenty of space to change. Thanks!

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Lorelei, I *loved* your dress :cool:

13. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Thank you! I am very fond of it myself.

14. BM

BM New Member

Agreed!

15. BM

BM New Member

No worries. That seemed to be one of the only hiccups during the day, which, as far as I am concerned should be one of the biggest concerns of the day anyway (i.e., if that's your biggest problem at a comp, then you're doing splendidly).

Indeed, everything ran well. I guess my thought there was that the jump from quarters to semis, or 1st round to quarters (couldn't keep track - I was sooooo tired) didn't seem notable at that proportion of callbacks: "Ooh, we were one of all but five of the couples that got called back." Or even worse, "Okay, they called back all but five couples, and we weren't good enough to make that cut." Personal observation/preference, I suppose.

I don't remember noticing it with Latin. It was Standard and Smooth where I noticed it. Perhaps there was such a long run of ballroom music (versus Latin) that it felt longer? ::shrugs::

::beams:: Thank you for the props! I certainly don't consider myself an authority when it comes to comp-organisation, as there are many other organisers who have done bigger and better things, but I do like to share what I know and observe. The more useful information gets passed around, the easier it makes our lives when we get to apply it to our own projects! :) (On a different note, have we met, by any chance?)

16. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Thank you, BM!

17. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

Not officially. I meant to come over and say hi on Saturday but a combination of not feeling well all day and being busy behind the scenes kept me distracted. I was the one with glasses and an HC jacket talking to RIDancer at your comp last Sunday though when you came over to say hi. I'll have to make a point of stopping by at the next comp I see you at and saying hi. :)

18. BM

BM New Member

::chuckles:: And of course I can't remember that specific instance last Sunday, courtesy of the overloaded cranium. :rolleyes: Do say hello at Harvard, if you're around for Syllabus Latin!

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why you'd rather call back 18 from 29 than call back 24 from 29...

20. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member