Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ralf

ralf Active Member

Glad you had fun, Siggav. I just did the Cleveland Lindy Exchange [photos: ralf.zenfolio.com dance cleveland_lx_2013] this past weekend, which (as brought up in the "I've just learned how to blues dance" thread) had both Blues and Lindy rooms for both late-nights. Saturday late-night at a bowling alley and Sunday afternoon outdoors; at least this year the weather cooperated, though last year did yield photos of some hardcore dancing in the *hail*.

My capsule review is the same as usual: "I'm tired. I'm sore. When can I do it again?"

juwest333 and twnkltoz like this.
  2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I so rarely go to dance conventions of any kind, but I really need to experience a lindy exchange!

juwest333 likes this.
  3. ralf

ralf Active Member

You just missed San Francisco's, which was the weekend before last....

4. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Me, earlier this week: Oh, there's a big Lindy shindig coming up! I wonder if I should g... oh.

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

That is SO COOL! You make me want to be like that, tbh.

6. leee

leee Well-Known Member

7. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

This is such a broad subject. I'm assuming you are looking for a Lindy Hop Instructor? What are you goals in this dance? What kind of style do you prefer? Is there some aspect of your dancing in particular that you are working on? All of these things are major factors in choosing an instructor. Do these instructors have sample vids on youtube or anything like that?

8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

As I'm still getting my feet wet in Lindy, I'm looking primarily to bolster my fundamentals and to broaden my repertoire to get more out of the group classes. Also, improving musicality, especially on breaks and any break steps. Is that still on the broad side?

9. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Your best bet would be to talk to the advance dancers at your local scene and ask them who you should take lessons from. As far as musicality is concerned..whew...that's another broad area. lol But definitely talk to the advanced dancers and they should be able to point you in the right direction. :)

10. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

One advice for musicality is listen to a lot of swing music. Once you're more familiar with the music and how it's usually structured you'll be able to "hear" the breaks coming, sure you'll misfire sometimes but it works pretty well.

You can ask your local dancers/swing DJs and teachers for advice on playlists etc. I'm in the UK so we use Spotify a lot and that's really helpful.

As for the private lessons, talk to your advanced dancers and get an idea. It can be really good having a single private with a really good international teacher (international teacher being someone who teaches in multiple countries, i.e. scenes will pay them to travel over to teach) but then finding someone more local for more regular privates if that's what you're wanting to do.

In lindy seeing multiple people for privates and having privates just now and then on an irregular schedule is very common.

leee likes this.
  11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Had one of the best times I've ever had at a social last night, in which I learned a couple of lessons.

First, don't be afraid to ask the more advanced dancers, because if they're any good, they'll find the awesome in the dance with you.

Second, one partner in particular drew more sass out of me than I thought was possible, and I go on in length here: http://tybe.tumblr.com/post/63198040762/swing-high

juwest333, twnkltoz and Siggav like this.
  12. ralf

ralf Active Member

Yep, if you can't have fun dancing with (almost*) anyone, you need to up your game.

* I once had a follower who was solo-dancing while holding my hand....

Mmmm.... Love dances like that.

leee likes this.
  13. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Didn't reach transcendent bliss last night, but still had loads of fun, the secret being to dance as much and sit out as little as possible. I'm blessing you all with that little nugget of wisdom, gleaned from months of experience, for free!

twnkltoz likes this.
  14. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Had fun at a big Do last week, though I got to wondering how I could tell if I'm being That One Guy Who's Out of Control and Kicking Up A Storm With an Inordinately Large Dance Radius to the Detriment of Other Couples, particularly BEFORE I get dirty looks from other dancers.

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Hmm...definitely don't want to be that guy!

I have tonight off for once so I can take a dance class or anything I want just for me. Trying to decide...maybe Charleston at 6 followed by intermediate lindy and beginning balboa (which I've had but if there aren't enough leaders I'll lead and that's always helpful)...or maybe something else like ballet or belly.

16. leee

leee Well-Known Member

After analyzing myself in graphical form:
    [​IMG]
    ... I think that my wildness comes about because of fatigue, and that it's not an endemic issue!

Terpsichorean Clod and juwest333 like this.
  17. ralf

ralf Active Member

I can relate.... That's quite likely why blues is popular at exchange late-nights. Speaking of which:
    Yinz are all invited to PittStop next weekend!

18. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

I'll be there. I can't wait!!! :)

19. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

I just finished a really great small and local workshop weekend and am about to head out for some blues dancing to a live band as a cool down so to speak.

Had a really great time and feel like I'm getting better as a dancer now, I know I'll hit a plateau soon because that's just how things work but enjoying the sense of progress for now

leee and twnkltoz like this.
  20. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Throwing a song ID out for yall: sung by a woman, with a voice that belts out of her diaphragm, she rhymes "Hallelujah" with "so(?) peculiar."