Ballroom Dance > Advice for Building a Dance Floor

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caw, May 6, 2014.

1. caw

caw Active Member

Oh, I totally forgot about this thread. I ended up getting a space and putting in a portable dance floor. Not a perfect rectangle, because there're bathrooms and a kitchen, so it bulges out in the middle to allow for travel toward the centre in things like foxtrot.

Check it out: http://imgur.com/a/mavJ4

Thanks again for all your advice, guys!

latingal likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why was the concrete sanded?

Were you instructed to arrange the tiles with the "grain" perpendicularly?

3. Looks great!

4. caw

caw Active Member

The tiles fit together by means of an interlocking framework under the floor that acts like a puzzle. Consequentially, the floor ends up with a checkerboard pattern, but it can't be felt by just dancing on it. Since getting this floor, I have noticed the same thing in multiple competition floors.

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Maybe they ground down some particularly high spots that were too high for the self-leveling compound? Seems like that would imply a pretty bad finish on the original pour though.

6. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

There were groves in the cement, so the groves were sanded down and then a self leveling compound used, or so the floor guy tells me!

Attached Files:

• 071.JPG
      071.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 071.JPG
      071.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    latingal likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sometimes concrete gets a brushed finish, depending on the use of the surface, sometimes smooth. (Hopefully, you mean "grooves". ;) )

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Interesting. Would have thought the leveling would have filled any bristle broom grooves like those on a sidewalk. The wonderful world of concrete - so much to learn. Time to get me a bag of Sakrete and start 'sperimentin'.

Joe and Bailamosdance like this.