General Dance Discussion > A workshop "Partner dance for Dummies" - looking for a better workshop title

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sagitta, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

You know how they have those books like wine 101 for dummies, cooking for dummies, etc? I am planning to teach a 1 hour workshop where I introduce partner dance at the place I work. The idea is to show a few partner dance basics to get people who have no clue how to get out on the dance floor.

My thoughts are to show the idea of stepping to the music/1-2.1-2, a couple ways how you pay attention to your partner and move accordingly and then put on some merengue, some pop music etc and help them see how the same ideas can be applied to a variety of music and one can have fun doing so.

Now I am looking for a better title than "Partner Dance for Dummies" Any suggestions? I am planning on doing enough so that even people who have taken a couple partner dance lessons will find it useful, hence my reluctance over my current title. Might frighten those people away? What do you think?

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Perhaps

Embrace in motion..
    Embrace and motion..
    Embracing for Dummies.. ?

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps "Understanding Partner Dance"

Bailamosdance likes this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Partner Dance Basics?

Loki likes this.
  5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

bobbing cram/crash course

6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Connection: Causes and Consequences

7. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Well since you're targeting people that have some lessons too:
    "So you think you can dance? - intro to partnered dance. Or
    Foundations of partner dance , Basics of partner dance?
    I sort of like your "dummies" idea. People will recognize the reference and
    read on. How is this going to be advertized ? An attractive image on a flyer helps.
    PS Ive proposed two courses to my local senior center will send to you.

danceronice likes this.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yeah, setting aside the remote chance that the owners of that trademark ("....For Dummies", likewise "The Complete Idiot's Guide To...") would sue you, I really think if you're marketing to people who have only some very basic/introductory knowledge that "Partner Dance Basics", "Partner Dance for Dummies", or even "Making Partner Dance Fun", etc. are not bad. You do not want to overcomplicate it or accidentally make it sound less foundational than it is. (Definitely would never advise using "Embrace" unless you're teaching only Argentine Tango or you'd get the wrong clientele and scare off the people you're looking for!) As yet another trademarked help guide puts it, K.I.S.S.

9. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

"Partner Dance for Imbeciles"

nikkitta likes this.
  10. tancos

tancos Active Member

We had a similar event for experienced non-partner dancers and called the workshop "It takes two".

11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, just a play on words. lol.
    Two left feet partner dancing basics.? Something lighthearted?

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the abc's of dance for newcomers

you can do it; from couch to dance floor in a few simple steps

opendoor likes this.