Tango Argentino > A bit of tango in your salsa?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, May 3, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Anyone who dances multiple styles probably peppers their dancing with bits 'n' pieces from other styles _ swing with jive etc _ but, at a salsa night a while back, I saw this totally fabulous demo of argentine tangoed salsa, if that makes any sense.

It was fantastic. As a mad salsera and tanguera, I was mind-boggled and am now trying to whack in the odd tango move in my salsa. I'm not sure that I've got it yet, but I think it looks OK. This couple weren't just dancing salsa with a bit of Argentine tango thrown in, it was a whole lot of salsa and a whole lot of tango. Quite odd, but strangely addictive.

Anyone in the same boat? Perhaps you've got some tips of moves that make it across the two styles easily.

Anyone whacked a boleo into a quickstep? :)

2. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Actually Liz Lera (and I think I misspelled that last name) puts a lot of tango into the salsa she teaches. It works but its very hard to lead, if your partner is unfamiliar with the moves.

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh. Thanks, Dragon. I looked her up on Google using that spelling, but couldn't find her (unless she's recently reported an alien sighting). If you do have the correct spelling, I'd love to read about her and her style.

4. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

5. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Thanks, Dragon.

I found it, hopped online to tell you and you beat me to it! :) Good work!

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I saw Liz Lira here in Japan not too long ago. She uses some ballet moves as well. A lot of the hot salseras have ballet background- you can tell right off because they're the most limber!!!
    I think tango moves can be tactfully incorporated into salsa and I am trying out a few moves myself.

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Actually I see people who dance tango doing salsa every Tuesday night. Definitely can see that tehy are AT dancers, but don't know much about AT to know what exactly they are doing. The dance style, however, cannot be mistaken for something else.

8. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

The one thing that came up at the workshop that we had here with Liz is just that must people won't know to follow something like a tango leg flick.

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I wanna, I wanna :banana: :lol: I think with alot of things, it is down to the user/dancer to judge when to do something therefore they are dancing rather than "pattern dancing". There is certain footwork that I have seen which a female could do "at appropriate times" eg. a leg flick either through the guy's legs (but not too high of course :wink: ) or on the outside of his legs. Generally speaking, there are some moves that can't be lead, if the woman has never done them BUT when it comes to footwork, that in my opinion, is unleadable and therefore the woman/guy can do whatever they want. Oh, and may Shines live forever :lol: