Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > America's ballroom challenge returning to PBS

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by debmc, Aug 2, 2014.

1. kckc

kckc Active Member

I forgot to mention the commentators (Mary Murphy and Tony Meredith for those who haven't seen it yet or didn't know). It was nice to have two people who a) know what they are talking about and b) know the competitors. I didn't mind them at all.

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Agree. I didn't care for the commentators . You could tell they were reading straight from scripts at times and IMO Ron Montez was a better "color commentator". Mary Murphy did not impress me either - "Oh, they're so good!" Really? Ya think?

OTOH, it's better than the tripe of DWTS and I once again have no reason to pay $80+ at the next comp to watch a pro show. And I did see a couple people I know in audience shots.

YOMV.

theAnnelis likes this.
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Hah, yes. I played that game as well. I was actually kind of surprised by just how many I was able to pick out. (Four in total.)

middy likes this.
  4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

For anyone who misses this on PBS, you can also stream it from the PBS website.

SwayWithMe likes this.
  5. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

Much better commentators than in the past, but cannot compare to figure skating commentators, (Dick Buttons, Scott Hamilton, etc.)

6. JudeMorrigan

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't horrified by the commentators or anything (and I had a soft spot for Tony Meredith even before the broadcast). I was just saying that in the magical, fictional world where we could get that high quality of broadcast of major comps, I'd just as soon not have people talking over the music. It was pretty much a case of figuring I might as well ask for a unicorn instead of a pony, since I know I'm not going to get either. :D

7. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Amen. I'd also love to get to see exclusively the dancing, and not randomly switch to a "check out this audience member's reaction" shot at any point there's dancing going on. While we're asking for unicorns in the best free ballroom coverage we're likely to get in this country.

debmc and middy like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

this is on sundays at three pm here

9. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

But how did they get Lawrence Welk as the floor announcer?

10. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I'm with all of you. 3-second shots of every couple doing every heat and then ONE dance in the final round wasn't what I was expecting. And I was surprised that in the group swing (it was the swing, right?) they didn't even comment on Emmanuel and Liana or pan to them once, but then when they came out for the showdance they did mention they were the national champs.

Maybe my bias is showing, but I found that really strange. It's not like they didn't have time to comment on all six couples in that one dance they showed. But would it have killed them to buy an extra half hour of airtime so we could at least see the entire finals?

Ah well, beggars, choosers, I guess? On the other hand, the HD was insaaaaaaaane.

The Smooth showdances were absolutely my favorite part, though. You really could see each couple's personality. Interested to see next week's and especially the week 3 show.

debmc and danceronice like this.
  11. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I wish the commentators would not talk over the dancing !!! If they are going to comment, I'd rather hear a critique at the end of each dancing not during the dancing.

I guess I'm in the minority but I prefer watching the Showdances.

I thought the Smooth Showdances were outstanding !!! They seemed more adagio or theatre arts like to me than Smooth but who cares ? They were fantastic !

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Really? I hated almost all the Smooth shows because it was like "And this year, we will all do boring agony-faced waltzes." A couple really ugly lift entries, too. Meanwhile I have some issues with the neon-colored Mambo costume. Taste level, hon. (Not the colors, the bodysuit.) And too many Mambos.

Meanwhile, I would seriously rather have them hire Johnny and Tara from NBC to commentate. I don't mind talking during the dancing, but I do mind when it's all canned stuff that sounds like they're reading teleprompters and trying WAY too hard. Johnny and Tara wouldn't know what they were watching (which means it would be just like their commenting on ice dance) but at least they can make it sound like they're interested. This was horrible. Even when they said something it wasn't worth hearing in any respect. It sounded like they were reading cue cards written by a PBS intern.

flightco, Loki, dancelvr and 2 others like this.
  13. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I know I'm an old-timer, but I MUCH preferred the old "Championship Ballroom Dancing" format, and the glamour of Juliet Prowse.

Phil Owl, SwayWithMe, Loki and 3 others like this.
  14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Now, THAT might make it worth while for me to watch. It's on Sunday afternoon here.

theAnnelis likes this.
  15. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

CHURCH. That costume pair hurt my entire life.

FancyFeet and danceronice like this.
  16. JudeMorrigan

Hehe. That was ... some mambo costume all right. I really am quite glad that I'm dancing in an era of relative taste and restraint where outfits like that are not de rigueur. I mean, even putting aside the skimpiness factor.

17. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Having been there in person, it's interesting the emphasis that the show puts on the showdances vs. the "group" dances. Makes some sense for a non-ballroom audience, but I think they would still enjoy seeing the full rounds, or at least snippets from each dance.

Unfortunately, because the showdances were last and relatively late in the night, probably at least half of the live audience left in a hurry. Oh well, that meant I was able to move up and see from a better position!

Rhythmdancer and theAnnelis like this.
  18. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

OK. Show the group dances too. Just make the first two shows two hours each.

19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Waw Waw Waw !

Not enough variety when the couples pick their own dances for Showdances ? Maybe they should let you dictate to the couples what dance they will perform.

20. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

The history of the America's Ballroom Challenge on Wikipedia sheds light on the problem. Many of us remember the good old days of 2007 and 2008 when this series was 5 episodes long. Each of four episodes was devoted to one dance category. We got a chance to see all the dances in each category as well most of the couples as they danced along with the hosts' commentary. (Am I, perhaps, mixing in memories of Championship Ballroom Dancing of the 80s and 90s?)

Extracted from Wikipedia: America's Ballroom Challenge.

Season 2&3 Category
    Episode 1 American Smooth
    Episode 2 American Rhythm
    Episode 3 International Standard
    Episode 4 International Latin
    Episode 5 Grand Finale​

Now, all of American style is squeezed into one episode as well as International style in one episode. The result is a regrettable loss of continuity and context that we readily notice but to which the casual viewer might be oblivious. Just imagine condensing Gone With The Wind from four hours to two.

It would be interesting to know what drives the decision making of the show's producers. Is it the limitations of their resources or limitations imposed by PBS?

debmc likes this.