Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. bookish

bookish Active Member

(I had originally thought of another gospel/swing song, "Shout, Sister, Shout," but that one doesn't have "peculiar" in it. Great song, though.)

leee likes this.
  2. leee

leee Well-Known Member

bookish, this is exactly the song! Thanks!

3. leee

leee Well-Known Member

By the by, out of curiosity I listened to "Shout, Sister, Shout" and that's actually another one that gets played regularly in my parts. Thing is, though, I always mis-hear the song, and for the longest time I thought they were singing, "Shout, twist and shout."

4. bookish

bookish Active Member

It's a great song. Even though it's perhaps more toward gospel than big band, it swings really hard.

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

After a break, I went ballrooming again and was surprised at how much more attention I paid to the music (not to say that I successfully did anything with it...). Lindy is the obvious culprit, but it's because of the cultural emphasis placed on musicality -- and not, say, the magical properties of learning how to swing out, right?

6. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Yep I think it's the cultural emphasis on musicality, that really makes a difference. You'll probably find it much harder to dance through breaks or watching dancing where very little attention is being paid to the music itself (beyond just the very basic timing) going forward :D

7. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I've stopped posting to this thread, but I haven't stopped swinging (saving for bouts of illnesses, of which I've had a regrettable number this season). Just wanted to reiterate the awesomeness of dancing with awesome dancers, had another nigh-transcendent experience (this in spite of feeling quite unwell).

8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just because all the pretty girls came out at the same time, but I had a blast last night.

Terpsichorean Clod and twnkltoz like this.
  9. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

LOL at least you're honest. Glad you had a good night!

leee likes this.
  10. leee

leee Well-Known Member

And just to show you all where my mind is/was, I've had the Shim Sham song stuck in my head all day today.

11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Though for those whose minds rarely stray from the gutter, "It's not what you do / It's the way how'cha do it" may be fodder for puerile entertainment.

twnkltoz likes this.
  12. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I just finished a weekend-long workshop, and boy are my legs tired! *rimshot* #tapsmic #isthisthingon

13. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I need to get to a lindy exchange!

14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yup. It's on.

leee likes this.
  15. Siggav

I just finished a weekend workshop as well, I think the official term is "swungover" i.e otherwise known as the after effects of binge dancing.

I had a mini breakthrough in the swing-out footwork when leading (managing to keep the footwork properly in rhythm instead of fudging) which was great, the classes were awesome as well but that 2 hour solo jazz class in the middle just about finished me off. Jump Charleston is a cool move to know and be able to do but my thighs are hurting now.

Next workshop weekend is a blues on in Dublin in 3 weeks, looking forward to that too.

Terpsichorean Clod and leee like this.
  16. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Swungover is apt. Incorporating it into my lexicon.

Nice! I learned some new patterns and variations (always nice) and some useful mechanical tips (bring the knee higher on the hitch of a Charleston double-kick to really drive back), but what's really going to stick with me are some of the philosophical mindsets and expressions (RELAX). And actually, one class in particular has me questioning where I as a swing dancer want to go .

I'm guessing that's Dublin, Ireland? (There's a Dublin in the greater metro area of where I live...) There's another solo jazz workshop in a couple/few weeks that I have my eye on, I'd like to go if I can shrug off some other commitments.

17. Steve Pastor

Blog/web site with that name. You might find some interesting stuff there.

18. Siggav

Haha yes, Dublin in Ireland. Im based in the UK so much easier to stay this side of the pond.

And yeah Bobby White's swungover blog is really fun and informative.

19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

So, a very up-and-down night last night. This was my first time in an advanced class, and the focus this month involved blindfolding the follows (the leads as well, but tonight it was mostly the follows). The exercise that really frustrated me was as simple (I guess it's not that simple!) as leading rock steps, and for me, the biggest challenge getting the following to rock back (me rocking forward). Just when you feel like you're getting a handle on things, BOOM! Rude awakening. Any ideas? (Kind of a nebulous question, I suspect, but can't hurt soliciting DF.)

Add to that the following class being my good old nemesis: solo jazz! Humbling two hours, all told.

But then, the dance afterwards was fun, not the least reason for which was because I accidentally danced with C4r14 H31n3y. (If I'd known it was her before asking her, I would not have asked her to a dance.) (In retrospect, I probably could've avoided telling her that.) Usually when I dance with people of a certain renown, or people whom I want to impress (teachers, usually), I tense up and all hell breaks loose (my timing, anyway), but with her, I didn't have that particular issue! Or else I covered it up by doing some solo Charleston ("solo Charleston") with her!

20. Steve Pastor

You are being taught to lead with your body, right?
    Were you "open" when you were trying to lead the rock step, or "closed" ?
    When did it fall apart?
    "Leading" a rock step, rather than having it happen by default, is actually fairly tricky. I think that's true no matter the dance. So don't beat yourself up too much.

Sometimes, it only takes a little bit of input from your partner to make a difference in your dance. People who a really good are probably really good at subtly influencing what their partner is doing.

Gotta tell you. Doesn't matter what dance or venue it is, it's very very rare for me to ask a "teacher"or someone of high repute to dance. And I don't think I ever am out to impress anyone. Course that's just me.

leee likes this.