Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > America's ballroom challenge returning to PBS

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by debmc, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Tony Meredith called Ben and Shalene's showdance a foxtrot, though. That... irked me. (It was their VW).

2. Born2Ball

Born2Ball New Member

Since the DWTS posts seem ok here I can't help but chime in. IMO the more attention the ballroom community can get, even if it is DWTS related, the better off we are. I hate seeing such a divide; while I understand it, I think it is probably hurting ballroom in the long run.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. pruthe

pruthe Member

More info on the upcoming 2015 America's Ballroom Challenge on PBS, including a new promo video.

http://www.pbs.org/americas-ballroom-challenge/

A recent message by John DePalma on Facebook regarding the promo video. You can click YouTube icon on preview window to go "like" the video.

"Ok Everyone! This is shout out to all my Facebook Friends. ....we need your help! America's Ballroom Challenge is coming back to PBS on April 24th. There is currently a trailer of the show up on YouTube ... out of the 5,500 views there have been only 75 "likes" ... the number of likes are important for PBS and the future funding of the show. .... so PLEASE go to YouTube and "like" the trailer. ... share this with your friends and have then like it too! Important!

MANY THANKS!"

SwayWithMe and scullystwin42 like this.
  4. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I have liked it on the youtubes. Also, I am excited to see it for the dancing and also because I was in the front row for part of it. I'll be the one in the green dress, drinking champagne and eating popcorn and cheering loudly.

debmc and j_alexandra like this.
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Just a friendly reminder that this premiers this Friday.

6. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

First time I've ever added a TV show to my outlook calendar!

ajiboyet and middy like this.
  7. Yanou

Yanou Member

I am ditching my old DVD recorder and have bought a new digital recorder for this program! I need to test it tonight.

middy likes this.
  8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Okay, the autotune is ALREADY set on my satellite.

9. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

For Colorado viewers it will actually start showing on May 1.

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Woo hoo! On my Outlook already with a large Post-it on my kewb wall. Unfortunately my DVR is dead.

11. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Active Member

Viewing parties with friends have been scheduled!

ajiboyet and theAnnelis like this.
  12. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

So excited!! I hope they get good viewership and that my tivo does not screw up!

13. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

I just stumbled across this announcement. America's Ballroom Challenge was last presented in 2006. That was before HDTV. Now we can enjoy a new competition in high definition.

America's Ballroom Challenge Premieres April 24, 2015 at 9/8c on PBS.

"America's Ballroom Challenge is an exciting three-part series that brings together the nation's top ballroom dancers to compete for the title of "America's Best." Hosted by former U.S. dance champions Mary Murphy and Tony Meredith, the series was shot in stunning high definition at the world's largest ballroom dancing competition, the Ohio Star Ball."
    Many PBS stations repeat each episode a couple of times during the week so check your local listings or the PBS America's Ballroom Challenge home page for a time you can watch or record it.

IndyLady likes this.
  14. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

Many PBS stations repeat the episode a couple of times during the week. When that inevitable DVR programming error occurs, check your PBS listings for an alternate showing.

15. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

DVR is set. So excited for this! Rhythm and Smooth are tonight, Latin and Standard next week. I'm not ashamed to say Liana is my reason for living so I will be watching this all the time.

j_alexandra, ajiboyet and IndyLady like this.
  16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Something stupid like 3 AM but also Sunday afternoon here.

17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

10:30 pm here. DVR is set!

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Just finished watching and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I would have liked to have seen more of the actual rounds of pros dancing each of the dances and less of the show dances. The showdances were amazing, but to me a ballroom comp really are those open pro heats where all dance styles are displayed.

FancyFeet and dancelvr like this.
  19. kckc

kckc Active Member

1. I can't wait for next week now!
    2. I agree about the heats- I wanted all of them!
    3. Apparently I would stink as a judge. I ranked the showdances way different than they did. They were all pretty darned good though.

20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Showdances are fun and all, but I'd have rather seen more of the main events. ("Group rounds" indeed.) I feel like I should have known better.

The high def broadcast was pretty fantastic though. Can we get PPV ballroom comps on tv without the commentators, plzthx?

theAnnelis and Hedwaite like this.