A DIY Portable Dance Floor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Heresy, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Heresy

Heresy New Member

I have recently been interested in constructing a portable dance floor after my instructor bought one so he could give lessons at his house. I was only able to really see the general profile of the squares and have a rough idea of how they all work (I wasn't going to ask him to rip it up so I could make a CAD rendering or anything). The going prices from internet companies are just out the roof, andI think it would be a really fun project to do later when I have more time than I do now.

So, I don't know how experienced anyone is with flooring here and construction here, but it doesn't seem implausible that this project could be done for no more than a few hundred dollars for a sizable floor with good results. The main constraint of the project would be making sure the floor is not too tall and can easily be joined together to form a decent dance surface. From what I have seen with the factory portable floors is that each square has a perimeter made of angle iron that encloses wood paneling. I am not clear on how the panels are joined exactly or how many layers of wood used.

So, does this whole thing seem doable if the person making the floor has about a decades worth of carpentry experience, can weld well, and has a full shop at their disposal? If so, I would like to understand how the interlocking pieces hold together and what hardware would be needed.

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Is it heresy to ask about constructing your own dance floor?

:D

Welcome, Heresy.
    Someone will show up who knows about such things.

3. macha

macha New Member

I'll be around to take notes, too! I had FFA in high school, and I for one am tired of getting chigger-bitten toes while barefooting it in my pasture!