Tango Argentino > Videos > Adornos Instructional DVD(s)?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by brasilian, Feb 6, 2009.

1. brasilian

brasilian New Member

Hi there,

Are there instructional DVDs of adornos for women that you could recommend? Any for men ? ( I dont know if it would be called adornos for men or there is another word)

Any feedback, review or comment is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

When men do it, it's called showing off. I know of no instructional DVDs although I'm sure they are out there.

My take on male adornos (and in fact adornos in general) is to continue working on your normal dance. When you start to find the time to do them, get bored and such, then is the time to expand your dance by experimentation. Obviously there are many videos showing common decoration patterns for you to explore. Once experimenting, I recommend a mirror or camera to make sure there is agreement between what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing.

3. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I know of no DVD's neither for females, nor males.

However, I would recommend doing a search on YouTube for "Argentine Tang." Observe and watch.

I don't know what your tango background is, so assuming the least... Make sure that when you do watch a YouTube tango video, they are dancing Argentine Tango. Disregard ballroom tango, or tango from tv shows like "Dancing with the stars," or "So you think you can dance," as their danced is stylized to LOOK LIKE Argentine Tango, but to an experienced eye, the delivery is not quite right.

Here are some good examples:
    Jennifer_Bratt_demonstrating_Embelishments There are several of these embelishment videos from Maleva Tango

Miriam_Larici_&_Hugo_Patyn. Watch their feet. Simple, in tune with te music, effective, and beautiful

That should get you started...

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Here is a video of a man doing lots of embellishments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMuUFlc_l2Y

To be honest, I don't care for his dance because he's doing waaaaay too many embellishments for one dance. I'll concede that he's very talented and does them well. Still, I'd much rather see him show off the woman more, and a lot fewer embellishments from him. At times, it's almost like he thinks that he's the whole show.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I agree I've seen a few other male (usually stage)dancers do this; I prefer the ethos that the man is there to show the woman off, a flourish by the man here and there is okay, but, well he might as well been dancing solo.

6. brasilian

brasilian New Member

Thank you all. Your input and views on this are extremely helpful.