Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Thanks all! I was just concerned that it'd come off as overly studious, more focused on writing things down than on the actions in the lesson itself.

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Teachers usually like studious...it means you're taking it seriously. Just make sure you're not *just* writing!

Angel HI likes this.
  3. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Update: I've been recovering from pneumonia, so I haven't social danced in a three or so weeks. My doctor gave me a clean bill of health as far infectiousness goes, but I got pretty winded last night in two classes, and I had a private (re)scheduled with the visiting teacher who saw how drained I looked and graciously said we could reconnect the next time she's in town.

4. twnkltoz

Sorry you've been sick! Hurry up and get better.

leee likes this.
  5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Starting to get back to where I was in terms of stamina! The DJ played generally slower songs so I wasn't able to test myself, but I was able to dance my normal percentage of songs before my knees started to ache. (Heh, it's always something.) The most tiring thing last night was actually the solo jazz class! Probably because there's so much more drilling involved, and that it was the second class I took.

A couple areas I realized that I can improve on, technique-wise. First, I found out that I can be more conscious of the follower's momentum when redirecting -- sadly, this is completely new to me! Second, I need to figure out how to fix my swingouts when the distance between me and the follow gets too large.

twnkltoz likes this.
  6. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Hah, this is how long I might need to start getting a handle on improving technique. I've been inconsistent with the swingout technique I mentioned back in late June, but just last night I realized an even easier and concrete way to avoid the circular swingout: move to where the follower was just a moment ago! Figuring out things on my own -- hoping this is my first step out of Intermediate Hell!

In fits and starts, I'm also noticing some slight improvements just in normal social dancing, which FOLLOWING has helped with! Namely, the idea that followers enjoy dances where they have a clear lead, not necessarily a fancy lead with a bottomless bag of tricks but that aren't led clearly. So now, I'm less worried about impressing my partner with what I know, which led to the best dance I've had with someone whom I admire a lot but with whom I've had anxious dances because I aimed for impressing her. In other words, it tain't what you do but the way how you do it.

twnkltoz and Siggav like this.
  7. twnkltoz

So true! I got out for some Lindy Hop on Tuesday for the first time in weeks and had so much fun.

leee likes this.
  8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Sigh. I had an awesome dance where I would throw out an idea for my partner to play with, and she would throw out an idea that I would try to play with -- great dance, great partner, lot of fun. But afterwards, I realized that I didn't have that magical full-body thrill that I've gotten from similar dances in the past. Is this just something that happens over the course of a swing journey?

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

There always seems to be something special about the first time. And, there's this somewhat unfortunate thing where we react less and less to the same stimulus as we are exposed to it repeatedly.
    I was instantly reminded of the BB King version of "The Thrill Is Gone."

leee likes this.
  10. leee

leee Well-Known Member

So I should stop trying to have good dances so often so that when I accidentally have them again they'll hold their specialness haahaa.

11. Steve Pastor

Trying to dance your best is always a good idea. For me at least, I try not to expect that I'm going to have a really great dance whenever I step on the floor. One reason I sit out so much now a days is that I'm not too interested in having mediocre dances. And there are some songs I dance to where it's an almost sure bet that I'll be disappointed when the person I'm with doesn't get what I'm trying to do. That's because I know the music so well among a couple of other reasons.

Then there are those fantastic dances where it all seems to come out, and fits with your partner. I remember in particular one dance I had at the swing venue before I got busy with another activity. I'd be fooling myself big time if I expected something like that to happen a whole lotta times.

There is something to be said for pacing yourself. In the AT section people recently wrote about getting burned out by doing too much too frequently. But, that's something that seems to happen with experience rather than as a result of taking advice from someone (unless you are climbing a mountain for instance).

jwn57030 likes this.
  12. jwn57030

jwn57030 New Member

I completely understand this. I used to love dancing on the beginner night for quite a while even as I was getting better. Now I've gotten to the point where I tend to find it boring because there not a lot of follows there that can keep up or challenge me. Once a night I do usually find someone who can challenge me or is just a lot of fun, but most of the time I feel pretty neutral. I think the thrill is still there. You just have to work a lot harder to find it.

13. leee

leee Well-Known Member

14. jwn57030

jwn57030 New Member

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

15. leee

leee Well-Known Member

The scene: my favorite swing song playing, dancing with an amazing follow -- and still that old thrill is gone. :\

16. twnkltoz

Awww....sorry. Sometimes we hit plateaus and dance seems to lose its luster. Keep working at it and learning, and you'll find your excitement again.

17. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the plan, though of course the motivation is harder to stoke. There were a lot of great follows whom I hadn't seen at the venue before, and I realized it's because of the lindy exchange going on this weekend (well it starts tonight), which I will not be going to because I kinda want a break (I'm doing a performance class now AND have a workshop weekend in November)!

18. Siggav

Siggav Active Member

Im trying to fight of a bit of a cold before ELX this weekend (Edinburgh lindy exchange) really looking forward to it. Although I've been pretty busy these last few weeks and not danced much lindy (bit more blues) but bring it on now. Should be a cracking weekend

I think in terms of the dance buzz, chasing after it too much makes it slip away. You do get extra brilliant dances occasionally but sometimes it just doesn't quite click, however you should still be able to have very nice dances and fun nights out. Putting too much pressure on of like, oh Im dancing with an amazing partner and the music is good so this must be awesome, can be really counter productive

Ive had bits of that kind of thing occasionally myself, but I try to not take it too seriously.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    twnkltoz and leee like this.
  19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the check, @Siggav! Great advice. In fact, your post makes me reconsider going to my LX -- have fun at yours!

I've been dwelling on the negatives, but here's a positive: I've finally got my wind back from my bout with pneumonia. Fast dances, consecutive dances, the only limitation was the number of available follows.

20. Steve Pastor

Well, THAT's good news.