Salsa > A Night at Cocoa Beach

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Another Dane, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Another Dane

Another Dane New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for somewere to dance salsa in or near Cocoa in Florida.

I only have one week (nr 35) in Florida, and the most of the time I'll be with my family, but for just ONE night, I want to feel what its like to dance salsa somewere ... HOT :p 8)

I love dancing salsa here in Denmark, and I'll be asking Sonja from Aalborg to dance later tonight (and I'm looking forward to it!), but the truth is that Denmark is a cold place to live, and lots of danes rush off to somewere warm each year, just to get the frost out of the bones...

Now it's my turn, and even though it is a hot day in Denmark (25 c) I feel cold inside. :shock:

Brrr... I need to danse SALSA!!!

So, please help me find the right place to go when I get to Cocoa Beach!

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df "Another Dane". I see a lot of you have been joining us. The word must be spreading. :)

What part of Florida will you be staying at, and how far would you be willing to travel? How many hours?

3. Another Dane

Another Dane New Member

Hi Sagitta!

I'll be staying at Merritt Island, and I'm willing to drive about an hour, I guess...

I have a nice map of the area, and I was hoping to put 2 - 3 dots on it, right where the best places are!

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Merritt Island is about an hour drive from downtown Orlando, and there are quite a few salsa venues around the Orlando area.

The only dance I could find in Cocoa Beach proper was contra dance. Not quite salsa! :lol:

I'm swamped today -- contractors in and out of the house giving estimates. I'll dig up a couple Central Florida salsa dance links for you as soon as I can. 8) I'll try to concentrate on the East side of Orlando, which is closer to Cocoa. :D

5. pygmalion

Okay. Here's a fairly well maintained salsa venue page. No matter where you go from Merritt Island, East end of Orlando or downtown Orlando, takes about an hour to drive.

http://www.salsapower.com/cities/fl/orlando.htm

(It's counterintuitive if you look at a map. Orlando's east end is a lot closer to Merritt Island, but the only access is via a semi-rural, two-lane road, State Route 50. If you go downtown, you'll be driving on the 408, a high-speed, limited access highway. So it's your choice. Drive time's about the same.)

There are some reasonable venues near the Orlando tourist areas/attractions, too. 8)

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Umm, Sagitta... Another Dane joined the DF three months before you did... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another Dane... Hope all's been well by you and welcome *back* to the DF. :wink: Hopefully Jenn's lead will find you something to your liking, and have a great trip.

7. pygmalion

That page is pretty good. It lists many of the more popular salsa spots in Orlando, and it's maintained by someone who owns and runs a salsa studio and is very well connected to the scene. That should help. btw, the spots on University Boulevard are the ones on the East end of Orlando.

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well I told everyone that people at the office think I'm a little weird as I'm so psyched about the trip to meet other dfers this weekend and more. Must pay closer attention. Must pay closer attention....

9. pygmalion

I can relate, Sagitta. I can relate. 8)

10. Another Dane

Another Dane New Member

Thank you for showing me this site! :D :D It shows exactly what I needed to se, and there are plenty of places to choose between. Two places seem most promising; ”Caribbean Beach Club” and ”Night Lights”.

I think I’ll try ”Night Lights”, and just dance the night away!

Yes it's true, :oops: I've been ghosting around the dance forum for some time now, just reading a post here and there. I try to be a lot more visible om the dance floor!

11. Sonia in Aalborg

Sonia in Aalborg New Member

Hi!
    I know this is way off topic but I just wanted to say hello to 'Another Dane' and add that I had a good time dancing with you last night ... the merengue included! :):):) Have a nice trip and see you in Århus on the 4th! :D

12. pygmalion

I'm still looking for some dance places closer to where you're staying. Cocoa Beach has an official tourism page, but no dance spots were listed. I'll keep trying. 8)

13. mexi_gabacho

mexi_gabacho New Member

What date/days?

Hey there... what actual date/day are you planning on being the area?

I would not recommend Carribean Beach Club for salsa dancing, honestly. It can be rather 'thuggy' most of the popular nights, and they tend to play less and less salsa as the night goes on (more reggae, reggaeton, etc.). Although, that might have changed as I haven't been there in a while.

Night Lights is actually now called 'Club Lava' (listed on the same page) and their Latin Night is Saturday night. This place is a nice little club, HOWEVER it is right off of the University of Central Florida so it turns into a 'meet market' quickly and plays more reggaeton, merenque, etc. than salsa. I went there a couple of times and honestly it was a little too 'collegiate' for my taste. But, some people really like it.

They still mix it in pretty well, but I think there are better places for Saturday night, such as 'Samba Room' (live bands and good dance space for the most part) although that would be a longer drive for you as it is in the middle of the tourism area of Orlando.

For Friday Nights, I really like this place called 'Tropical Magic' is is kinda smallish, but they play great music and they cator to the salsa crowd (as it is promoted by a local salsa studio).

There is also Roxy on Wednesdays and the FIRST Friday of the month. Very nice club, good music... pretty decent dance space.

Let's see.... Latin Quarter at Universal Studios CityWalk (a good drive for you as well) has dancing Thursday through Sunday. They play a good mix of music... the only complaint I have is that their dance floor SUCKS for spinning. It is more of a stage designed for musical performers than dancers.

Hope this helps you think a bit at least. I have a just a few regular places that I go to, but I haven't ventured to all of the latin clubs here yet. With the hurricane recently, I haven't been dancing in a WHOLE WEEK and it is driving me nuts. I'm hoping things are back to normal by Wednesday as I really am getting withdrawels. :)

Have fun on your trip.

14. pygmalion

There's a new salsa club on Orange Avenue in the center of downtown. Like, maybe Central Boulevard? I'll have to double check on the name. $10 cover.

I like Samba room, too, but yikes! That's quite a drive from Cocoa Beach.

15. mexi_gabacho

mexi_gabacho New Member

Other Clubs in Orlando

pygmalion,

Which other clubs have you been to in Orlando and can you tell me a little about them (when you get a chance). I eventually would like to check out some of the others.

Also, if you find out anything about that new club, let me know.

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Re: What date/days?

I was there a couple of years ago and liked it... if it is still run the same it would get my vote.

17. pygmalion

Yup. The Roxy is a universal fave. Even the ballroom regulars go there after ballroom dances (which end WAY too early!) to finish up the evening of dancing. It's nice. 8)

And sure, mexi_gabacho. Let's get together and compare notes. I'm still kinda swamped at the moment -- replacing my roof, among other things. So give me a few to get my act together, then let's talk. :wink: :D

18. Neil

Neil Member

I used to live in Orlando about seven years ago. There were a few places that played some Salsa music and there were always a few people there who could keep a beat, but I never saw any real Salsa dance fanatics. I know there are a couple up there, I just saw a few of them again last weekend at the Miami Salsa Congress, it's just that there are very few and none of them are at the level of say the Salsa Lovers Dance Studio Performance Team.

By the way, I remember at least one club was a nice place to hang out and listen to Salsa music and do a few dances. I just prefer places that are packed with people who dance everyday.

19. pygmalion

Yup, Neil. You're right. Orlando is not Miami. Not by any means. But there's quite a lot of salsa dancing in town these days. Not all of it stellar, but quite a lot.

btw, did you run into Juliet McMains and her salsa formation team last weekend? I don't know if they made it to the performance or not because of the hurricane. :?

20. Neil

Neil Member

Is there a lot more there now than there was seven years ago? At least Orlando had plenty of country western dancing.

I remember a team of two or three couples from Orlando. If I remember them correctly they danced to a medley that included something like a Bachata and maybe a reggaton. They were young and, although not the most polished team of the night, they had a lot of rhythm, even the boys. There were so many teams that I could be mixed up though.