Dancers Anonymous > And This Valentine Is For...

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Spitfire, Feb 2, 2005.

1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Women don't know what to buy either. All the neckties I've got are gifts from women. The only one I ever wear is the one I bought myself, and that's about once a year. ;)

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's very true. For me I find it lucky to recieve anything, but I haven't had the best of luck when it comes to V-Day, so I'm happy to get anything at all to a point that I'm not allergic lol. You would be surprised how many women expect differently. ;)

I agree! Now, can you try to tell this to my sister before she loses a great guy lol? But my sister is very money motivated, which some other people are too. But she's the type that if the gift isn't just right, then she's not happy, and she will return it (I've seen her do this). Me I don't care, because I know that money doesn't buy you happiness. But I'm older and I know better. I also know that I can buy the item myself if I want it that badly.

Oh but I will always tell the guy not to get me flowers or anything that is wool. That much I do say, because I am extremely allergic (not all flowers just a few). But I cannot wear anything wool nor be close by wool. Otherwise, I'm happy with whatever lol! :p I do think it's fine if the SO knows this about a person, and to leave it up to them afterwards to figure out what to buy you lol. ;)

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's very true. I had some women come into the shop wanting to add some things to what they've already bought. But mostly they said that they would buy gift certificates to eating places and things so they could go there with their man lol. I thought how smart lol. This way you wouldn't feel guilty for hounding the man for going out to eat to a place that otherwise you wouldn't normally go lol. But yeah the women couldn't figure out what to get their man either to add onto that.

But for you I think that if you danced, that she could focus on dance stuff. I would try to get them to say if their SO had a hobby to where they could get them a gift certificate to buy more lessons or whatever, but the women were still thinking about ties and things like that. So, be happy with a tie lol. The only thing that we can do is suggest stuff, but it's ultimately up to your SO to decide if that's what they want to do. I think that for them it's safer to go with a tie than to a place they've never heard about like a dance shop unless you took them their yourself, so they know what you like lol. :D

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've got no clue what to get DH. None. Whatsoever. Any gift ideas I had for him I blew on Christmas. Now, I'm stuck.

I try to pay attention, really I do!

6. Sagitta

An extra special valentine's present...you pampering him? A greeting when he comes home that leaves little to the imagination...a bubble bath with you in it..and..then drying him off and and and....

Depending on what you usually do on romantic evenings, or regular basis, there is plenty of room to "take it up a notch!" as Emiril Lagasse, tv chef says...Bam! ;-)

The romantic evening my ex-SO and I had on a cold wintery night, in the hot tub outside...still sends chills up my spine.... No sleep that night.... More special than any lameo gift.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Lameo...hah...that's DH's word!

Yeah, the romantic/nekkid thing I could figure out. It's the gift part I can never think of.

8. Sagitta

Make up a little poeme? I'm not sure what your dh likes....but I am more touched by gifts from the heart...like that. And all my SOs have really been touched by them. Last valentine's day it was a poeme. I had a rose attached to a handmade box of chocos to be a specal shape...poeme cut out in special shape too...and all sort of put together. That lady still has that poeme on her board next to her sit down place...even though we are just "friends".

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I wanted to add something regarding this post. I think that it is true that women are also clueless. But in my experience women are also harder on the men, because the men will usually just take whatever is given to them out of respect for the women. Whereas the women are more likely to return the gift that they were given. The women do like to play it safe though, which is usually the way to go if you are clueless. ;)

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Does he drink? I've made a few wine and beer baskets for the men this year. What I would do is I would put in two glasses (with a watch around the bases of the wine glasses depending if they wanted to add something like that), along with whatever he drinks that way. I would also add fun wine charms or beer bands, or things like that as well inside the basket. You can also add a movie that he might enjoy with a coupon book etc. inside the baskets. ;)

11. johns

johns New Member

I think I still have some bottles of the 1990 Bollinger Grande Annee, and possibly one of the 1988 Bollinger R.D. If you prefer Veuve Cliquot, there are a few bottles of La Grande Dame in the cellar...

12. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Actually, neck ties are one item I let ladies know up front not to get unless they really know me well. Even then it isn't a sure bet, but then again, if the receipt is saved, things can be returned. :cool:

13. DancePoet

Allergies could prevent giving some gifts, no doubt.

As for your sister, I'm not sure i'll tell her, but if you sit her down over a cup of coffee one day, see if you can clue her in before materialism ruins her.

14. My quick rule of thumb is if I'm going to get her something to wear I'd get her something one size smaller than she is. Since she's going to exchange it for something else anyway, she at least won't think that you think she's fat! ;)

15. DancePoet

Sometimes it pays to spread the ideas out, rather then use them all up at once. ;)

What does he like?

16. DancePoet

Way to go Sagitta!

17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Haha! My suggestion for men is if you don't know what she likes when it comes to things she wears (including purses etc.), then stay away from those items completely. And if you want to get her those items, then check out her closet to see what she likes. ;)

18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Nope, never could, never will be able to. That's something that my ex could never ever learn, regardless of how many times I told her. And to think that it's men who have the reputation for not listening.

Far into the separation phase, long after I'd moved out, a friend at church asked me what she was currently doing. I replied, "I have no idea. She used to never tell me anything and now she tells me even less."

After 30 years of that and other similar treatment, I'm afraid to get into another relationship because she might be the norm. Maybe it's time to resurrect the "I don't want a relationship" thread again.

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! Yes indeed. Would you rather spend your time in the hospital on V-Day or elsewhere lol?

Oh believe me we've tried. Even his mom said things to her. But she's going to have to learn the hard way if she doesn't want to listen to us. That's ok too. People learn things different ways. ;)

20. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I almost feel like a non-woman because I haven't been able to get really excited about gifts, especially compulsory gifts (Christmas, birthdays, V-Day), since I grew up. I try to do a good job of faking enthusiasm, but DH has learned that's not the way to make me happy. (Yes, he's very good at finding the things that DO make me happy.) I'm also not good about giving gifts either, but I try to be nice to the people I love in other ways instead.

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day to everyone on DF!:-D