Tango Argentino > A good sylabus for close embrace Tango learning

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Mar 6, 2010.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

What is a high sacada?

2. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're asking... are you asking me to comment further on my own post or asking others to comment on my post?

3. Lui

Lui Active Member

In my world Skodas are cars made by a branch of the Volkswagen group. My sister drives one. Never seen one on the dance floor though.

I agree, that it will take about several month or even years for followers to develop an “relaxed” leg. On the other hand flowers will learn to receive an average forward sacada in 5 minutes, given they have already a decent walk and ochos and are dancing with a professional dancer. Leaders will take about 1 to 2 lessons to get going. You can learn incredible fast, once everything is explained in details and combined with an throughout training system. The trick is to find such a teacher.

In my opinion learning from video is rather hard, as many aspects, like the lead, can’t be experienced nor questioned. While a sacada is easy to learn one on one, its very difficult to learn just from video. For me all scadas are low keeping the followers foot on the floor, but that might be a question of semantics.

There are more options, than just three. Inviting some teacher/Milonguero/skilled person to that place for example, but yes there will be costs involved most likely. As the old saying goes; “The only thing free in life is death”. Frequently, I encounter students struggling to unlearn something they have made up by them self, inspired by the internet. It’s just such a waste of energy and the ladies are often at the painful end.

4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

A voice of reason, finally. Thank you.

5. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

As for options, traveling to Buenos Aires is one.
    Organizing a trip to Buenos Aires for a group of local tango community members might be another.
    Inviting teachers, organizing workshops is what lots of people who live in tango deserts and are eager to learn and create the community, do.
    It is impossible to learn tango using mostly videos and internet discussion board.
    If there is no way to learn tango in your area, take up salsa or swing instead.

6. Zoopsia59

I agree.. I think I may have led that sacada successfully once or twice, and I KNOW I've been led in it, and I STILL can't figure it out from watching the video Mario posted!

7. Zoopsia59

By a "high sacada" are you referring to a castigada or leg wrap rather than just a step that displaces the follower by stepping into her spot and creating the illusion by moving her body?

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

With the high sacada there is a true displacement and light contact that typically occurs above the follower's knee. The low sacada doesn't require contact, but if it does occur, it's below the knee. The follower can do a quick leg wrap embellishment, but I wouldn't call it a castigada (although I might be wrong on that).

BTW, I didn't make up the high vs low sacada thing. One of my teachers (an Argentine who now lives in Boston) explained it to me. Of course I've also talked to a few people who said that only one (or the other type) was the only "true" sacada.

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

My favorite is an "in line" or "linear" sacada in an apilado embrace. The man literally steps straight into the woman, between her legs. Contact occurs between the man's outer thigh against the woman's inner thigh.
    VERY important to have a good connection and be moving well together to pull it off.

10. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

Hmm - to be honest i don't find that modern tango requires more technical skill - i can do a decent imitation of open embrace nuevo with a follower who has danced for maybe 1 or 2 years, while i find that dancing inventive and musical CE on one squarefoot requires a degree of connection, awareness and active following and precision that only very few followers have. A open embrace inline boleo in the line of dance is easy, a close embrace in line boleo between my legs is difficult.
    Gssh

11. dchester

For some strange reason, I've never had any desire to lead that move.

;-)

12. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Is this while walking cross footed and is the woman being pivoted to her left at the second that the sacada is to occur?:confused:

13. dchester

You don't need to be in cross system for this sacada. If you step in (do the sacada) with your right foot (sacadaing her right foot/leg), the pivot will be clockwise.

14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

OK.
    You are walking parallel.
    I usually do this when I am stepping forward on my right foot.
    She will be stepping back on her left.
    Usually nobody asks about some of this stuff. I will try to find the class notes for this one.
    As I don't quite remember it, setting it up is a bit tricky, and I want to make sure I get it right. There is, however, practically zero rotation.
    To paraphrase Gsssh...
    Wanna make sure I get it right!
    (So should we all because if you think about where you are stepping...)

15. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

I hardly know how to respond to this except to say no. Dynamic colgadas? No. Volcadas NOT treated as a step pattern but with every motion, including interrupting or reversing the leg sweep, lead? No. Dancing musically, creatively and inventively in an open connection on a single floor tile? No. Etc.

To me, modern/nuevo is _not_ about big or flashy moves. To me, it is about an extreme subtlety of communication, using a wide variety of connections, and permitting a huge variety of movements. It would be impossible to be a decent modern tango dancer and find anything remotely difficult about dancing in CE on a single floor tile since the CE connection, and the ability to dance CE well, is a small subset of what I consider modern/nuevo tango. BTW, that's why I have invested as many hours as I have taking CE privates with someone I consider one of the best CE teachers residing in the US.

16. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

You guys have to be kidding me; there is nothing difficult about any of this save for being in a close embrace. All that is required from both partners is a basic knowledge of middle, center, balance. Setting up the sacada dentro isn't difficult either if the lead has learned the basics of the walk (outside/inside).

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I think it requires different skills; we had a discussion about this a while back I think.

I don't know whether it requires more skill.

18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Love these. *swoon*

*ahem* Back on topic, everyone, nothing to see here.

19. Zoopsia59

I think the issue is being able to suss out what is being done by watching it go by quickly from a weird angle on a video. I'm thinking Mario could get this move quite quickly if it was actually demonstrated to him live by an instructor.

Describing it in words complicates it... like so many things in tango that if you could just SHOW someone what you mean, it would be so much easier. But that doesn't mean that watching a video of a demo from an angle that hides one partner is going to instruct you at all.

20. Zoopsia59

Hoo boy! Hose 'er down!
    (heading off to fetch bucket of cold water)