Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > America's Ballroom Challenge - coming to TV in 2009

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by reb, Nov 18, 2008.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think the above is all true but perhaps its time one of the networks tried a real ballroom sport program. We don't hve to do fantasy foootball to watch football neither should be have to for ballroom - the sport could be done in such a way as to make it exciting to the viewer because of the dancing not because of the glitz. For example, they could have a three couple 5 dance competition with commentators that really know the art giving the highs and lows. I happen to think that it would work - the masses of people that now dance would watch and there appears to be an enormous audience that can't get enough ballroom dancing.

Just my two cents.... (where's the two cents emoticon!)

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

If the program you described aired head-to-head with DWTS, which one do you think would get more viewers?

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Don't know - I've never seen DWTS :oops: :) I may be the only person on the planet that has not. Besides, its the rare sports program that is put up against evening entertainment - except perhaps for the championship game (and then only in the most popular sports). Could one put Blackpool on in the evening? Not yet but get the public educated as to how real ballroom competitions work perhaps in time...

4. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

All of this of course begs the question of HOW competitions get judged, a very thorny question in itself. Sometimes one needs to be careful what one wishes for. To have a real spotlight thrown on comp judging of ballroom dance?
    Now that would be true backroom drama in a reality show! :)
    BOT - There is the "So You Think You Can Dance" show, which gets close to the format suggested here, and it has a variety of dancing and some truly spectacular choreography. I think we get so attached to ballroom dancing we tend to forget that in the end it is a very limited form of dancing. Take out the glitz, fantasy and sexy costuming, and what's left may not be as grand and involving as many of us wish to believe.
    And now really BOT - the one thing I missed most in the TV show was the solo dance of Ilya and Nadia when they announced their retirement. I have never been a fan of their dancing, but that solo rumba was the best I have seen from them, and worth some time on TV. I would have preferred to see that number over one of the pro-am numbers.

5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

I think that showdances can sometimes be so over the top that they bear little resemblance to their original ballroom styles. I prefer showdances composed mainly of social/competition-appropriate material with maybe a lift or something. For me (and I think wooh; please correct me if I'm wrong), the appeal of showdance is having the dancing tailored specifically to the music, as opposed to regular competition where a lot of dancers come with already prepared choreography to be danced to whatever music may be playing at the time. (not saying it's a bad thing, as I think the idea there is to showcase technical mastery) :)

I agree with Warren. I think everyone has their own definition of "real ballroom dancing". :)

6. RickRS

RickRS Member

The show was filmed widescreen, in HD. I'm catching up with my DVR recording (dance workshop Wednesday when it aired) and haven't seen the complete show just yet. In widescreen, Ron and Jean are sitting in complete view, but at the far edges of the screen. You're seeing a cropped version for standard def tv.

While some are disappointed with this year's show, it's still wall-to-wall dance in comparation to DwTS. I'm happy with what I've seen so far (Am. Smooth and Am Rythmn, finish up watching the Int. tonight).

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

And there I am diametrically opposite. IMO showdances provide artists whit a (the only?) opportunity to combine their highly developed dance skills with an open (no pun intended) opportunity to be as creative as they like. Its a great equalizaer because often dancers who do not have the superlative technique have the most engaging creativity. To me the problem is when the media think that the two are interchangeablel - I understand why (show dances are better entertainment) but its really a sell-out to the art of ballroom.

8. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

I wish they would get commentary from someone like Ashly DelGrosso Costa -- she did a pretty good job with the programs they ran on CN8. As for DWTS vs. a "real" competition, they show glitzy ice skating shows in addition to the Olympics, so why can't we have both? Sure, the audience for the latter in dancesport may initially be smaller, but we now have a chance to educate the American audience while they are actually interested in watching dancing that we're not taking advantage of.

9. kimV6

kimV6 New Member

it's funny you should say that, because that actually is a great point. how many more people tune into the olympics (an actual competition) than a showdancy skating show (the analogy here being dwts). last time i checked those are the programs that are on abc at like noon on sundays, when nobody's watching.

then again, i think there's also something to be said in this analogy about scoring and how that makes something more accessible. when you watch the olympics, perhaps you don't understand the intricacies of the scoring system, but you know that a 6.0 is better than a 5.7 (i think that's how skating works, haha). i think that that portion of dwts is what bothers me the most; laypeople who watch it think all competitions are judged by people holding up placards with scores for individual couples.

personally, i think the best presentations of ballroom are those public broadcasts of IDSF championships that always seem to be originally broadcast by some station in new hampshire, and pop up every now and then on your local PBS (decent commentary, actual competitions, quality dancing... AND they show you the marks after every dance)

10. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Someone else already mentioned that the show was aired in wide-screen HD. But that being said, it's either the fault of your local station, or a misconfiguration of your viewing equipment, which resulted in the cut off image. That shouldn't happen if everything is doing it's job.

11. pruthe

pruthe Member

Just wanted to say that in the Standard showdance, I was really impressed with the Waltz of Linas Koreiva and Liene Apale. I've been watching it a number of times on my recording. Their dance was short and simple, and I don't think it scored that highly, but for me, it was one of the best. A prayer put to dance.

12. dance234

dance234 New Member

a PA from the PBS show comments on their Facebook group... if you want to make your opinion heard, you could go over there and comment.

13. reb

reb Active Member

and when making your comment - please point them all right back here!

14. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

Hi everyone- I'm new to this site, but anyways I just wanted to say i really enjoyed America's Ballroom Challenge and Yulia and Riccardo rocked the America's Best competition! :D

15. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Me too:) It didn't score that highly but it was really beautiful and my favorite of the standard show dances.

16. reb

reb Active Member

Welcome to Dance Forums DancinDrea19!

See you around . . .

17. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

thank you so much, reb!

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto; welcome to DF DD19! :cheers:

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

I LOVED those two! Couldn't agree more!

20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

From FB:

Hey Folks. Thanks for watching another season of America's Ballroom Challenge! To you viewers in the Bay Area of California, fear not! You will get the chance to see the show when it airs on KQED in May. The station will be airing the show later than most stations so that it coincides with their May fund-raising drive. ~Bethany