Tango Argentino > A poor excuse for Argentine Tango... I am Disgusted with Dancing with the Stars

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Me, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Darnit!!!

I keep forgetting to take a look at the video when I'm at home. Now I'm really curious.

Without having seen the video, Shooshoo, I can say that there are various styles of AT. Some styles, and some teachers, use a lot of spine flexing and hip movement. I had a lesson with a teacher who asked for a lot of that, and his wife dances a very...interesting...At. Don't get me wrong, she's a beautiful woman, a very musical dancer, a fabulous follower (from what I've heard)--she just has a very interesting style of dancing. I don't like it, but everyone's different. So...my point is...without having seen it...not necessarily. If it's working for her and her partner, it's not wrong.

2. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

She looks very nice, no doubt about that.
    It's just that I have this impression that AT moves should be more sharp, but if there are different styles.

3. Peaches

Sweeeeet, good for you! I hope you become and addict just like the rest of us!

As for the sharp moves bit (and, again, I haven't seen the video, so I'm speaking in theory--and, again, I'm a 1.5 year beginner)--it depends on the music. At least to me. If the music is very stacatto and forceful, i dance sharp. But when the music is soft and flowing, or mood-y, then I dance softly. Or...I make my best effort to. It also depends on the leader--if the leader is dancing sharp, i match that.

Take a look at some of the videos. They're not all sharp movements. A lot of it is very soft.

Also, i don't much like the term "sharp" to describe the movement. Even when things are stacatto, I still like to see fluidity and continuity in the movements. Otherwise, things can start to look...jerky.

Just my humble $0.02.

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Music

The point is-- ALL music to ALL dances, should be interpreted by and for ,their content .A large responsibilty , for the male in the partnership, and takes many yrs of experience to become a dance "chamelion ", changing shades, from light to dark , as you weave your way thru all the musical nuances .

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, never saw that before (in my extensive AT experience:rolleyes:)

but certainly looks good on her. <g>

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I think I was dancing with someone who moved a little like that but couldN'T Ssee what she looked like. It was a milonga and in close embrace and vertical contact rather than apilado; I could fell her hips drop with each step. It was as if her wiggle allowed a longer step to be acheived.

I remember her when she was just an improver.......

It is certainly an intersting style and I have seen it done by other performers as well as the divine Miss W.

7. Me

Me New Member

I've noticed that there is this new-ish stylistic choice for women to poke their bottoms out and lift and drop the hip rather dramatically (the junk in da trunk wiggle). I don't care for it all that much, but I'm sure the guys approve. :p It seems synonymous with that younger crowd that leans toward nuevo and wears layers of drabness, bowling shoes, etc. I guess I should be dancing with them, but give me an old man with a belly any day. Bliss! :eek:

I'm glad that video of Chicho from CITA 06 was posted. I've seen him dance before, but THAT partner, right there... well they seem to be made for each other.

8. Peaches

OK. I finally got around to watching this.

Yeah, she wiggles a bit. Not overmuch, though. The shoes have something to do with it, and the pants show the wiggling more than a skirt or dress might. Also, it's a rather modern style (appropriate, as it's very modern music) that they're dancing (open embrace, some alternate embraces, he does the odd lead hand over head thing) so it fits.

As to the sharpness, it actually was a very nice combination of sharpness and fluidity. Her movements were very crisp and clean and confident, but everything was completely seamless.

A beautiful clip. Thanks, BTM!

9. Peaches

Here is a link to the couple I'm talking about.

He's a wonderful leader. She's a great dancer. I just don't care for parts of how she dances--the use of her hips and the way she seems to "crouch" when she walks forward. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer to see the walk come from the hips more.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8QyE9D_3ezQ&feature=PlayList&p=75EFBE155A078776&index=7

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

beautiful shoulder blades...........

11. tangotime

buid

To put it delicately-- its the way she is "built ", thats seems to project that image .

12. Peaches

Actually, having seen her dance plenty, in person...no, it's not.

She's actually incredibly tiny, which doesn't come across so much in the video. She uses A LOT of hip action. Her build might exacerbate the look of it, but the movement is there to begin with. A lot of time she will use hip movement as an embellisment, in and of itself.

13. Me

Me New Member

Me, personally? I don't like that style of dancing. I'm pretty sure it is a deliberate style choice, though I've never been to a workshop or class where I've been told to do it.. Recently I've seen clips of several pros dancing with this style. To me it looks like their backs are swayed and their shoulders too high. I was trying to figure it out one day - my coach said perhaps these women were riding 'too high' on their partner in close embrace, which could cause the shoulders to go up and the bottom to poke out. But, that would be a mistake and how it could be fixed... we agreed it seems a style that many have adopted, we just can't figure out why.

14. Peaches

I've taken a lesson with him. Most of the lesson had to do with using my hips and back more--loosening them up and making them more fluid. Letting the end of a movement flow into the hips before coming back out of it. Stuff that my first AT teacher nipped in the butt really freakin' fast when I started. It was very very interesting. So...given that he taught her...that's probably where it's coming from in this case.

Oh. And about the shoulders thing. When I usually dance AT I think of the connection as coming from my back, through my chest at a point slightly below where the ribcage joins. I don't ever think about the guys hand on my back. In the lesson, he was really big on having my shoulderblades back and down, and "sitting" into his right arm. It made for a very upright kind of feel to it--vaguely ballroom-ish. It was interesting to get used to. Maybe that's the root of the shoulders up thing...

I'd seen her dance (and, again, she is a truly beautiful and gifted dancer), and seen the hips thing, and the shapely booty thing. Fine and good. So I was so unbelievably shocked when i met her--not in dance shoes--and saw how not curvy she realy is. Still gorgeous, but not the way she looks while dancing.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, she is lovely.

god, i luv this stuff. it always blows my mind that they're doing lead & follow...

16. tangotime

pchs

You said the magic words -- s.b., -- thats what I meant .

17. Peaches

What's really amazing is when you're dancing with an incredible leader, and when you're done you'd swear, up one side and down the other, that there was no lead and follow. It's an amazing feeling of never actually feeling a lead, but just finding yourself somewhere, without any thought to it, and finding him right there with you. It is truly mind-blowing.

I've run across only 2 leaders like that--both of whom I was taking a lesson from. One was an Argentine guy, currently living in Paris, and visiting the US (Rodrigo Rufino--if you ever have the chance, do whatever it takes to have a lesson with him and his partner, Giselle Passi). The guy in the video, Murat, was the other one. (Although the feeling with Murat came and went--it wasn't as seamless as Rodrigo's.)

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that sounds so cool. talk about a dancer's high, huh?

19. noobster

noobster Member

I am going to have to learn this dance. It's not going to happen right now, but maybe sometime in the next year or two. I just have to.

20. Me

Me New Member

Everytime I see you post I want to tell you, I LOVE YOUR SCREENNAME. :mrgreen:

There are a lot of good AT instructors in NYC, should you ever decide to come over to the dark side. :cool: