Salsa > anyone ever go to a Frankie social?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by yippee1999, Dec 19, 2006.

1. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

I never seem to hear talk of Frankie's socials in the same vein as I do Choco's or Jimmy's or Carlos, etc. I suspect that Frankie's socials are attended by die-hard Frankie people, and that pretty much everybody there dances in that Frankie-way. I'm curious to go to one of his socials, but am wondering what I'll be in for, seeing as his style is so different....

2. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

Theyres alot less people than chocos n jimmys, i thought there would be mostly Frankie types as well but it wasnt so (but it does lean slightly that way). All levels of dancers. If it wasnt that i have a previous engagement i would be going. He DJ's the social and thats a positive as well. Give it a try !!!

3. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Cool! Thanks!

4. Legato Bluesummers

Legato Bluesummers New Member

What is "a Frankie type?"

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

frankie groupies (male or female)

6. noobster

noobster Member

I only went once. It was definitely smaller and quieter than a Sunday social.

I did feel like there were a lot of little Frankie types trolling around. There were some non-Frankies there too but they seemed kind of scared to take the floor. Actually 80% of the crowd was standing around talking.

I didn't know anyone there and I only stayed an hour or two. I think I didn't give it much of a chance though, I might try again sometime in case I just hit a bad night or came too early or something.

7. Lofland

Lofland New Member

What I wouldn't give to be able to dance "that Frankie-way"...

8. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Noobster: that's sort of funny... some people seemed "afraid" to take the floor? I guess they felt they weren't on "home turf". But it's odd, cuz Frankie people don't seem to mind dancing the Frankie-way at NON Frankie socials. So I wonder why the vice-versa? Maybe it had to do with the smaller, more intimate feel at the Frankie social, and the non-Frankies feared they'd stick out on the dance floor cuz there was less of a crowd of dancers for them to hide amongst? :--)

9. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

What's the Frankie way? I mean, I know nothing about NY salsa scene, but I'm just curious ...

10. Salcero

Salcero Member

The 2 most hated-on dance companies in NYC are probably Santo Rico and Abakua. Interesting because their styles are so different.

I was told that Friday may be the last social for awhile because Abakua will be working on an upcoming performance, etc. so it might be worth checking out. If I can make it, I plan to stop by. The studio is smaller than some others and his socials have had to compete with Yambulee, Choco, Angel Ortiz, etc. on occasion so perhaps that has affected the turnout. Plus, I think his socials are $15 for a relatively short amount of time ... may not seem like a lot to some, but in NYC where there are so many options an extra $5 could make a dif.

Frankie DJs and has a great ear for music, but I think many of the people that stand around actually go hoping to see Frankie dance. I have not been to his social, but I was told that he doesn't dance much ... maybe once or twice.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

okay, let's back up a notch for the newb (me) & the non-nyc-dfers...

"frankie", "choco", "jimmy", "carlos"... please to 'splain!

shoot, i'm within driving distance of these socials... tell me what the appeal is for these & where they are! :)

12. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Samina: I think a quick, easy response would be that all the NYC socials we usually mention here (Jimmy's, Carlos', Choco's...) are pretty similar when it comes to the type of dancing you'll see. Frankie's socials (as others here seemed to imply, and as I myself had expected) are a bit different, because Frankie's (the instructor's) style is so different from all the other teachers in the city, and it seems natural that his socials attract mainly those dancers that were trained by him.

If you're not familiar with Frankie's style, check out this link. If I had to explain the difference, I'd say that versus other instructors, Frankie's style has alot of little, quick foot movements, and seems to be less concerned with dancing in a perfect slot imho. It has more of a casual appearance to it and looks less "stagey". Course, that's not to say that Frankie and his afficionados don't attract attention on the dance floor. They can and often do. But the overall style is less like what you might see others do say for a salsa performance.

This is one of my fave Frankie videos. (I don't care much for the woman though...) But my fave part of Frankie's routine is from 00:35-00:43. I love the way he moves in that part!!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kcx_H0kYW6c

As to where and when the socials are, here's a great link to a calendar of salsa clubs/socials in NY.

In general, Choco's/Mambo Fateegz are I think every Friday now, and Jimmy Anton's and Carlos Konig's socials are alternating Sundays from the 5:00-9:00p timeframe more or less (so they never have to compete with each other's socials).

http://salsanewyork.com/calendar.htm

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks, yip.

hey... i like that frankie dude! could we have last names for the others mentioned here? i know it may be sorta square one stuff, but...

gotta start somewhere if one is to get hep to the ny scene...
    ;)

14. Salcero

Salcero Member

You can visit this internet site ... it has the events listed and bios, etc.

http://www.salsanewyork.com/calendar.htm

15. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Why is that? Santo Rico was here in Seattle a few weeks ago and I had fun taking classes with them, dancing with them and watching them dance. They were a swell group to be around even though we are an on-1 town... And their performances were just amazing.... I felt like they were very musical too..

16. Legato Bluesummers

Legato Bluesummers New Member

This thread is hilarious. I love Frankie but I am annoyed at the Frankie types if that makes any sense. There is more than one way to dance salsa (obviously) but the Frankie types think their way is so pure.

17. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

That was a very cool video actually. If I were not so in awe at how easily he dances, I'd say that his style is adorable and cute... It's almost as if all he cares about is being a brat who wants to jump around and have fun...

18. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Ah! I see you point. I can imagine Frankie wannabe's being laughably pathetic... Wanting to be 'goofy' has to come from within.. one of those things that can't be copied much...

19. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

I paid $12 i think the last 2 times. Ending it at 1am did feel alittle short.

I noticed beginners standing around, but who knows maybe they were there just to watch him dance. He danced more than twice.

20. Salcero

Salcero Member

I can't get in the minds of all those people, but if I had to guess the #1 reason would be jealousy. The mambo environment is very competitive. Those 2 dance companies are at the top of their game in their respective dance styles. In addition, in an environment like NYC where salsa/mambo is as much a lifestyle as anything and their is an enormous cultural and historical legacy there may also exist philosophical squabbles about styles, influences, who's #1, etc. ... you name it. Economics comes into play ... there are a myriad of reasons. There is a lot of love in the mambo community as well, but people have their people and sometimes only dance with their people, etc.