Am teacher / Am student now ok in NDCA comps?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Bailamosdance, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Just got this from Andy / Sandra Fortuna:

Student/Teacher Entries Being Accepted
    Use The Pro/Am Form

"Two Amateurs may enter the Student/Teacher category. These are single dance
    entries. Either partner may enter as the Student or the Teacher and maintain their Amateur status. The student will compete against the other students in the heats consisting of the same level and age. Adult Student/Teacher entries will be danced in the corresponding style sessions. International Style Junior, Juvinile, and Youth Student/Teachers will dance on Sunday during the Juvinile, Junior, Youth Am/Am multi dance session.

This new rule has been approved by the NDCA and USA Dance "

Does this mean that mixed proficiency is now ok in NDCA comps?
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If that is true, could someone switch off? Dance as the teacher in bronze, then dance with a pro as the student in open?
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sounds basically like the USADance Mixed Proficiency.
  4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

So as I read it, it means a amateur who teaches can take their students to competition but probably can't do championship or multi-dance events. Also interesting that maybe a couple could experiment with who they call the teacher to see which yields better results. Might also make single dance events more exciting than the championship in some cases, and definitely invites comparison between amateur couples and pro-am couples. Could be very interesting. Might also take some market share from USA Dance as amateur couples spend money at NDCA events more often.
  5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Do those student/teacher couples compete against pro/am couples in single dances? Or they're judged separately?
  6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Ah, ok, so no mixing with Pro/am. These classifications are getting difficult to follow. :)
  7. Gary McDonald

Gary McDonald New Member

At the NDCA meeting last week it was voted unanimously to accept amateur teachers in the Pro-Am division. This means that an Amateur teacher can dance in the Pro-Am division with their students as long as they register as an Amateur teacher with the NDCA. This also means that once they register as an Amateur teacher they would not be allowed to dance as the student in a Pro-Am competition.
    These teacher/students would be considered a regular Pro-Am couple and NOT be a separate event.
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the clarification Gary.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Thanks, Gary!
  10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Mahalo Gary. whew, as the brain relaxes.
  11. raindance

raindance Active Member

Could someone please explain what an amateur teacher is?? The term seems contradictory to me.
  12. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

I'm a little confused as well.

So they maintain their amateur status but can't dance as an amateur?
  13. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

as an amateur half of a Pro-Am couple in a Pro Am event at an NDCA competition.
  14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No, they can dance as an amateur as part of an amateur couple. The only thing amateur teachers cannot do is compete as the student (i.e "am") half of a pro-am couple.

(Granted the terminology could use some adjusting for clarity's sake)
  15. avab

avab New Member

An amateur teacher may enter NDCA sanctioned events with his/her students and compete in regular pro/am divisions without forfeiting his/her amateur status. That means that Joe Amateur may dance in the pro/am dances with various students and in the amateur division with his amateur partner, just as pros dance with students in pro/am and his/her pro partner in professional divisions.

However, once an amateur registers with the NDCA as a teacher, he/she may not dance as the amateur in any pro/am divisions.

USA Dance is in the process of adopting the same definitions of pro and amateur.
  16. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

I see, so we have two definitions for amateur now. The "all the way" amateur (student) who can dance Am-Am or Pro-Am as amateur, and the "somewhat" amateur (teacher) who can dance Am-Am but not Pro-Am as amateur.

Too bad really. I would have been happy to be able to dance pro-am with my instructor's newer bronze students, were I to maintain my option to still be able to dance pro-am with my instructor.
  17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Are you a pro/am dancer? If so, i can see how this would be confusing for you. (this concept was foreign to me too at first)

I will attempt to answer this to my best knowledge, but if anyone would like to clarify please feel free to comment.

There are basically 4 types of dancers:

Type 1 - Am student (who dances Pro/am with their teacher)
    Type 2 - Am student (who dances Am/Am with another student)
    Type 3 - Pro teacher
    Type 4 - Am teacher

What is the difference between types 3 and 4? basically, the name of event/level at which they dance. but both are teachers.

Traditionally speaking, in the rest of the world, there is no such thing as pro/am, so everyone trains as am/am (type 2) and progresses in that fashion. eventually, if they become good enough, they may start teaching or coaching others as well (type 4). but they still compete in high level am/am events (they are very good, and sometimes better than some professionals).

Eventually, if they are looking for more or just different competition, they may decide to declare professional status, in which case they would be considered type 3, and compete in professional competitions rather than high level am/am competitions.

Before this rule change, type 4 dancers were not allowed to compete with a student partner at pro/am competitions because they were not technically "pro" status, despite being a teacher. (which, as i understand it, is why most am teachers mostly coach am couples - but i could be wrong.) Now with this rule change, type 4 dancers can register as the "pro" half of a pro/am couple and take their students to NDCA comps without having to change which level they compete in with their own am partner (i.e. they arent forces to start competing as type 3 dancers with their regular partner).

hope this helps. i know i may have some generalizations off here (since i am a student in pro/am as well) so anyone feel free to comment, but i believe this is the gyst.
  18. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

19. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thank you very much for stepping in to clarify, Gary and avab!
  20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Isn't this a bit like having your cake and eating it, too?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.