Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > America's Ballroom Challenge - coming to TV in 2009

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by reb, Nov 18, 2008.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

So, we could migrate round NA, happless nomadic ABC adicts, catching it as it is aired in one state after another....

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

If they were only going to show one dance from the actual competition why choose quickstep and swing and jive? Swing and jive are the LEAST Latin of the dances!
    I'd say cha cha and foxtrot are more characteristic of their genres.

Also Ron I love you but NOBODY cares about the names of the steps!

3. YanaA

YanaA New Member

Unfortunatelly, I missed the PBS broadcast. I wanted to see the show so much because I didnt attend OSB. Anybody knows if there will be a repeat of the show in any channel or its too late?

4. IndySpinner

IndySpinner New Member

There are always repeats throughout the year of ABC. Just keep an eye out, the latest ABC has been repeated twice at least so far.

5. IndySpinner

IndySpinner New Member

Oh my that is so funny!!! Electrolytes! ABC has so much more to offer and enjoy than DWTS!

But of course thats just a reflection of my tastes.

6. IndySpinner

IndySpinner New Member

DWTS began airing when I was a student at AM. I am presently at FADS. My observation is that DWTS has NOT increased business significantly at either studio. Both are still fighting to attract new students. Kind of glum, but I think that too many people just want to watch, rather than get off their sofas and do!

7. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

The earliest years of the PBS "Championship Ballroom Dancing" were my introduction to ballroom. Much later, at a social at Dan and Suzanne's old studio in Watertown, I thought, "how cool to have seen them on TV, and now get to dance at their studio!".

While the show didn't get me into ballroom at first, I got there eventually when the time was right for me. It certainly planted the seed that this was something people did beyond a social level.

8. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

So today was a marathon of ABC on my local PBS station. 2006 & 2007 respectively. I have to say, I was more impressed with the juniors than most of the pros. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if one is dancing a "Showdance" in one's style, one would be expected to have at least one or two elements of that style somewhere in the dance?

Seeing Pierre & Mireille made me long for the "good ol' days". The only dancers I recognized were Ben & Shalene Ermis and Jose DeCamps, Julia Gorchekova & Katusha Demidova. :-( Not counting the DWTS pros. ;-)

9. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

I started watching them in 1988, watched it loyally ever since. I was already dancing by that point in time but it just made me want to get that much better at it.

10. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I began watching the show around 1983? and encouraged me to find a studio when I moved to Maryland in '85. If I hadn't seen those programs, I wouldn't have even known where to begin looking for partner dance. In Baltimore, the shows were partially underwritten by a local AM or FADS studio. I was lucky to find a great independent studio in Towson. Excellent teachers and great students who quickly became friends.

11. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Saw it last night. All I can say is "meh". We called the end result though. There was just *no* contest. Hubs wanted Eugene & Maria to win the latin. And I got a complement of out it too. He said I "dance like her". W00T! That's the NICEST thing he's ever said about my dancing *ever*. So the show wasn't a total waste. 8)

12. EMOYENO

EMOYENO New Member

I'm a big fan!! & I've enjoyed this show so much.
    Hope to see more of it cause I missed the beginning.

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Welcome to DF, Emoyeno

14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Yes, welcome EMOYENO!

15. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Anyone heard yet whether there'll be a 2010 show?

16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

There will not be one filmed this year. They didn't get the donations/support for it.

17. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

That sucks !!!

18. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Wow that's a shame :(

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I've never been to OSB before, but everyone in that thread seems to think it will make for a better night for actual spectators/dancers there. So certainly good and bad aspects to it.

20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I am not sure why.. beacause they wont tell people when to clap etc :)?