Ballroom Dance > Advice for Building a Dance Floor

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caw, May 6, 2014.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Ah, I think that's where I kept going astray -- I thought you were asking about floors for a business / practice space in NYC. Yes, then, do whatever makes sense financially and for the space you have.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  2. caw

caw Active Member

Has anyone experienced DURA dance floors, or things of the sort? I heard good stuff about them from one person.

3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

We didn't do anything extra to the finish. The finish as-is (with this brand i guess LOL) was fine. But either way, I highly recommend not using bamboo ;-)

I have a craft room workshop that is in the basement as well. We recycled the laminate from the upstairs that we tore out and put it in my Lady Cave (LOL). There is that blue foamy stuff between the laminate and the cement. I honestly prefer that to the bamboo floor we constructed. Plus the seams are flush. The finish isn't quite as nice but hardly a problem....mind you it's too crammed full of stuff to really practice ;-) So similar to jump'n'jive.

caw likes this.
  4. caw

caw Active Member

I think I've found a place that has wood floors, which will save me the cost of putting them in. But the floors are unfinished and I'm not sure how to finish them to make them danceable. I've seen finished floors that are too slick, too sticky, and just right.

Any advice?

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Unfinished is best.

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

If its real wood, Parafin wax, it comes in "blocks ", grate sparingly, and buff lightly... needs to soak in for a couple of days .

7. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

"lady Cave".... very funny!

8. caw

caw Active Member

It's real wood. Maybe I'll have them sand it down and see how it feels, then decide if it needs wax. Thanks

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

No wax!

10. caw

caw Active Member

Okay, two votes for no wax. Thanks

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

12. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that a raw wood floor would work though--what should be put on it??

13. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Tung oil, or nothing at all.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

When I had my own studio I put nothing on the floor. It was a bit weird for the first year. But after that it was the nicest feeling floor I had ever been on, until the latin kids dowsed it with castor oil that is...

16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

So an unfinished wood floor really works? I'll have to file that away in the "in 5-10 years when I'm a homeowner..." pile of information.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It works...for dancing.

18. JANATHOME

Bringing this back to the top with a question...
    I am looking to install a floor in my basement,(basement is finished) and I am looking at pre finished engineered hardwood. I have the engineered wood on a whole level of my house and I love it, but looking for any suggestions if it is a good floor to practice on.....

Why this? My house will go up for sale within the next 5 years and so not only am I considering a practice floor for now, but resale value a bit down the road. Right now the basement is carpeted.

19. QuickQuickSlow

QuickQuickSlow New Member

Janathome,

How is your floor coming along? I am also considering building a basement dance floor.

20. JANATHOME

Oh, it is all done and I am very happy with it.

I did use an engineered oak hardwood. I was working with a basement with a cement floor and a walk out door. If I put a subfloor on the cement and then hardwood the floor would of been too high... Since this is a walk out basement the doors would of been an issue... The other option was to remove the cement and dig it out so the floor would be even with the door, well out of my price range.

The cement was sanded, leveled and treated. A lot of extra padding put between the cement and the floor. It does not hurt my knees and I don't find the floor slippery even though there is a slight pre finish on the wood. I also had full length mirrors installed on one wall of the length of the room, which is awesome!!

Of course my choice would of been hardwood, but as a second choice I am happy with it.

latingal and Larinda McRaven like this.