Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. leee

leee Well-Known Member

6 count has been revelatory in that it's liberated me from certain hang-ups, but I also think that the improved gender balance has been a great boon as well. That said, I've nearly decapitated three different partners trying to do that one ECS move where we alternate touching the ball of each other's shoulder, except instead of traveling in a circle, my partners keep going straight in a line and into our connected arms. Think I'll make a note to stow that pattern for a while.

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Maybe your hand is too high?

leee likes this.
  3. bookish

bookish Active Member

I've read somewhere that the hand on the shoulder was originally meant as a teaching tool to get the alignment right, not as part of the move. Not sure if that's true. In any case, Lindy followers probably won't know or do the shoulder tap thing unless they've done ECS too. IMO the connection/lead should all be through the other side, the joined right arms. If there's no compression there, they'll probably, best case, roll into a hammerlock-cuddle type position.

4. leee

leee Well-Known Member

How was your Lindy night??

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Yeah, combination of hand too high and initiating it after a waist roll without enough tone in my connected arm.

And can I point out I think it's awfully AWWWWWW that they call it a cuddle position? I learned it as a sweetheart position, though come to think of it, that's equally AWWWW.

I think I really am making progress as far as comfort level here; when I was at the receiving end of breached etiquette, it wasn't a blow to the ego that it might've been for me a few years ago.

6. twnkltoz

It was pretty good. I got some really good dances in, and my balboa is coming along. It's nice being friends with the better dancers there, because they're taking it upon themselves to bring me up to snuff! :)

7. twnkltoz

I led a little bit in balboa class last night. The two ladies I danced with were thrilled not to be sitting out for that rotation and quite patient while I "reverse engineered" the leads. I got it all figured out pretty close...needs some refinement, of course, but we got through the steps! It was fun. I'm really enjoying this dance.

No lindy hop for me tonight...they're having a band which never thrills me (for a variety of reasons), so I'm headed to WCS.

8. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

I did a balboa workshop last weekend and it was super fun. I danced with the travelling instructor teacher during the social the evening before and while I had a bit of an extra adrenaline spike during it, it went well and was really fun too. I've got much more confidence for lindy and blues than balboa but it's all coming along. I've been dancing less than a year in total so need to remind myself to give myself a break now and again.

Really enjoying reading along in this thread btw, carry on posting! :D

leee likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

Hey, if you've been at it less than a year and you can go out and have a good time, you're ahead of the game. It takes a long time to get good at this stuff, so be patient and enjoy the ride.

10. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Nice! I actually considered following in a previous class when men outnumbered the women nearly two to one! Thought better of it, as my teachers have informed me that I'm a heavy follow. :D

11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Siggav! That means quite a bit coming from someone whose posts are so enlightening.

12. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I got smiles last night! :D

I think the key was to relax, and not actively trying to impress.

Siggav likes this.
  13. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Not much to report this week (I have what seems like an intractable school project to figure out): not a lot of people at the class (picked up a new move even if the class itself was basic as get out), and the floor eventually filled up by the time of the party. Left around my usual time, which is to say early, and someone saw me on the way out and jokingly gave me a hard time about it, so of course it felt nice to be wanted/missed!

14. Eileen Obser

Eileen Obser New Member

I'm a new member of Dance Forums and found you while trying to decide to capitalize lindy or not in my memoir, Only You, set in the late 1950s, which is coming out this fall from Oak Tree Press. The book is filled with rock and roll and the lindy and other dances of the time, including mambo, merengue, cha cha, the fish, fox trot. I could dance them all and won contests, too. In the 1970s I studied Mideastern dancing, danced professionally and taught for five years. That part of my life is in another book! I know why Lindy hop is capitalized, but we never called it Lindy hop; it was just the lindy. Advice from anyone who may also be a writer like me? Cap it or not is the question.

15. Eileen Obser

Eileen Obser New Member

Thank you, leee, for starting this Lindy diary. And I do see now that you capitalize. Not everyone does, as you know. My editor knows it as capped, but I see both versions in everything I'm researching. It's probably okay, either way.

16. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Welcome! I certainly didn't expect such a question to be posed, but as a one-time copyeditor, I would say that there's no single right answer with regard to capitalizing lindy/Lindy/Lindy Hop. If the publisher has a style guide, see what it says about the names of genres -- i.e., would you capitalize jazz or classical music? Anyway, just pick one method of capitalization and stick with it (though of course the only time that variation is should be allowed is if you're citing direct sources which use a different style). Thanks for letting my inner grammarian to come out again!

17. bookish

bookish Active Member

Lindy is generally capitalized as a proper noun, not just as the name of a dance. Supposedly it's a contraction of (Charles) Lindbergh's name, although I don't think that's 100% confirmed to be non-apocryphal. Whether to capitalize "hop" is more of an open question. I usually write Lindy hop. (The same issue affects West Coast Swing/West Cost swing.)

18. leee

leee Well-Known Member

You know, these very points (being ostensibly named for Lindbergh, and the possibly apocryphal aspect of its etymology) came to me as I was going to bed the night I posted!

19. twnkltoz

I had a great couple of LH dances...one on Sunday and one on Tuesday. The lightbulb seems to have come on for balboa and I'm able to follow a lot of stuff I've never done before, so that's really fun. I also got to do a charleston with a guy who's a very clear lead, and that was really fun. I'm meeting a lot of really nice people. I think this is the nicest crowd of my various disciplines.

Siggav and leee like this.
  20. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Im going to a big social with live music tomorrow. I have a non dancing friend staying with me on holiday for a bit so she'll be coming with me. Im curious to see what she'll think of it. I wouldn't drag her with me to a normal social but since there's a pretty good band playing and she enjoys jazz I figured it was worth a shot and it means I don't have to go a full week without dancing :p