Tango Argentino > A poor excuse for Argentine Tango... I am Disgusted with Dancing with the Stars

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Me, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Me

Me New Member

Oh, sorry. I had her confused with whoever is in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VYZKoGGum0E

I remember people at the ATOF sneering (rightfully so) over this one, and I confused the woman with the one in the video posted here. They're both equally terrible. :p

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Sam

Funny !! :D

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, at least there were some things recognizeable as AT.

Maybe, though, they might want to actually have her use some AT shoes, instead of ballroom (looked like latin) ones. You know, use the correct tools for the job, show some respect for the art, that sort of thing.

4. Twirly

Twirly New Member

You know, it's interesting with this couple. I've only ever seen them do this kind of AT dancing, very show dance with AT elements plus a million lifts etc. The AT feel isn't there (though I think it's a bit unfair to say that she is equally terrible as the other pro who had never tried AT before!).

I know they said they won some kind of world championship, but I don't really know which comp that is. Is there another world of AT going on separate from the "real" one, with dance sport people organizing comps etc?

This couple are based outside of London and also won the UK Salon championship here recently. Unfortunately I missed the competition, which was held in one of the London milongas. I've never seen them in a milonga or heard about them organizing classes etc. But, this competition was judged by the top AT people in London (OK, not much to brag about, but still) - one of them was Leandro Palou, who danced for a long time with Andrea Missé, so I have to assume their salon dancing was pretty good.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

6. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Isn't that what Tango fantasia is all about? I don't like the lifts myself, but all the AT shows I've seen recently (Tango fire, tango por dos, Romance [SIZE=-1]D'Carnaval) [/SIZE]seem to have them to a point.

I think there's a lot of negative comments on this thread - personally, I'm just happy to see AT reach a wider audience, but then I'm just a humble beginner.

Probably - if it's anything like salsa, there are about 2,344 world champions at any one time :)

But from their website, their competition list is:
    - UK Professional Ten Dance Champions 2002-2006
    - UK Professional Showdance Champions 2003-2006
    - UK Argentine Tango Champions 2006
    - World Argentine Tango Show Champions 2005/2006
    - UK Ballroom Champions
    - World and European Ten Dance and Showdance finalists 2002 - 2006

I don't know anything more about these competitions, or how credible they are, of course, but I assume they must be reasonably competent, certainly better than most of us mortals could ever aspire to.

7. Peaches

I know there are some AT competitions out there. I don't remember much about them, b/c it's been a year or so since I've looked into it. But I know I've run across them in the past. So, they're out there.

8. Peaches

I agree that getting AT out to a wider audience is a good thing. And, if SYTYCD is the only way to a wider audience, well, then, it's the way you gotta' do it.

About the negative comments... I think all of us here understand that AT on tv is trying to sell an image--sexy, sultry, rose-between-the-teeth bull crap. Yeah, it's what people expect and want to see. Yeah, if you showed a wider audience the subtle beauty of AT it would probably be completely lost. I think we lament the fact that it has to be this way, because we know and understand the true beauty and passion of AT, and it can't compare to the crap that gets portrayed.

Furthermore, as far as AT performances go, it was lackluster. Maybe she's got AT World Champtionships out the butt...fine. Good for her. (Although in that case I really don't understand why she seems to be wearing latin shoes.) I understand that she's working with a "star" and has to put together something in under a week. As such, it was fine. Heavy, stiff, and boring...but fine given the constraints. But I'd never call it a beautiful performance. I think that's where you're getting a lot of the blowback over the video.

9. bordertangoman

Are we talking about Flavia here?

10. Peaches

No no no...sorry about that.

I meant the So You Think You Can Dance video that Dave Bailey posted.

11. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Strictly Come Dancing, actually - same format as the Dance With The Stars clip at the start of this thread. My main purpose was to compare and contrast with that clip, but I suspect that's been lost somewhere. :rolleyes:

As for the music choice, presumably one could argue that Nuevo Tango is about different musical choices? Paul Bottomer's tango salon last week had a lovely 30-minute set at the end, but I'd have called the music "Blues" rather than "Tango". But it worked, for me at least.

But as a general point, do people think it's good to see a less-than-perfect AT to a wide audience, or is it harmful? I took the view that it's great to see this shown on prime-time TV, getting positive publicity for AT.

Finally, on the "blowback", fortunately I'm reasonably thick-skinned. But to me, some of the vitriol seemed excessive, especially directed to a new member. As a moderator of another dance forum, I'd certainly have posted something to that effect if I saw similar comments there, to the effect of "please don't scare the newbie off". Group "sneering" is not very welcoming.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow, really enjoyed that one, BTM.

quite a pair of legs on little miss wigglebottom, there. whoah.

13. Peaches

Oh. I haven't watched tv for years, so the finer points are lost on me.

AT and music is something that will always get people riled up, IME. I wasn't a fan of the music, but only because that song and it's rendition didn't do anything for me. As for dancing AT to non-AT music (or Nuevo, or Neo/Electronic, or whatever you want to call it), people seem to either love it or hate it. No one, IME, comes down in the middle. You've got your traditionalists, and those who are accepting of new stuff. Personally, I love AT because the freedom lets it be danceable to just about anything. I keep trying to find something that my teacher can't lead AT to, and so far I've failed. Techno, salsa, paso, swing, waltz, samba, cha, hustle--I've danced AT to all of it.

I haven't been able to make up my mind on this. Wider publicity for it is, I think, a good thing. But the twisting and watering-down that has to happen to make it palatable for mass audiences is just such a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since I'm not 100% convinced I'd love to see lots of people suddenly get interested from a tv show.

I'm sorry you felt this way. I don't think any of it was directed at you, per se. Towards the video, and what gets passed off as great AT, sure. It's aggravating to see the beautiful dance that we love and feel so strongly about demeaned by not even having a well-known AT figure represent it. To borrow from another thread, it's like having a ballroom champion do a demo of "street salsa." Come on, now, that's just not cool.

14. bordertangoman

Just to be awkward:wink: I like both and hates lots of music in both camps:
    Pugliese has the best of all tango tunes: Negracha, La Yumba, Zum; Lomuto 's Una Emocion hooks me in, Di Sarli rocks.

Tanghetto leaves me cold and I hate dancing to 'It takes two to tango' (Satchmo?) lovely tune but not for tango; Gotan is sometimes okay and others not; Viz Sin Lubi is a great song by NarcoTango but the rest of the album grates and bores. I could go on.....
    'Narigon' by

15. bordertangoman

I hadn't noticed..
    (but I went back for another look!)

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The shoes have a lot to do with it.

17. bordertangoman

I have this theory that if you could just harness the energy that is created when women wiggle their hips then the problem of global warming could be solved........

18. Peaches

I've got a similar theory, but it involves the insane energy of small children.

Can't we put them in a human hamster ball or something and get some benefit from it?

19. bordertangoman

Sounds a great idea; I thought attach a harness to women's hips with a couple of transducers and a battery.......

20. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I also enjoyed it. Loved the music.

I have a question though, isn't she wiggling her bottom a bit too much for AT?