Ah, men in tails. How do we love thee? Let us count the ways.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancelvr, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Mine are in line with yours, Fascination......swoon..... :D
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I infer that you feel about men in tailsuits as I do: even Jabba the Hutt looks hot in tails. I swear, I jumped my first serious bf, back in college, b/c he had, and wore, and was comfortable in, and looked magnificent in, tails (concert dress in music school). Ah, men in tails. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
  3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

What an image. *sigh* I'm realy going to have stop thinking about this. I'm getting light-headed!
  4. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

true true ... it's the "James Bond" effect. Never mind that he is a habitual womanizer who'd give you some sort of std before he'd go run off and shoot some people and blow up a building. but when he puts on that tux!! *swoon* and that is just the tip of the iceberg LOL.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

meh...i draw the line at Jabba and anyone a bit too pale...but my original sig line on df for a long* long * long * time was: there is nothing more atrractive than a man in a tailsuit with a number pinned to his back...:cool:
  6. j_alexandra

My kinda guy. :p And Sean Connery or Daniel Craig, please; you can keep the rest of them. But I digress.

7. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

The Ways Men Look Fabulous in Tails

1. Elegance
    2. Excellent posture
    3. All Spiffed Up
    4. They look like Fred Astaire, so we ecpect them to be charming, gentlemanly, witty and a bit romantic. Or very romantic.
    5. Tails are flattering.
    6. They make grown women drool.

I completely agree about melting for a man in tails!
  8. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

I went to a musical performance that a couple of my brothers were in on Friday and the concertmaster / principal first violin was wearing tails. Tails look good unless they're too short...

It makes me realize that I'm going to have to find a dance tailor soon, I want a nice set of tails. Now I just need to stop putting all of my disposable income into attending every comp that I can get to/find a partner for.
  9. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

... taking notes...

I'll just comment that in today's sensibility, some would consider Astaire's characters womanizers with a side order of stalker. Just sayin'.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Street/social tails (like the violinist was wearing) ARE short.
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Are they really? Never noticed that. Will have to do some research...
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

personally, I think fred astaire was a homely man so i'd rather not go there...but the tails man him less so
  13. j_alexandra

Ya gotta love wikipedia:

According to Hollywood folklore, a screen test report on Astaire for RKO Pictures... is reported to have read: "Can't sing. Can't act. Balding. Can dance a little." ... Astaire, in a 1980 interview... insisted that the report had actually read: "Can't act. Slightly bald. Also dances". ... David O. Selznick, who had signed Astaire to RKO and commissioned the test, stated in a memo "I am uncertain about the man, but I feel, in spite of his enormous ears and bad chin line, that his charm is so tremendous that it comes through even on this wretched test."

It must have been the tails. B/C he definitely is no oil painting.
  14. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Someone should use that in their sig.

Musicians tend to get tails that won't brush the ground when they are sitting down. I'd expect violinists to still get tails that have closer to a dance style in the arms, though - I know some conductors do.
  15. j_alexandra

Tempting, but no. (extra credit here for recognizing that quote)
  16. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

James Bond effect in full force. If there is a dashing outfit, and the man is handsome we don't notice the negatives. Extra points for cute songs ;)
  17. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

Oh gracious, with these visuals, I'll never get any work done today!!!
    Seriously, I'm blessed to dance with two fellas that are such gentlemen, in their "everyday" attire that when the wear their tuxes or "tails", I could just swoon. Each has the gift of making their dance partners feel beautiful and that we are the most important woman in their life at that very moment. Yes, I'm truly blessed indeed.
  18. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Julia Roberts
    Notting Hill

m
  19. bclure

bclure Member

Ok, I'm sold. I went out and got measured up for tails this morning.
  20. j_alexandra

<swoon> He dances. He knows cookware. He recognizes quotes from chick flicks. And I bet he has a tailsuit. <swoon>
    :D