General Dance Discussion > "Adult Beginner"

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by 80srockher, Apr 24, 2015.

1. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Eh, the owner of the martial arts studio I studied at was an 8th dan black belt... no chance any of us were going to surpass him.

His secret was getting his students to do his work for him for free, instead of paying qualified instructors. He literally taught one class a week - every other class was taught by whoever happened to be the most advanced student in the class that day. The primary driver of the cost difference is private vs. group lessons... unless you are an amazingly talented martial artist, you're probably not getting any private lessons.

See above. This certainly would have been a nice arrangement, though I suspect the owner would have laughed me out of the building if I had suggested it, and of course I was too young and naive to think of something like that at that stage of my life.

2. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

When I was dojo-shopping, I noticed that trend mostly among the madeupanasiansoundingname-do masters. I generally wondered how they got advanced students in the first place.

3. IndyLady

The owner of the studio I was at was actually born in and trained in Korea. He was fairly traditional, old school. Extraordinarily talented martial artist but not quite as business-savvy as his brother, who owned a much larger and flashier studio in the next state over.

Not sure if this was coincidence, but the class I watched before I signed up was the one class that he taught. And the black belt who taught many of the classes was excellent (in many ways a better teacher than the master himself) - that was a lucky break - so I think I wasn't as conscious or skeptical of that set-up as I am now in hindsight, older and wiser.

On the last remark... to some extent it's kind of like a cult, even though we often groused about it's not until you extract yourself from it that you can think about it with a clearer perspective. Although I enjoyed the friends I made, I left when I finally realized I was dreading going to class, and that I was nowhere near at the level I probably should have been at. I probably should have left a couple years before I actually did.

I know this has veered way off topic, lol.

4. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Not a good sign as regards the master's rank; in every art that I'm aware of, at least from sandan on, teaching ability is a major part of the rank qualifications. Certainly by hachidan he should have been among the best teachers in the hemisphere, at least. The only excuse I can think of is if some form of dementia or physical impairment reduced his ability after he earned the rank.

On some boards, the primary measure of a good thread is how far it can diverge from the topic while still keeping some interest. :)

5. IndyLady

Eh, it was just another example of the notion that just because you are an amazing at doing something, doesn't mean you are amazing at teaching someone else to do it. Just like the best dancers are not necessarily the best dance teachers. I can in no way criticize this man's martial arts talent - he was truly amazing to watch.

And that's just my opinion that [black belt] was a better teacher, not an objective observation. My learning style (may need things repeated, explained in more depth, you don't have to yell at me if I'm not getting something or doing something right) meshed better with the black belt than the master, who, as I've mentioned, came from a very traditional background where I'm sure his training involved a lot less hand-holding. I could populate a whole thread with the discussions my fellow students and I had over drinks and dinner about the culture of that studio, and the challenges of navigating what could be carried over from a traditional studio vs. an modern day American one where the expectations were more influenced by money and consumerism.