Swing Discussion Boards > Am I a fool to begin rock n roll dance lessons at age 55?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Mikefbolen, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I figured the "right" comments would get Damon in on the "bounce" thing!

2. Doug

Doug New Member

So are you telling me that as a new guy on the forum I volunteered to be the goat without even knowing it?? :(

3. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

The wording is tricky. These conversations seem to pan out indicating that we actually move in similar ways, and we're talking about the same things all along. The ways we describe things seem to be the only things that don't line up. In addition to the differences in ups & downs, we've also got tops & bottoms adding to the confusion, meaning upper body and lower body. I like to say "just don't make it look like polka".

4. d nice

d nice New Member

I love Dean, but what you have to understand is that no one really dances like Dean but Dean. Pretty much every old-time I've talked to, studied under, or watched had a definite pulse.

Confining the bounce to the body so that the head remains level makes the dance smooth. That does not mean the dance does not posses a pulse or bounce balboa and lindy hop respectively.

I don't know where you learned originally, or from who... but "Extra Bouncey" lindy hop is no more correct than non-bouncing lindy hop. Sure the music may feel like you should minimize your normal bounce or exaggerate it, but there are still extremes of the spectrum that cause the dance to break down, you want to avoid those.

5. jon

jon Member

I'm curious what WCS crowd you run in, as this sounds like a local popularity. I doubt that, for example, more than a tiny fraction of Bay Area WCS dancers have even heard of Balboa, and I don't believe I've ever seen anyone doing it at a local WCS dance (well, OK, I tried doing the maybe two steps of it I know at Frezno when the DJ put on an unusual trance number that contained both WCS and Balboa-tempo rhythms).

You're not going to know if it's rightly or wrongly unless you ask them. Constructing interpretations of what people say that has nothing to do with the actual words coming out of their mouths is rarely a productive exercise outside of the political arena.

Personally, I prefer smoother movement for (personal, subjective) aesthetic and (personal, objective) knee-related reasons.