Tango Argentino > Videos > Alternative Milonga

Discussion in 'Videos' started by dchester, Jul 10, 2011.

1. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

In a technical subject or even a language, yes. In how a fluffy cultural concept is to be defined? More rarely.

In this particular case, certainly not. One reason jantango is in BBAA is because she was looking for one particular style of tango that is found nowhere else, and she's developed a strong bias for thinking that what she is looking for (and is emotionally significant to her) is authentic and what she is not looking for is a threat.

That's not skill, that's confirmation bias.

I don't blame her, because it's natural, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with her tango policing or her particular brand of tango fundamentalism.

Most porteños I've ever spoken to are much more laid back about things (they'll often express very strong views but they rarely try to force their view on others, and certainly not other porteños; they believe what they believe with fervour but they're really usually open to the fact others may have other views).

Most hate people dancing in a very open embrace 100% of the time and people not dancing to the music -- I've seen some of them really cringe and suffer mental anguish at some European milongas.

But dancing to Elvis? Naah. They may shrug their shoulders at someone dancing to the William Tell ouverture, but none of them will see it as a sign of impending doom. It's a pity that small digital cameras didn't exist in the '90s when Tete came over to the small Brussels milongas, because if anyone thinks Oscar Casas was Defiling Tango by dancing to Elvis, I can tell you that I'd have material about Tete that's a lot more incriminatory.

2. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I don't know about defiling tango, but if I could dance that badly, I'd be very pleased. ;)

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

hmm tangoing in croatia, how nice; where is your summer festival held..was a while since I was out that way..went down to Sarajevo and back through Zagreb..

4. gniksic

gniksic New Member

This festival was in Poreč, on the Istrian coast. It is organized by my teachers from Zagreb (Zrinko and Tajana) and this was the second edition. I'll send you some links with info about tango in Croatia just in case you return here. I'll have to do it in a PM since I'm still not allowed to post active links and similar stuff... yet.

5. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

That statement broadly disregards subjects like sociology and anthropology as fluff. Perhaps this is another type of bias less precise subjects of learning? Dance ethnography might be fluffy and related cultural concepts, but it's fairly common to find experts in it. You might feel like this specific person is no expert, but the idea of an outsider being more of an expert than an insider even in a 'soft' subject like anthropology is not ludicrous at all.

6. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

We aren't talking about anthropology, now, are we? Anthropology is still a science, tango isn't. I have yet to see peer reviewed journals for Argentine tango filled with articles with falsifiable hypotheses, thank God for that.

There is actually a systematic body of knowledge about Argentine tango that has been codified and you could use that to build "science", but what Jan seems to considers the true tango she wants to defend is a subset of it. In other words, she's an expert in a field that she narrowly defined herself.

The porteños seem to have done quite well without an imported tango police, and I have yet to see any convincing evidence they need help from foreigners in setting one up.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I hear this played at milongas sometimes..

8. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Some of the teachers who have been on the road for a long time start longing for other kind of music and uses non-tango songs in class. I am not so fond of it but it can have a positive side too. Graciela Gonzales even recomended it on an instructor course - beginners have easier to adapt on tango steps when doing them to known music at the very beginning.

Chicho is the one using other music at every performance night - anyhow I get that impression on youtube. I have found some Pazzollas songs and they are not at all tango-like.

Chicho Frumboli y Juana Sepulveda 'Claire De Lune', Mallorca08
    It is not tango but it is entertaining and I think it keeps the performers going with new inspiration. Good for us!

(there is a more popular version from a Turkey festival)

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Thanks border, this is by far better and more powerful than the original from the Motorcycle Diaries album!
    :cheers: