Salsa > Any tips on salsa styling?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DancerD, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DancerD

DancerD New Member

Hi all, I am interested to work on my lady salsa styling.
    Any exercises that you can recommend?

2. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

I'm not a lady so probably not the best person to advise, but do you mind me asking how many years experience you have? Styling should come only after certain things like body movement has reached a certain level of familiarity. Also I would advise that styling should never affect lead-follow.

3. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

Oh and welcome to DF DancerD :)

4. Juliskamagyar

Juliskamagyar New Member

I find good Salsa styling tips on Youtube videos.

Not sure why styling needs to wait. It's like walking and chewing gum at the same time. Our salsa instructor had us adding styling moves the third lesson...adds to the fun. 99.99% of dancers are not there for competition.

An aside. Cuban salsa is the norm in my Canadian city (so many Canadians go to Cuba on vacation). Styling is more defined than LA salsa which incorporates more of everything. Having said that, most dancers on the floor just have fun and add what they want. I found tango lessons good for adding some styling to Salsa and Bachata.

5. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

I would suggest body movement classes before adding styling. You need to first learn how your body moves. Hope fully you can then develop your own style. Also If there are afro-cuban classes in your area take full advantage ;)

Jag75 likes this.
  6. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

It's a common misconception that you can learn styling well on YouTube. Like Cali stated you're much better of first leaning body movement. Also styling takes a big back seat to first learning the fundamentals well first and learning how to properly lead and follow.

People assume salsa is a casual dance that does not require a good deal of technique. This is patently wrong. The mechanics of the dance including the body movement and styling involve a very good understanding and practice of technique, and actually will take a lifetime to master. To be competent won't take as long obviously but it's useful to first learn proper body movement and stepping technique before embarking on too much styling.

One more thing - a lady with good fundamentals looks 100x better dancing salsa than one without and doing lots of styling.

CaliChris10 likes this.