Ballroom Dance > Amateur teachers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by billman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. billman

billman Active Member

Just curious how an amateur dancer can teach at a studio and still be able to dance as an amateur? Do they recieve products or lessons as conpensation?

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Individuals who only compete in am-am competitions are 100% allowed to be paid dance instructors. It's only pro-am students who are not allowed to teach.

3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

What he said. Both NDCA and USADance agree on this (no idea on international organizations / other US dance organizations).

4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup, I teach for money, although not for a studio, and have never had a problem. Neither have any of my friends. My old latin partner actually worked for a studio and we never had any problems with that either

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It's especially common in large cities, and you'll often rates as low as $30 on up to $200+ teaching on the same floor. Here in LA it would be rare NOT to see amateur teachers at a studio.

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

But it's my understanding that an amateur teacher cannot be the 'am' or the 'pro' in a pro am couple......

7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

You are correct debmc.

debmc likes this.
  8. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Well-Known Member

To bad people don't follow that. Around here lots of am's dancing pro am teach and a few studios have hired them. :-/

9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

report them!

suburbaknght, Hedwaite and Joe like this.
  10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Is there not some rule somewhere about an am who teaches less than 500 hours, or some such stipulation, being able to legally dance as the am in pro/am? I am almost certain that there is. :bookworm:

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Not even close, and never has been. The rule book clearly states that anyone who teaches is disallowed from dancing as the student dancer in a pro-am partnership.

debmc and Angel HI like this.
  12. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Hmm.... Thanks. I am almost certain that I had known that from somewhere in the past.

13. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

From the NDCA rulebook:

------------------------------------------------------------
    9 3. PRO/AM STUDENT DANCER:
    10 a. The term "Pro/Am" refers to a professional dancer/teacher dancing with their student. In this case
    11 the student will be known as a "Pro/Am Student Dancer". A Pro/Am Student Dancer competes
    12 with a professional partner.
    13 b. A Pro/Am Student Dancer competes in Ballroom dance purely as an avocation.
    14 c. A Pro/Am Student Dancer does not teach Ballroom dance under any circumstances.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Not teaching under any circumstances could be interpreted to include acting as an unpaid assistant in a newbie group class, or helping a friend with their wedding dance no-charge.

suburbaknght likes this.
  14. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Are the am/am rules slightly different? I've never researched it (no reason to) but I've gotten the impression that you can still do am/am if you teach, as long as you don't compete pro/am as the pro?

15. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Am/ams can teach. The ams of pro-ams can't.

dbk likes this.
  16. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

If you,compete as a pro, you are a pro.

17. flightco

flightco Well-Known Member

Sounds like I have screwed myself; I have been acting as a teachers assistant for a few months now and on occasion have taught a beginner ECS class when the regular teacher was not available. This was all done without any compensation other than the reward you get when you accomplish something new and do a good job. (If you are wondering why I was doing this it just seemed like another way to up my dancing)

From what I have read above, it sounds like I have eliminated myself from being the AM of a PRO/AM. Don't know why but I had "assumed" that if you weren't getting some type of compensation you weren't considered a pro, just an amateur helping out. The reason I say I screwed myself is it looks like now I can't dance amateur, and I sure as heck can't dance as the Pro.

Looks like AM/AM is still an option, right? The thought of me being a Pro makes me laugh (well and cry at the same time).

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Yep, am/am is still an option through both the NDCA and USADance. I think they don't allow teaching for no pay because cash payments are darn near impossible to trace and that would allow teachers who exclusively are paid in cash to claim they are teaching for no pay and abuse the system that way.

19. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Often they will first want you to cease your activities. They still want you to spend money at the competitions, and banning you wouldn't be good for the revenue stream. That said, they can do it!

jiwinco likes this.
  20. flightco

flightco Well-Known Member

Well, this puts me in a precarious position. I have just mailed a letter to them telling them I will not renew my membership until they get over their fight with USA Dance and stop threatening their judges with fines for trying to make a living. Now I am supposed to contact them and say I am sorry I helped our studio out when their ECS instructor was ill and could not make the class and I taught it (with no compensation).

Honestly, I am wondering if Ballroom is worth it. It should be fun, healthy and something that brings dancers together. Rather it is political, political and political. I have only been dancing a couple years so I have no idea if this is new or it has always been this way but I, for one, am very offended by NDCA and have lost all desire to be connected with them in any way. Dancing should be fun and they are making it something entirely different. I was looking forward to future competitions but it looks like my dance future will move more toward social dancing, WCS, country, etc. I love to dance but I am a grownup and will not put up with NDCA's political BS