Tango Argentino > Abrazo - The Embrace

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Well to put the cat among the pigeons what do you do?

Close
    Open
    V
    Elastic
    offset
    square
    VU

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Any and all. Whatever it takes to make the dance comfortable and to make it work.

My preference is for parallel/straight-on with weight sharing, close embrace V, or fully open (if I'm going to be doing Nuevo stuff) to most other things. Unfortunately, those embraces are pretty rare around these parts.

3. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yes. :D

4. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

And to put the cat in amongst your pigeons . . what do you do?

My embrace is square (inline) and apilado so by definition
    is close, but you knew that already!

By the way, what is the point of this?

5. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I only do one style, and I call it apilado.

6. bastet

bastet Active Member

My preferences run along with Peaches.

Here's a quick description list of the way I have learned some different embrace types:

Parallel (boob on boob) with weight (rib cage) presented forward in to partner: I've had lessons in this with several teachers since it is my main preference. The actual weight portion is partial "illusion" as it is the ribcage that is making contact, not the lower portion of the body.

Parallel and upright: (seems to be popular in the upper northwest US). The teachers I get these lessons from always tell me to bring my ribs back since they don't like any weight towards the partner and I have to remind myself to do that since my tendency is for the above one, not this one.

Open: Upright weight placement.

V- The way I was taught slight V embraces is with the upper body only turning slightly towards the partner, hips remain parallel, resistance coming through the shoulder joint.

VU- ??? Don't really know. I did take lessons for a while from Jennifer and Ney some years ago, who seem to be proponents of this style. They taught me a parallel, slightly offset (boob, boob, boob, boob line up) of the upper torso. No weight sharing.

7. bordertangoman

I dunno. Its a pretty philosophical question What is the point of anything. We're all going to die anyway.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

See, I have slightly different definitions (although it could just be a matter of terminology).

Parallel shoulders--weight always up and forward, but can be either "on my own axis" or "sharing weight". I have never seen differentiation between bring ribcage forward or back. I've always danced/been taught to be forward, "into" my partner, shared weight or not has always just been a matter of how much I lean from the ankles.

Same as you for open.

With V embrace, I don't feel the majority of "resistance" through my left shoulder. If anything, it's just more pressure along the left side of my body (left boob) than through the right. Er...physical endowments ensure that no matter what I've still got both boobs in contact. I have heard it called Salon style before.

Ditto wrt VU. No real clue. It seems like it's a label applied to Salon style.

9. bordertangoman

my impression of VU is that its close until more circular figures are danced and then the embrace opens up. Nayla dances in a slightly open V, ( Which feels very comfortable)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HRaJiyyzEI

10. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Answers please - Dead or Alive!

I don't do philosophy, only reality.

So somehow it's the doing something while we are living that
    seems to have some significance. But meanwhile you asked
    the question and I'm alive enough to ask for your reasoned answer,
    before you or me are actually dead would be a good idea! ;)

11. bordertangoman

cos Pygmalion asked for it....:tongue:

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that is true, although they really don't share as much weight when close in VU, like they do in apilado embrace or milonguero style.

13. dchester

To some songs (and some followers), I'll stay in a close embrace (apilado / milonguero), but with other songs I'll flex back and forth as needed.

I guess my ultimate goal is to find that elusive "fusion" of close embrace, VU, and some nuevo moves as well, depending on the song. I'm a long way from getting there, though.

14. dchester

I think it's to talk about Argentine tango. A lot of people seem to think the embrace is an important part of tango.

15. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Yes it is . . . but there is only one true embrace . . the rest are holds :)

16. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Let's see... I guess my default is apilado, with the option to open up into elastic-open if the mood is right. For the most part I was taught square close embrace, but I will switch into a V for some volcadas and calecitas if it makes them more comfortable for that partner, and only for that movement. I will do the close embrace without weight sharing, but usually only if the follower I'm with shies away from apilado.

(I'm really not sure what the VU embrace is supposed to be. By btm's definition, I think my first teacher taught something like that but instead of the almost-close embrace, she preferred apilado with the option to open up. She never would have called it VU though. She wasn't born in that neighborhood. heh.)

My goal is to be able to dance with everyone, so I try not to restrict myself.

17. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I only do one style and I call it tango

18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

me too

19. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Is this Schrodinger's cat or some other cat?
    Because we already decided that if it's S's. cat, there is no VU...
    or maybe there is...
    we can't know...
    so can we dance it?

20. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

OH SNAP. ;)

(Can I change my answer?)