Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Siggav makes a good point. Maybe you were on an uphill climb for a while with all the excitement that comes with learning, and now you've slowed down a little bit but have the same expectations. I'm going through that with running, in a way. I keep getting faster and going further, and it's awesome, and then I'll have a bad day. My coach keeps reminding me I can't set a PR every time I run. There will be ups and downs, so set your expectations accordingly. Just go out and enjoy your dance.

leee likes this.
  2. bookish

bookish Active Member

The novelty can wear thin. That's probably why a lot of people get hooked on events - live bands, new people or people you don't see often, pro workshops, etc. Personally, I took a fairly deliberate break this summer and am trying to take things easy. I kind of felt like my interest and skills were both plateauing as well, and I can't afford lots of events or privates right now. Actually I'm skipping multiple events I would have gone to in previous years. I do notice myself chatting more at socials than I used to.

On the other hand, I've been getting back to watching more videos recently, and I have a few move ideas I'm trying out.

3. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Last night got some good swingout refinements from, among others, the illustrious Carla H.! (First thing you learn, last thing you master, indeed.) My biggest takeaway was getting some forward momentum going on the 2 to make getting into the face-to-face position on the 4 easier, especially if follows have taken the 1-2 to swivel (which for them actually starts as early as the (previous) 6!). Still trying to get the angled rock step on the 1 into muscle memory, and also trying to relaxing my left arm (still!) through the majority of the swingout. I've definitely developed ~opinions~ about the regulars and their swingouts lately.

Siggav and twnkltoz like this.
  4. twnkltoz

I haven't been social dancing much lately but I got out last night and had a great time. Lots of balboa, my favorite. Felt good and the music was awesome!

leee likes this.
  5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Took my first (well, second) ever Bal class last night. I didn't get too flustered, because I kind of expected to be rough around the edges with a new style, and hopefully working on a new dance will help me with my current swing ennui.

twnkltoz likes this.
  6. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

I taught my first set of lindy classes this week! It was a lot of fun actually. Exhausting but fun and I think the students had fun. I was helped by my teaching partner being a good friend and a brilliant dancer and I think we managed to balance things pretty well.

Still I was completely exhausted at the end of it, we were teaching charleston for the beginners lesson and then hand to hand charleston with variations in the intermediate one so basically hopping for 2 hours while being "on" and teaching is hard work.

Really glad I have the chance to do this though.

twnkltoz, Steve Pastor and leee like this.
  7. twnkltoz

Congrats! Teaching can be a lot of fun and very fulfilling, but it is definitely exhausting.

8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I had more fun last night than I've had in a while. The secret? I followed a majority of the dances! That said, I didn't handle one exchange with a lead who said something along the lines of, "Huh, I thought they'd have taught you 6-count before," during one of our dances in which the transitions between 6- and 8-count were ~adventurous~. And after the song was over, he brought it up again, and I could've phrased my response more nicely than what I actually said: "Then lead it next time." I did flash my winning smile, which perhaps -- nay, surely! -- softened the blow.

twnkltoz likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

Oh, so charming when the leader blames the follower. Sometimes it's hard to catch the transition, especially if their lead is less than clear.

leee likes this.
  10. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I just had a wonderful lesson with Carla H., and if anyone ever has the chance, I'd recommend scheduling something with her because her teaching is the closest thing to a silver bullet to fix your dancing, not to mention that she's a tremendous teacher. A lot of simple things (we pretty much just worked on my swingouts and circles!), and reinforcing other things (body lines).

She also articulated a very interesting philosophy about a dancer's journey: that contrary to the maxim that you don't need a broad repertoire of moves, learning new patterns can maintain interest, especially when you're dealing with burn-out and plateaus. Of course, how you lead something is no less important than what you lead (and probably more important in certain contexts), but sometimes I take that idea a little too much to heart.

twnkltoz and Siggav like this.
  11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Performed with the performance class I was in last night (and will again tonight), and the main troupe asked me to join them. : )

12. twnkltoz

Cool! Congrats!

leee likes this.
  13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So, does that mean you learned those aerials after all?

14. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Hah, not really, the only aerial learning I did was that class however many months ago, and the performance class didn't have anything beyond a dip.

15. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I'm going to compete in my first J&J in the next few weeks :eek: -- any quick pointers? Considering how many other dancers are so much better than me in our scene, my immediate goal is to have fun, and my secondary goal is to get out of the prelims.

16. twnkltoz

Focus on partnering and timing rather than showing off your fanciest moves.

leee likes this.
  17. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Hah! Good tip, I've been going through the moves I know in my head in preparation for this, so it's nice for someone to tell me to take a step back. I also suspect that I need to do the same in my social dancing lately! Anyway, I just found out who won the first prelim, and wow -- let's just say that my only realistic goal left is having fun.

For all of my recent angsting, I have to say that I've come quite a way from where I was even ~5 months ago, just from a social-dancing confidence level. I'm still too intimidated about asking certain people to dance, but they tend to be high-level dancers or teachers or the same people that I've been in awe of when I started.

twnkltoz likes this.
  18. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what a pro recommended for leader's first WCS J&J. Develop a simple pattern in your head so that you have something to fall back on if you are not feeling inspired. Put basics in it so everybody has a chance to recover connection, etc. Remember, you might be leading people on their first J&J as well. He also said that judges much prefer good clean basic steps showing good connection and timing over fancy stuff executed so-so.

twnkltoz and leee like this.
  19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. At the very least I have something to tell my competitors: "Judges love flash! And you don't have much time, so bring out your fanciest moves right away!"

20. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Sitting at home now tired after a really good dance weekend, great to get a reminder of just how much I love lindy hop. Lots of stuff to work on now, so I'm feeling very fortunate to have a practice partner. I highly recommend that if possible for people.

But yay! :D

As for Jack and Jills, I would just focus on trying to have fun and connect with your partner. It's usually more fun dancing in jack and jill prelims than it is watching them

leee likes this.