Salsa > Aguanile

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by wonderwoman, Dec 7, 2010.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Who has danced to this song? It's extremely fast. I know I did pretty good with it a couple times before but last night I could not for the life of me keep up with it. I was dancing with my teacher too so he's going to pick on me later when I go for my lesson. LoL.

2. Josh

Josh Active Member

Good song :) Stay on the balls of your feet, use the ankles to control your movement, and don't try to move too big, and even the fastest salsa song can be danced to! :)

3. wonderwoman

Small steps, tight, very controlled. Very hard to do, but good song to practice these things.

4. urish

urish New Member

Fast piece indeed, can be fun to dance or very exhausting, depending on your partner. When I have fast pieces, I actually have some tricks that make dancing easier:
    1. Small steps, of course
    2. Breaking when suitable with the music (even a whole-phrase complete stop).
    3. Dancing to the bassline. Reduces each phrase to four steps instead of six, preserving your energy while keeping your timing with music.

I generally don't think that I should outline in my movements any note or sound that I hear, rather take what I want from the music and incorporate it into my dance.

5. wonderwoman

Def a lot of breaks in it, which kills me even more than the tempo, because when I have to add styling or shine, I get nervous and it shows! I danced this with my teacher Monday before last and it was pathetic, on my part. He was trying to push me but I ended up sitting out half way through the song. I haven't encountered 'the beast' again yet, but I'll post how it goes lol

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Can't wait to hear how that goes, WW!!!

7. wonderwoman

oh its Aguanile.

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That makes more sense. I looked it up, and in salsa the word 'aguanile' comes from the Afro-Cuban religion Santería. So it and other santería phrases are heard a lot in Cuban salsa. (I know, big deal--we just wanna dance!)

9. urish

urish New Member

Another one that is heard a lot is "Yemama" and "Ochun"... Actually, I think they also appear in the original version of Aguanile by Hector and Willie

10. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I think more appropriately " stay on the BALL of your FOOT" lowering after each complete weight change( as in Ball/Flat ) ....its not ballet.

One cannot remain grounded , tippy toeing around.

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Cool, urish! This aspect of the Cuban dances and music is very interesting... :cheers:

12. Josh

Josh Active Member

I didn't say "toe" -- "ball" does not imply "tippy toeing".

13. tangotime

I didnt say that you did.. but, thats the impression one gets when watching someone dance without lowering to flat foot.. there are people on Salsa Forums who were taught to dance doing just that, and there was a whole discussion on this very topic ,where the general consensus was Lower to whole foot. ( they complained their feet hurt.. no wonder !! ) in addition, salsa techn. ( street style ) is completely different from what is taught and danced in B/room (even there, we do lower to whole foot as you know ).

14. urish

urish New Member

Hi Ray, I have just created a video with all of these "Spirits" like Yemaya and Ochún:

[yt]R94dIWlRfgg[/yt]

Hope you enjoy it!

15. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

16. azzey

azzey Member

I've been dancing to Aguanile for years (often every week), as the DJs play it as the last song of the night. Yes, it's fast but not THE fastest song I've ever dance to. You should try some Quebradita!

Tips:

- Think 'slow and smooth'.. if you think "this is a fast song, so I must rush" it'll make it harder for you to keep time and your movements may become bigger, making it even harder to keep up.
    - Small movements of the body in moves and body movement. The further you have to travel/move the longer it takes.
    - Don't always reflect everything in the music. When tired it is possible to move in half time (every other beat) e.g. step 1, 3, 5, 7 and still reflect the music.
    - Be selective of what you interpret, with moves, spins, footwork etc.
    - Less is sometimes more, if it allows you to keep the quality of the dance up. Less spins, less complicated moves.
    - Good dancing is often about keeping a balance between connection with the music, connection with your partner and connection with the floor. Fast tracks often make leader/followers focus too much on one aspect of the dance and lose/forget about the others.

Re: The afro-cuban meaning, this is pretty good:
    wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_aguanile

17. wonderwoman

Great. Thanks :)

18. tangotime

I sincerely hope not !.. many recordings are from concerts and are primarily show pieces never intended for the social dance floor ( unless you like running to music ! ) .

19. timberamayor

timberamayor Member

I'm not allowed to have the link in my quote but geez some of those other answers "water from the nile":headwall:

And "what is the latin meaning of Aguanile?" LoL

20. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Hmm, is it really that fast? I recall dancing to this song a couple times and it seemed alright. I wonder if we're thinking of different versions though.

Is it Marc Anthony?