General Dance Discussion > Anyone ever taken a break from dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by sbrnsmith, Sep 24, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so sorry to hear this

Kelly Long likes this.
  2. Kelly Long

Kelly Long Member

Thanks fascination. I will keep having hope :)

fascination likes this.
  3. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am struggling with wanting to go back to dancing. Broken foot in September, nearly a year now. I am walking pretty well.
    I want to dance again, but I am afraid. I guess I should start with a group class to see what I can/can't do. At a different studio, so I won't feel...
    many feelings. I've decided not to let a little pain stop me. I miss the joy of dancing. But it's hard to get started. Help?

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Kelly, thank you for your service! Here's hoping you're employed and back on the dance floor soon.

Kelly Long likes this.
  5. fascination

I think you can help yourself greatly by warming the foot up in advance in both tempurature (including massage with a heated rub) and by rotation, flexion, extension, supinating and pronating the foot as well as lightly wrapping it for some added support and doing the same afterward....in addition to honoring our good friend advil if possible...that is what helps me...good luck

chachachacat likes this.
  6. chachachacat

Thank you, Fascination.

What about the fear?

7. fascination

I try to remind myself that stress makes me too stiff...so I try to just have a glass of wine, breathe deeply, and surrender it...love always outruns fear

chachachacat likes this.
  8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I don't understand switching studios. They know about the broken foot, right? Also, except for the expense, I would think that a private lesson with a teacher who knows you would be better. You and the teacher could try different things more easily than you could in a class, plus you wouldn't have to worry about a student accidentally injuring you.

9. chachachacat

RiseNFall, you make excellent points. The thing is, I was a pro. I had to retire because of my heart condition. Years ago.
    I don't really want to see everyone, like my ex-husband and his gf. I want to start out anonomously, then maybe someday I will
    want to go there. I don't want to feel watched in my recovery.

fascination likes this.
  10. RiseNFall

Bolding and "eek" face mine. Well, no, I certainly wouldn't want to go to that studio. As you know, the dance world is pretty small, and people you know will likely hear about your going to another studio. My concern about a class is that it is pretty easy for a student to make an error that would put you off your balance.

Do you have ideas about where you might want to go and what you might want to start with?

Are you more afraid of pain, the difficulty of stepping back into something after that long a break, that you won't be able to do it, or something else I haven't thought of?

chachachacat likes this.
  11. chachachacat

I think you are right about groups; they could be more dangerous. I was just thinking that I could sit down when I wanted to.
    Expense aside, it would be better to take private lessons.

I am afraid of stepping back into dancing and the dance world after a long break. What is my dance identity? I guess I probably won't be teaching anymore, but who knows? I know I won't be as good as I once was, that's a drag, but I still have my inner dancer and years of technique that are likely still there somewhere.

What should I care if people have expectations or criticisms about my dancing? I shouldn't care. They probably don't care anyway. I've just had too long to think about it. Afraid to make a fool of myself by being a bad dancer ~ I guess that's it. I should just go do it!

fascination likes this.
  12. RiseNFall

I am positive that both your inner dancer and all of the technique are still there. Getting back into dancing undoubtedly has the potential to be frustrating because you know much more than you will initially be able to do as you build all of the necessary muscles back up. But yes, I am hoping that you just go do it. There is so much potential for joy as well.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey back into dancing!

fascination likes this.
  13. chachachacat

Thank you so much, RiseNFall, and Fascination! It was very helpful to talk about it and think about it. I think I have broken through a barrier today! YAY!

fascination and RiseNFall like this.
  14. fascination

you know what lady?...it isn't about what anyone else thinks...it is about your soul and your life....live it savor it...don't hand it to people who don't understand

debmc, raindance and chachachacat like this.
  15. chachachacat

F ~ You are so right!!
    It's a new era ~ dancing for myself!
    Yay! Tyvm!

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that... I've been in that same position.

Kelly Long likes this.
  17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Chachachacat, I can sympathize with you, given that I'm recovering from a difficult injury myself. First and foremost, no matter the pain or fear, any incapacity caused by your injury, or any concern that you've lost a bit of your professional skills, you still have to remember the first rule when you walk into the studio: leave your ego at the door!

On a totally practical front, are you able to take a few sessions with a Physical Therapist? If so, take along some photos or a short video clip to show the PT what your foot has to do, and tell the PT to tailor some exercises for your foot that will allow it to move like a dancer's foot as much as possible. And then do everything the PT tells you to do. EVERYTHING.

At your dance lessons, work with what you've got. Yes, you want to dance and you need your foot, but at this stage think about dance as part of your physical therapy. Acknowledge that your foot needs to recover and make accommodations for that, and instead use more time to work on upper body things that may need some attention. If you're very lucky like I am, you have a Pro in mind who will treat the situation as an exercise in creativity, helping you figure out how to use your foot to strengthen it and not re-injuring it.

And the hardest part – accept that your recovery likely will not be totally linear. Just when you think you've got beyond a certain limitation with your foot – BAM! – some nerve-ending will come back to life or you will re-discover a muscle that hasn't worked right in a while, and it will hurt. So sometimes is actually a friend, not a foe – but geez, it can be hard to distinguish between the two sometimes.

Don't stop working at it – good luck!

18. chachachacat

Thank you so much, Cal! So much good advice! I want to make a poster of all the good advice I have received on this thread!
    Excellent advice for the PT.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  19. chachachacat

"If you're very lucky like I am, you have a Pro in mind who will treat the situation as an exercise in creativity, helping you figure out how to use your foot to strengthen it and not re-injuring it."

I wish I had a trusted Pro to return to, but I do not. That would be wonderful and easy.
    I have started to research the pros in the area to find someone. Unfortunately, the most well-known Latin and Rhythm pros are at that studio with my ex.

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Oh, hon, you'll be okay. I had my job yanked out from under me a couple years ago and for a while not only didn't know when I'd get another or if I'd have to move for it...you keep plugging away and get back to it when you can. Things will turn around (I'm finally getting back to my 'real' career area after two years of crap kitchen jobs.)

Kelly Long likes this.