General Dance Discussion > Advantages of learning how to dance on your own

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Mar 12, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

First question: when you read the title of this post, what comes to your mind? Maybe dancing without a partner, and training yourself? That was my first thought. I imagined maybe rehearsing the steps by myself, or watching videos. But that was not the intent (in hindsight, it should be obvious) on the Arthur Murray blog.
    http://www.arthurmurraylive.com/blog/5-advantages-to-learning-how-to-dance-on-your-own
    It seems to focus on taking one on one private lessons, on your own rather than bringing a partner. So what is your takeaway here?

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I agree with you about what I would have expected the post to be about.

I'm not in that situation myself--since I dance pro/am, it's always just me, but from what I've seen from couples learning together, yes, they do benefit from taking some lessons by themselves. They also benefit from taking some of the lessons together. Competitive partners also benefit from some solo lessons. People on here who are part of am/am couples have commented favorably about taking some lessons by themselves.

3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Those Arthur Murray blogs pop up in my FB feed and I usually read them, and based on that I would have expected some sort of "sales pitch" type propaganda, which is what it was. Though it was a little shallower than I was expecting. But basically a slightly extended version of "you don't need a partner to take dance lessons", which is still a common misconception.

DH doesn't dance much anymore, but I agree that we benefited from taking lessons both together and separately. And also dancing with other people besides each other at practice parties (one of the biggest mistakes I see couples make is refusing to do that).

If I had seen that title in isolation with no context, I would have assumed it was talking about trying to learn all by yourself from internet videos, DVD's, etc. with no help from anyone else. Which of course in the long run has serious limitations if you really want to make any progress.

LateToTheDance likes this.
  4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

The main point of that statement has always meant to imply that, "singles " are welcome .

Today, in my area, I still take ladies as a "single" ( many English teachers, do not ).
    Whilst in the States, I have also taken male students, and some male Pro's .

AM started using this ad format , back in the 40s when many males were in military service .

5. DanceMentor

I also felt the article was meant to appeal to someone who feels like they never do anything on their own. They don't have their "own role". I think it is well written.

6. Agreeing 100% with IndyLady when she said this:

"...I agree that we benefited from taking lessons both together and separately. And also dancing with other people besides each other at practice parties (one of the biggest mistakes I see couples make is refusing to do that)."

For us, only due to a 15+ month foot injury for my wife (dance over use injury)I had to start taking private lessons without her instead of the two of us learning together. And I had to dance with everyone but her at parties. I learned a lot from this and if we could start over, we would take the first dozen private lessons individually instead of as a couple.

In fact, with my wife dancing again, I have stopped taking private lessons while she now takes them without me. She will progress/catch up a lot faster this way.

Dancing with spouse - priceless!!! Dancing with others - enlightening and fun. Mixing the two - best of both worlds...at least for us.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Ron montez once told me when he teaches a couple new to him he does at least one lesson with the man alone first. Did this with Tony Meredith recently and made the next lessons with pro and the Mrs much more productive

8. DanceMentor

I think I agree with this notion so long as there is a sense that the couple is building a sense of working together to produce a good result. Sometimes there can be an economic benefit for dance studios to separate the couple because they may not be able to keep both people but they can keep one of them. But if there is a desire from both of them to learn to dance together, it is important that they develop some skills to work with each other more effectively.

raindance and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Yes he's specifically referring to competitive couples. Pro pro or advanced am am. Or am male in pro am

10. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

This is a topic that's been following me around for quite a while now, and I'm well aware that this is a part of the gaming community, which is completely the opposite of what we're doing, but livestreaming seems like a pretty cool idea. I find watching YouTube videos rather dull, but friends of mine (who are involved with the gaming and artists community) told me so much about this whole livestreaming thing and how you can actually interact with the person streaming. According to what my friends have told me, it's a special website for creative live streaming I believe?

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Exactly that was my first idea, to be once own guide, coach, trainer, teacher. And I learned dancing exactly that way for years.

-I arranged my own syllabus,
    -invented my own system for labanotation (perhaps I should publish it somewhere..),
    -tried to find someone, who could give me a feedback and acknowledge what I've learned,
    -drew a big chart for all possible moves, poses, transitions,
    -began to compare which type of physiotherapy or body work best suits for a certain type of body constitution,
    -began to collect music for djaying,
    -began teaching and giving workshops..

First I did so, because I had no money. Then I found out that I was better than many a pro, now I earn from it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    DanceMentor likes this.
  12. open_mind

open_mind Member

So many times I've heard from other people: "I would love to learn how to dance, but my husband/wife/gf/bf are not into it, so I guess it's not for me". I respect that, but my husband's disinterest in dancing didn't stop me. I guess that's what AM post is all about, encouraging people to try this hobby even though they have no permanent partner because they just haven't found a dance partner, or they are single or their significant others don't dance (and we are not going to dive into non-dancing spouse arguments here). I really don't think their post tries to encourage partners to learn separately from each other. I mean, yes, obviously each individual in a partnership will advance at their own pace and should take charge of their own progress through various means (such as physical fitness, individual lessons or anything else), but if luck is on your side and you have a dance partner, by all means you should learn together most of the time.

IndyLady and opendoor like this.
  13. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

I asked my friends about that website and I believe it's called picarto.tv, they seem to offer a dance category as well, but I haven't really checked that out yet.